Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 DIY SAFE WEED KILLER - CHEAP 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

JohnMBrowning wrote:
If you want to clean it up easily, pick up one of these...
https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-t ... 91037.html
I picked one up ~15 years ago and while it doesn't get used much, it really makes it easy to clean up all the dead grass/weeds. It will leave the area black until a good rain, but it has the added benefit of roasting all the remaining seeds.... Its good fun at dusk too.
I have just shy of 1/4 acre of gravel with the driveway... everything will brown out in the summer and this just makes for an easy way to do a full clear of the gravel --- weed wack and burn.

On a potentially related note, I kind of got in trouble a few times as a kiddo. My father smoked cigarettes, and I'd ask him if he actually enjoyed smoking them... Because it looked like a habit, not a pleasure.
Who wants to hear shit like that from a 12 year old right?
I learned the trick of removing the bullet from a 22 rimfire cartridge and finding nifty things to do with the powder.
The gunpowder does not look like cigarette ash, but who stares at the ashes in an ashtray to really check them out?

My dad started really examining the ash tray before he'd roll the ash off the tip. In my naive 12-year-old way I thought that I was doing him a favor by livening up his day occasionally.

This just occurred to me as potentially relevant since learning that unburnt gunpowder is good for growing things, and then JohnMBrowning had to mention running a flame over the ground... For the right person I might be tempted to dispose of some old powder outside.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i've got a 1lb jug of mixed pistol/rifle powder i've been saving just for such occasion :wink05:

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
On a potentially related note, I kind of got in trouble a few times as a kiddo. My father smoked cigarettes, and I'd ask him if he actually enjoyed smoking them... Because it looked like a habit, not a pleasure.
Who wants to hear shit like that from a 12 year old right?
I learned the trick of removing the bullet from a 22 rimfire cartridge and finding nifty things to do with the powder.
The gunpowder does not look like cigarette ash, but who stares at the ashes in an ashtray to really check them out?

My dad started really examining the ash tray before he'd roll the ash off the tip. In my naive 12-year-old way I thought that I was doing him a favor by livening up his day occasionally..

At the local wrecking yard there is an ash tray out front, attached to the building. My buddy always has a string of "lady fingers", ya know the little tiny pink fire crackers?!?

He will hollow out a smoke and stuff a lady finger in there and then pack some tabacky back in front and give it a slight burn/toast so it looks like its been lit before. Then it goes on the edge of the ashtray so it looks like someone was smoking and the phone rang and they left it behind.

It NEVER fails, the same old bum lady walks by at about noon and picks thru the ash tray looking for resmoke butts. She sees the firecracker smoke and gets a huge grin every time, like a lottery win!!

The smile,,,, the light,,,,, the draw,,,,, BANG!!!! It gets her every time!! It happens about 2-3 times a month and she still picks em up and lights them! Then she looks thru the winders and flips us off while we are laughing our ass off and she walks away with her shopping cart of rotten filth and her pocket full of burnt resmoke butts!

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:58 pm

So MV, how'd the area turn out? Did you have to reapply?

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what it looks like now:

Grasses and clovers died pretty quick but the broad leafed crap is still alive.
Maybe i just need to spray the plants individually or just pour pure salt down on them.

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Hmmmm.... good to know that the salt really only works on the grasses -- the broad leaf ones can be pretty tuff, I've found that any of the weed-b-gones do a pretty good job on the broadleafs anyways, but it usually takes a while to kill them off.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bout to do this

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 am

Old Growth wrote:
When I was a kid I remember dogs died from old age and parvo.

Now tons of dogs die from cancer. I wont spray that shit anywhere on my property, ever.

When Im driving around I can smell that shit a mile away when someone has sprayed weedkillers. Bad shit.

One of my good friends lost his dad to the same kinda cancer that roundup causes. He was a super landscape guy and used GALLONS of that poison. Doc recommended my friend get a lawyer.

And with the recent evidence of glyphogene (or however that crap is spelled) causing cancer in people who have used it I won't have it anywhere near my house. I've already had some rare cancer, my dog just had a toe removed because of cancer... yeah, not taking anymore chances.

I've had great luck with the high strength vinegar mixed with a little dish soap and salt. Weeds, blackberries, grass (that might be an oops haha), and even the moss I tried it on that was on a fence.
Not something you want to ingest, or get on your skin for too long, but it washes away pretty quickly in the rain and isn't nearly as toxic as the weed poisons.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:25 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I've been working on perfecting my DIY weedkiller.
Spoiler: show
Attachment:
DIY Weedkiller.jpg

I wouldn't recommend it as a quick or cheap weedkiller.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wouldn’t recommend if you wanna keep your health insurance rates down either.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Wouldn’t recommend if you wanna keep your health insurance rates down either.

:rofl9: :rofl9: :rofl9:

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:

The look in her eye always cracks me up! :ROFLMAO:

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:37 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

NWGunner wrote:
PMB wrote:

The look in her eye always cracks me up! :ROFLMAO:

You ain't kidding! She's genuinely hilarious. I didn't post the ones where she was actually hamming it up.

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:44 pm

I tried this a while back. My yard smelled like salad dressing and the weeds continued to grow.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

czgunner wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Frankly I was very doubtful. Dandelions basically disappear. Finer grasses need more mist spray, probably better in an el cheapo pump sprayer.

No idea how it works on the nasty stuff like vines, blackberry, equisetum. Nothing kills that stuff

Crossbow is what you need for blackberry

Crossbow for the win. This is what my landscaping company uses. It'll kill just about anything

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3