Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Show your Gardening in 2019 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

twolane wrote:
Lol. You don't keep a waist line like that by not eating everything in sight.
When the tomatoes ripen he'll eat them right off the plant. No broccoli is safe either!

My dogs ate ALL my broccoli one year. Dogs love that stuff.

In my picture above

2 Jalapeño plants

2 Sweet Italian

2 Pablano

1 Anaheim

1 Cubanelle

1 Habañero

1 Serano

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri May 10, 2019 11:51 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

:bow:

We planted peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkins, other squashes and gourds...
We're a bit behind this year.

We also "liberated" about 40 blueberry plants, half a dozen asparagus, the grapes, a bunch of strawberry plants that went feral while we were full time in Montana.
Won't be completely finished this year... But next year the garden will produce big time.
A few days ago I took 3 rabbits and two more starlings from the vicinity of the garden.

Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just finished weeding and rototilling the vegetable garden. Not much to show yet, other than raspberries and some parsley and onions that wintered over. But it was a lot of damn work!

Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is as far as my garden goes:

Sat May 11, 2019 3:54 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

We planted a bunch of hot pepper plants this week and two of them were the "Ghost Pepper." I was looking forward to harvesting these.
My oldest son brought a bag of "Ghost pepper" flavored corn chips yesterday... He knows I enjoy very hot-spicy food.
I hadn't tasted Ghost Peppers before. I was disappointed. Heat was nice, but the flavor is not as good as traditional hot peppers to my taste buds.

We also planted ~30 raspberry starts to regrow the patch that was killed by blackberries and nettles when we moved back to MT fulltime a few years ago. Gah. Have to wait a year + to harvest raspberry goodness.

Sat May 18, 2019 9:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raspberries are the best! Are you done unloading your haul from the show yet?....and did Z66 follow you home? icon_eek

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 18, 2019 9:36 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

usrifle wrote:
Raspberries are the best! Are you done unloading your haul from the show yet?....and did Z66 follow you home? icon_eek

Yeah, love raspberries! In a few years we should be overflowing with them.
We're rebuilding several of the perennial stocks... Asparagus, strawberries, rhubarb - we thought that we lost all of those, but during the liberation of the blueberry bushes and grapevines we found stragglers hanging on.

The Dread Princess is such a sweetheart... much better than I deserve : She unloaded the gun show loot, except for a couple of heavier buckets and items, which The Balrog took care of while I took a breather in the recliner and shouted instructions about where to put the items.

Sat May 18, 2019 9:48 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

The thunderstorm and deluge did a number on the younger plants, and put the beat down on even a few of the bigger plants.

One of the deluges hit so hard and quick, and I was walking between the new house and the workshop... I was soaked to the skin, actually took clothes off right inside the door to avoid leaving a trail of water. A nice hot shower fixed my temperament.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:41 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

We're reclaiming a pretty decent garden from 5-6 years of no adult supervision... The blackberries and grapes were in a titanic struggle for dominance, and it looked like the blackberries would have eventually won out.

Today I was tilling an area that we'd cut down but hadn't worked the soil. I hit something pretty tough and for a few minutes there was a rhythmic thump that jarred my fragile little body with each revolution of the tines. I wasn't in a spot I wanted to stop at, so I turned back to an open area and worked my way over, expecting to find a bent or broken tine.

hah, Blackberries are some tough SOBs. It was a root crown that the pretty sharp tiller tines couldn't cut through, even while beating against untilled earth. The sharp tine had cut half way through the root, then stopped cold. Had to take a hammer to knock that chunk of root out.

We're so busy with other projects (new house, shop work, a job for Mr Massive, planting trees, other pretty major landscaping, firewood, machine shop, Jeebus... I could go on!) that we're not keeping up 100% with the garden.
We've already harvested some peppers, greens, strawberries, a few spears of asparagus,

In some cases the major landscaping just means reclaiming acreage from blackberries. The things may be alien invaders. There are still several fruit trees that are completely overrun with blackberries. I am desperate to liberate all of them and get this place back in order.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was what was left for us by previous owners...
Hops, strawberries, raspberries, onions, herbs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:20 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

That looks nice Brian. Raised beds are far superior to old fashioned garden plots.
The deer where we have our place in Montana are a scourge. I believe that they found some way to defeat the electric fence... Maybe one of the young bucks is required by the clan to sacrifice himself for a few seconds to let everyone else through. Maddening...
They destroyed my fruit trees and my vegetable and berry starts three years running.

When we have more time to work on the MT place we'll put up an 8' fence around the entire garden and orchard.
And then I'll make up for all the thievery by plopping a bunch of venison in the freezers.

When we get over to visit you at your new place, may I take a cutting of your hops? I had 4 varieties growing in WA before we left, can't find a trace of any of them now.

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely. Hops away with clippings.;)

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
All I grow are peppers, well and I planted my wife's yellow and red cherry tomatoes.

May 10 to June 21:

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:15 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

PMB wrote:
That looks nice Brian. Raised beds are far superior to old fashioned garden plots.
The deer where we have our place in Montana are a scourge. I believe that they found some way to defeat the electric fence... Maybe one of the young bucks is required by the clan to sacrifice himself for a few seconds to let everyone else through. Maddening...
They destroyed my fruit trees and my vegetable and berry starts three years running.

When we have more time to work on the MT place we'll put up an 8' fence around the entire garden and orchard.
And then I'll make up for all the thievery by plopping a bunch of venison in the freezers.

When we get over to visit you at your new place, may I take a cutting of your hops? I had 4 varieties growing in WA before we left, can't find a trace of any of them now.

I volunteer as tribute to annually manage your deer population. :bigsmile:

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next