Switch to full style
Do-It-Yourselfers, let's talk about home, auto and other non-gun related projects!
Post a reply

Stamping lowers at home

Thu May 02, 2019 7:34 am

Has anyone used the Harbor Freight metal stamps to mark your (unmarked) 80's?
Did it work?
How did it turn out?
Recommend or not?

Re: Stamping lowers at home

Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 am

Used these quite a bit. Because each letter is an individual stamp, It is difficult to achieve uniform spacing between letters. also a bit difficult to keep all letters straight. Depending on where you stamp, I would be concerned with bowing the receiver wall. Definitely support the underside of the receiver wall by backing it with a something stiff.

Thu May 02, 2019 8:09 am

7075 is hard stuff. I don't know that you'll get a good stamp on it. Probably end up looking like a kindergarten art project

$30 at Hyperion is the way to go if you ask me

Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 am

ever thought of using vinyl graphics electricity and acid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cojdY1AWGDo

Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 am

Arisaka wrote:Used these quite a bit. Because each letter is an individual stamp, It is difficult to achieve uniform spacing between letters. also a bit difficult to keep all letters straight. Depending on where you stamp, I would be concerned with bowing the receiver wall. Definitely support the underside of the receiver wall by backing it with a something stiff.

Well, since it is still a "paper weight", it is pretty solid so no problems smacking it with a 5lb sledge.
I just need to put either SAFE - FIRE or NO GO - GO. Something simple.
Etching would be nice, I just don't have the patience for that.
Any is better than trying to use a Dremel freehand.

EDIT:
After another cup of coffee, I have just decided to drill a small dot. Paint white for safe and red for fire.

Thanks for the ideas.

Thu May 02, 2019 9:41 am

Huh, was thinking about using these to put a custom serial on my P80 glock. I'm guessing it might work better on the (tin?) strip in the rail?

Thu May 02, 2019 10:48 am

This guy recently stamped his GM Hydramatic clone.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/gm-cl ... 23-739576/

Thu May 02, 2019 10:49 am

TINCANBANDIT wrote:ever thought of using vinyl graphics electricity and acid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cojdY1AWGDo

Could also do the vinyl with a blast cabinet to get it a little deeper

Thu May 02, 2019 8:17 pm

Arisaka wrote:Used these quite a bit. Because each letter is an individual stamp, It is difficult to achieve uniform spacing between letters. also a bit difficult to keep all letters straight. Depending on where you stamp, I would be concerned with bowing the receiver wall. Definitely support the underside of the receiver wall by backing it with a something stiff.

I use them as well, most recently to mark my SBR lower. It works well, but takes some practice. It helps if you use a guide at least to have the letters aligned vertically so it doesn't look like you did it while drunk.

I always stamp the letter I'm about to strike on a separate piece of scrap first, to make double sure it's not upside down or something stupid like that. Also different letters require a different amount of force to stamp to an even depth, so practice that. B for example takes a lot harder whack than T or I to get the same stamped depth.
Post a reply