Switch to full style
Do-It-Yourselfers, let's talk about home, auto and other non-gun related projects!
Post a reply

Brake Fluid Flush?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:11 am

Yeah or nay? Car is a 2015 Honda Odyssey at the dealership (vehicle has 29K miles)

Last time I researched this was almost 20 years ago - and no one has recommended it to me since then. Back then, I was told not to do it because it was unnecessary and would often break the seals causing leaks. My stepdad (new car auto mechanic) was firm believer in NOT doing it.

I know things change and my stepdad has been retired for 16 years.

What’s the final word?

Re: Brake Fluid Flush?

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:31 am

Brake fluid is hydroscopic. Meaning it absorbes moisture from the atmosphere. Once it absorbes enough moisture, the boiling point drops, which can cause brake fade and corrosion to the ferrous components in the system. I flush mine every other year.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:35 am

bleed it a little if its a little milky change it

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:00 am

I would, after a while water can introduce its self to the system, the fluid also gets hot and can break down over time too.

I personally get fluid with the highest boiling point (550-600*) because I beat on my cars, but I'd never get the lowest temp. To me it seems that a better fluid has a high boiling point, also if I have to get on the brakes hard im still no where near the BP, where a fluid that is 300* is much closer. I figure that would help with longevity

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:05 pm

every 2 years. that's never changed.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:19 pm

Free Boer wrote:Brake fluid is hydroscopic. Meaning it absorbes moisture from the atmosphere. Once it absorbes enough moisture, the boiling point drops, which can cause brake fade and corrosion to the ferrous components in the system. I flush mine every other year.

The corrosion part is where it'll start getting expensive. Master cylinder, ABS Valve(s), calipers, etc.
It is a good idea to do it as preventative maintenance. Use DOT 4 fluid as it has a higher boiling point than DOT 3. DOT 5 is silicone synthetic and is not interchangeable with 3 and 4. Do not mix them unless you want to shell out big $$ to rebuild your brake hydraulic system.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:24 pm

I’m not a mechanic, nor a “car guy”. However, I set my 2000 Silverado out to pasture at 275,000+ miles in 2017. I flushed the system less than a handful of times.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:53 pm

As others have said it absorbs moisture which lowers boiling point and causes corrosion in the system. You can buy test strips that will tell you if it needs changing. Being an Odyssey boiling will probably not be an issue. The only time I had brakes boil and fade was towing a car on a dolly out of the mountains. It was scary as hell. My rule of thumb in daily drivers is once the fluid starts to change color I flush it. Not scientific in any way. The fluid should be clear. I would not lose sleep over a rig with 30k miles unless you just want to spend some money.

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:03 pm

unless you have DOT5..... every 2 yrs is a good number.

DO NOT MIX DOT5 WITH ANYTHING ELSE!

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:14 am

My red Harley is on the original DOT 5 since when I bought it new in 1993.
Still firm like and brakes like the day I bought it.
Been through 3-4 sets of pads.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:57 am

Guntrader wrote:My red Harley is on the original DOT 5 since when I bought it new in 1993.
Still firm like and brakes like the day I bought it.
Been through 3-4 sets of pads.

DOT5 is silicone based... and is hydrophobic..IOTW it repels water.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:36 am

HK_Dave wrote:every 2 years. that's never changed.

Exactly, and that is from manufacturers.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:19 am

If there's a visible difference between new fluid and the fluid in your brake system, already WAY past time to change.
Don't wait for that change.

Moving this thread to DIY.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:00 am

~
Scotty Kilmer, mechanic for 51 years (he's on youtube) says yes

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:13 am

Capn Blood wrote:~
Scotty Kilmer, mechanic for 51 years (he's on youtube) says yes

WHAT????!!?? He didn't say that something was going to KILL YOUR CAR!!!! And never to do that?
Post a reply