Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 I’m torn need input 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So in a different thread I alluded to my sons destroying our living room table so I want to build a new table of similar design, the current table Is the chest kind where the interior is a storage compartment and the lids slide out, boys broke the lid and I didn’t really like it’s construction anyways so now I have an excuse to build a new one now the question is what do I make it out of, I’m Leary about using Home Depot wood because of its notoriety for warping the second you pick it up off the rack, home milled wood would be awesome to use however I don’t have a mill. What’s yalls thoughts and opinions

Albert Einstein

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crosscut hardwoods in Seattle will have what you need. For durability you will want a hardwood. Alder or popular are your cheapest options. Oak is always a good choice. Cherry is affordable, but can be a pain to stain as it can come out splotchy. And there are many exotic species you could use. You can also use hardwood plywood, available at Crosscut, which is probably what I would do. It is a good choice for cost and stability.

Find a pic on the web of a table that appeals to you. There are also lots of free plans on the internet. Design strong joints, especially at the corners and edges. Think dovetail, box joints, tongue and groove and the like. If you want pull out drawers, then use a face frame construction over a carcass that is built with dados and rabbet joints.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Crosscut hardwoods in Seattle will have what you need. For durability you will want a hardwood. Alder or popular are your cheapest options. Oak is always a good choice. Cherry is affordable, but can be a pain to stain as it can come out splotchy. And there are many exotic species you could use. You can also use hardwood plywood, available at Crosscut, which is probably what I would do. It is a good choice for cost and stability.

Find a pic on the web of a table that appeals to you. There are also lots of free plans on the internet. Design strong joints, especially at the corners and edges. Think dovetail, box joints, tongue and groove and the like. If you want pull out drawers, then use a face frame construction over a carcass that is built with dados and rabbet joints.

I was thinking maple or oak maybe alder, I was going to break out my forge and make outside corner bands kind of like the old school “treasure”chests, has to be soft enough I can do some carving on with hand carvers I want to make it special for my wife not just a plain box like what the current one looks like

Albert Einstein

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:21 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Give me some idea of the dimensions that you're looking for.. If I have what you're looking for and your schedule will allow you to meet me right off I-5 next week, we can make it happen.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hardwoods are not always hard. "Hardwood" just means its a deciduous tree.

Many hardwoods like alder and poplar/cottonwood are very soft. Oldgrowth fir is harder than many hardwoods. and vice versa.

People dont tend to need a hardwood when they think they do.

Many of us have cedar deck boards. They get walked on everyday and dont get beat up.

I sell softwoods to MANY people that come out thinking that they want a hardwood. Then they see something like a Giant Sequoia slab and are in love.

Dont underestimate our local woods. They are a treasure.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Hardwoods are not always hard. "Hardwood" just means its a deciduous tree.

Many hardwoods like alder and poplar/cottonwood are very soft. Oldgrowth fir is harder than many hardwoods. and vice versa.

People dont tend to need a hardwood when they think they do.

Many of us have cedar deck boards. They get walked on everyday and dont get beat up.

I sell softwoods to MANY people that come out thinking that they want a hardwood. Then they see something like a Giant Sequoia slab and are in love.

Dont underestimate our local woods. They are a treasure.

All excellent and often unknown or misunderstood points. :bow:
Lots of beautiful and structural "softwood" out there worth considering. Given the opportunity I'd definitely get something from Mr. Old Growth or Brother PMB (Mike).

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup Balsa wood is a hardwood. The specialty wood from Lowes and Home Depot are perfectly fine. I have had zero issues with it. The garbage is their dimensional stuff like 2x4s. Its usually Hemlock not Doug Fir. Its twists and warps when it dries out.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Yup Balsa wood is a hardwood. The specialty wood from Lowes and Home Depot are perfectly fine. I have had zero issues with it. The garbage is their dimensional stuff like 2x4s. Its usually Hemlock not Doug Fir. Its twists and warps when it dries out.

Didn’t know they had a specialty wood section other than carrying just oak

Albert Einstein

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve had minimal problems with home center woods, however I am more of a hobbyist/DIYer. Both Home Depot and Lowes carry a decent selection, however I think HD has a better selection, but personally shop at Lowes for the discount. Keep an eye out for edge damage or warping, particularly if you’re buying treated wood. Make sure you store sheet goods flat once you get them home.

If you’ve got the time, check out Edensaw in Port Townsend. Not sure if you’re within their delivery radius, but $400+ orders come with free delivery to Kitsap.

http://www.edensaw.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PS What are the dimension of the table you’re looking to build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Main body is 40” long by 20”wide and 24” tall the table top is 42”long by 19.5” wide and splits in the middle, however I can customize off those numbers for a bigger table

Albert Einstein

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]