Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Look what followed me home! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went for a ride yesterday. Look at what followed me home!
Attachment:
2thirds.JPG

Why is this in the DIY section, I hear you asking? (Between all the cussing and laughing...)

I am going to try to get this truck going, and on the road as my daily driver.

I intend to document at least parts of it, here in this thread.

I work really slow, so this may take a very long time. The biggest slowdown will be budget. I'll do what work I can, when I can afford the parts. Other than that, I don't always have the time. And I don't always have the health.

So, bear with me, if it sometimes seems like I will never get finished, or maybe even forever to get to the next problem to be solved.

I love this truck! I REALLY want to get it back on the road.

As it sits right now...

I have it anchored to an anchor point I have, up the hill, via a chain. And my running truck is backed right up against it like that. Because I am not sure of the brakes or anything else at this point.

It has been sitting for a few years. Was working and driving, when it was parked.

The brake pedal is difficult to push down, and when pushed down will not return on it's own. It is difficult to pry back up, as well. No idea if the brakes actually work.

Key tumbler is broken. A new replacement came with the truck. I will be installing the new one, myself.

There is a problem with either the torque converter, or the TCC solenoid. My research indicates that it is most likely the solenoid. Since no "rattling marbles" sound was reported when I asked about it.

Batteries are completely dead. And it appears there are probably some electrical problems.

Injectors and/or pump may need to be replaced.

If I find other problems I'll add them to the list, here.

My first job, today is to get it jockeyed around and parked where I need it to be parked.

Where it "needs" to be parked, may change in the future. But for now, I just need to get it secured, and blocked, so it can't get away. I have a very steep driveway, and this is sitting at the top. If it gets away, and rolls down the driveway, it will go over the cliff that is on the other side of the road from my driveway. And be lost forever. So I guess you might say that today I am on a quest to eliminate the butt pucker possibilities/causes.

I am debating on what should be the next task after that.

Doing the key tumbler seems the logical next step. Do something fairly easy, and that I already have the parts for. Kind of get an initial victory under my belt, to keep the morale up.

Also logically, the next step might seem to be to figure out the brakes. But I will get this thing anchored and blocked today, so that there is no way it could break loose and get away, even if I got it running and put it in drive.

I think the next logical step instead is going to be to get some good batteries in it and try to get it started and running.

Best that it be running anyway, if you really want the brakes to work. And if I can't get it running, then there is no point in putting money into the brakes. We could easily be looking at replacing most of the brake system. From the master cylinder, to the wheel cylinders, complete brake job, etc. It's been sitting and rusting for several years. It's actually more likely than not that I'll also have to replace the lines. We'll see. Real point is, the brakes will wait until I know I have a running truck, and it's worth tearing into them.

The vitals on the truck...

1992 F250
7.3idi no turbo
E40D
It has a digital odometer, so I will have no idea how many miles are on it until I get the batteries and switch replaced.

It doesn't have locking gas caps on it. So I will have to buy some of those before I put any fuel in. The tweakers would have the tanks empty before I could get from the truck to my front door.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that you are determined to get it back on the road. They are great trucks. On the tumbler, can you get it to rotate? Ford made their steering columns so you cant get the tumbler out easily without turning it. If you can, simply push the small pin in on the bottom and it pops out. It is important on fords to change the tumbler out when they start to give issues. Unlike a Chevy where you can take the tumbler out by taking the steering wheel off. Good and bad for both, I can put a new tumbler in a Gm in less than 10 minutes. Easy for thieves, easy for a mechanic. If you cant turn it, you will have to drill that small detent on the bottom of the column and either drill the lock or use a slide hammer to pop the small aluminum T sticking out of the end.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is that an SUV?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Is that an SUV?

Whyyyy I aughta......

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It followed you home with no Brakes.....and it didn't Rear end you? :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
It followed you home with no Brakes.....and it didn't Rear end you? :bigsmile:

It's a MIRACLE!!! :bigsmile:

After all that, I can't tell the poor thing to go away, now can I? :wink05:

Well, I got it 'parked' So it's out of the way. Man, am I worn out! Probably walked up and down the hill at least 20 times. (Just once, leaves me completely out of breath. Enlarged heart.) Dragging chains, cables, pulleys, shackles, etc...

Get it all set up. Pull a little. Chock the truck in place, to make slack... So you can take all the rigging down, and move it and set it back up again, because now you have to pull a different direction. Lather rinse repeat... Lots of little corrections in the middle, where you have to make several trips up and down.

Yeah, it was a chore. But I think I have it in a place where I can work on it some.

Wish I had some ice cream!

Do justice. Love mercy.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a similar truck, in similar condition.
I had to main issues, and lots of little issues. Fuel system and Glow Plugs.

Glow plugs are the easy part. They aren't terribly expensive and they are easy to swap out. Even easier to test without taking them out. The worst part is the relay, it's location jammed up against the firewall, It's price, and the fact that it's touching coolant, so it'll want to leak. I ended up doing the 'manual switch' conversion for the glow plugs, as the relay/timer assembly was just dumb. I put it on a momentary button and just held it down for 20 seconds before I started on cold days. I should also mention that if you've overheated a glow plug, be really careful pulling it out. If you can pressurize that cylinder before pulling one, do it, so you don't loose a piece of it later.

The second part was fuel delivery. Low pressure pumps go out fairly frequently, but thankfully starving the high pressure pump normally doesn't wipe it out like on some other designs (cough cough Cummins). Pretty easy to swap it out. Where most guys get stuck is the water separator. There is a spring loaded drain valve on the bottom of the can that is notorious for not sealing back up well, leaking air into your system. You'll think that you've pumped enough to bleed all the air out, but NOPE.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess that "worn out" is relative, when you are excited about a new toy! LOL

Rested a bit and got back to work.

Got the key tumbler replaced.

Attachment:
old key.JPG

This is the steering column from underneath, with the cover removed. This job can be done with the cover still in place, but is a lot easier with it off, because you can see what you are doing.

There is a small hole in that red circle. There is a pin inside that hole that has to be pushed in, so you can remove the tumbler.

Attachment:
off.JPG

I hope you can see the pin I am talking about, in this pic.

In this pic, the key is in the "off" position, in the old tumbler. That pin is sticking out, and cannot be pushed in.

Attachment:
on.JPG

And in this pic, the key is in the "run" position, within the tumbler. The pin can be pushed in now. (I did so, and it stays.)

Then the tumbler can be pulled out of the steering column.

This one didn't come out very easily, but with some fumbling and careful, gentle prying, I got it out of there.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I'll show you the two tumblers together.
Attachment:
cylinders.JPG

You'll see that on the old one, the "wings" have been broken off. That is why it was difficult to remove.

Attachment:
old key 1.JPG

This is the old tumbler still in there.

Attachment:
new key in.JPG

And this is the new tumbler installed.

I wish my camera would take a pic that would actually show the pin inside that hole.

Done. Tumbler is all the way in. Turns smoothly. And will not come back out without the key.

I'll probably remove it at least once more, so I can squirt a bunch of lube down there inside the steering column.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also had another look under the hood.

Brake reservoir on the master cylinder was completely empty.

I'll have to buy some brake fluid tomorrow. But this doesn't bode well.

Aside from having to bleed the entire system now, I'll also be looking for a major leak somewhere.

That stuff doesn't just evaporate out of that plastic reservoir.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
Also had another look under the hood.

Brake reservoir on the master cylinder was completely empty.

I'll have to buy some brake fluid tomorrow. But this doesn't bode well.

Aside from having to bleed the entire system now, I'll also be looking for a major leak somewhere.

That stuff doesn't just evaporate out of that plastic reservoir.

True that, a quick look at the wheel cylinders in the back & the calipers on the front will tell the tale.
Good luck with your project from a fellow Ford guy.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lock cylinder is something I need to do on my van. It's missing the ears like yours was. Last time I let a friend borrow it he broke the key off in the cylinder

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
The lock cylinder is something I need to do on my van. It's missing the ears like yours was. Last time I let a friend borrow it he broke the key off in the cylinder

If the key is still broken off in there, and the wings are gone...

Find a thin screwdriver, or a knife with a thin point, etc. Poke it in beside the key, to turn the tumbler. (Or just use whatever method you have already been using. LOL)

I found that just turning it to "run", as per the instructions, isn't quite enough to do the job. You need to use a drill bit or something, and push on that pin (Keep pushing.). Then turn the lock cylinder a bit in either/both directions, and wiggle it a bit, until you not only feel the pin push in, (That's not enough), but you feel the cylinder loosen up in the bore. Bottom line, you need to gently tweak things until it is very easy to slide that lock cylinder out. Believe me, you'll know when that has been accomplished.

At that point I used a small screwdriver, found a gap, and gently pried. It moved maybe a 32d of an inch. Pried again, another 16th. After about three pries, I was able to just grab it and pull it right out.

I'd do it for you, just for the fun of it, and a handshake, if you were anywhere near.

Gotta say to everyone, though... This is something that you want to be very careful doing. A lot of people screw it up and end up spending hours drilling, and taking it out in pieces. Damaging the bore, while they are at it. And many end up having to replace other parts in the steering column.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s a long road. Keep slogging!

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

If the key is still broken off in there, and the wings are gone...

Find a thin screwdriver, or a knife with a thin point, etc. Poke it in beside the key, to turn the tumbler. (Or just use whatever method you have already been using. LOL)

I found that just turning it to "run", as per the instructions, isn't quite enough to do the job. You need to use a drill bit or something, and push on that pin (Keep pushing.). Then turn the lock cylinder a bit in either/both directions, and wiggle it a bit, until you not only feel the pin push in, (That's not enough), but you feel the cylinder loosen up in the bore. Bottom line, you need to gently tweak things until it is very easy to slide that lock cylinder out. Believe me, you'll know when that has been accomplished.

At that point I used a small screwdriver, found a gap, and gently pried. It moved maybe a 32d of an inch. Pried again, another 16th. After about three pries, I was able to just grab it and pull it right out.

I'd do it for you, just for the fun of it, and a handshake, if you were anywhere near.

Gotta say to everyone, though... This is something that you want to be very careful doing. A lot of people screw it up and end up spending hours drilling, and taking it out in pieces. Damaging the bore, while they are at it. And many end up having to replace other parts in the steering column.

I got it out. Wasn't my first rodeo with a Ford ignition. I've had a few of those parts break in my '87 F150

Just haven't gotten around to replacing the cylinder

Are you just going to use two keys from now on (doors and ignition separate?) or get a locksmith to repin the locks?

My '87 has two keys anyway so I'm used to it but the van has one key for everything and it's kinda nice not having to think about it

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next