Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 My Wheeler 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So this is getting closer to completion.
This is kind of a convoluted story so stick with me.
My buddy Bodhi originally built this 4Runner as a family rig. His idea of family rig is a little more robust than some people's.
The original thread is on pirate 4x4 under blueberry krunch. Author Mr Stubbs.
So a buddy of mine bought this from him after he upgraded to a buggy after his divorce.
Then that guy whose name is Steve decided he wanted out of the wheelin' business altogether. The wife just wasn't into it. So I had come to the decision that I needed a 4-seat vehicle because at the time I had the Foster boy and my son. So Steve decided he was going to take a bunch of the bits off of Krunch and give me the rest. this was kind of a good thing for me because it saved me probably a year of fabric and fiddle fucking around to build the chassis. Krunch already has a roll cage it's already setup for leaf springs and Toyota solid axles so a lot of the hard work was already done. Not to mention she's been boat sided and dovetailed front and rear. And she's basically flat belly.
So I had my red 88 truck that I had done a solid axle swap on with some fairly decent bits in the axles. But I couldn't have two-wheelers and I already had other plans for powering my next wheeler so my engine came out and got sold my axles got taken out from underneath it along with the drivetrain and then I sold the frame and body.

I made the got a smoking fucking deal because I needed it to go away.

Sat May 04, 2019 7:47 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Sat May 04, 2019 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eeeexcellent!!!

:thumbsup2:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat May 04, 2019 7:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So then enter Krunch:

Krunch has a full cage, was originally set up for propane that I was not going to use, already set up for Toyota rear up front springs, and a hybrid Mazda leaf out back which I'll be changing. Krunch has also got a body drop, the rockers have been replaced with 2 by 3 heavy wall steel the doors were cut in half and the bottom half boat sided into the chassis and the top half is on a half-assed quick release. After being built it was used hard which is what I plan on doing with it. However I am not going to be running a 22R turbo on propane.
I have been collecting parts for years to go a different route.

Lexus 1uzfe 4.0 V8 in front of a Toyota turbo truck trans (R151f) and dual 23 spline transfer cases.
250hp 250tq, trans had a lower first great than the usual Toyota w or g transmissions.

Sat May 04, 2019 7:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Makes my truck fix look like a fart in a windstorm! LOL :bigsmile:

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat May 04, 2019 8:06 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Selador wrote:
Makes my truck fix look like a fart in a windstorm! LOL :bigsmile:

BS! I'm following along and super interested. I love projects like these.

1. Restoring (at least to solid working condition) an older non-running vehicle.
2. Huge modifications to a vehicle that essentially changes what the original item was.

:inlove:

Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So there's a place that sells that custom bellhousing and a fairly decent sized flywheel and clutch assembly. the only downside to all this mess is there's not a whole lot of room underneath the truck for manual transmission stuff and exhaust to live in the same place. So part of the process of getting this thing to fit in here is to make different downpipes for the exhaust. I originally planned on using the stock catalytic converters but they're just too large to fit under the chassis.
like I said before Krunch was made as a flat belly with a very large piece of ar400 plate and the lowest point under the frame is about 1 in. so there's just not a whole lot of extra room between the bottom of the chassis on the floor.
So I just bought some pieces including some new cats and yes it will run cats

Started building down pipes.
I'll get pics later if cats mounted.

the stock mounts on either the frame or the engine aren't anywhere even remotely close to lining up.
Not a big deal as I've built custom mounts before.
The rear already had tube bushing mounts.
I don't have great pics of that

But I built some similar mounts for the engine

Sat May 04, 2019 8:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I knew fitting the radiator wasn't going to be really easy and I wanted to make sure I had enough radiator. So I got this "drag race" unit and a big spal fan.
And I let my inner redneck out a little bit and made a fan Mount out of diamond plate aluminum.

Yes that's part of an old tailgate cover.

now there just wasn't enough room to put that thing in there so I did something I didn't really want to do and cut her face off.

but that let me set the radiator in such a way that I could actually have fairly normal radiator hoses fitted. I also went ahead and got a radiator bung adapter for an electric fan controller too.

I kind of went round and round in my head about what I wanted to do for fuel but when I saw the sc400 stock tank I thought that it looked like it'd be awfully damn close to fitting in the space where the propane tanks used to live. Turns out I was not wrong
now this tank has the feeds come out of the bottom and the return comes out of the bottom and the vapor line comes out of the bottom and with the location of the propane tanks previously they're up there high and tight and pretty well protected so I figured this was as good a way as any to get the fuel out of the tank into the engine. Lexus used kind of a weird pressure fitting setup on this thing but it wasn't anything that I couldn't get around.

So I bought a metric flare to AN adapter, a bunch of an 6 hose fittings a fuel filter etc etc.
Ran the hose and stuff

Mounted the tank and filler

now Bodhi had already taken a lot of stuff out of the wire harness on this because he wasn't running factory EFI he was running propane what uses a lot less stuff.
so I had to dig into the harness it was there and start finding ways to power all this additional shit for the EFI on this V8. it's not actually all that big a deal the way this harnesses made lends itself really well to swapping into other chassis'.
But there was some definite WTF moments.
But after a few nights if it'll fucking around with wiring realizing to mistakes I made because I was tired and then correcting them....

https://i.imgur.com/qdU61vC.gifv

bear in mind this engine has been sitting for 10 or 12 years without running the gas tank set outside for the last five or six years.

Sat May 04, 2019 8:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh.... Here's krunch in her prime

Sat May 04, 2019 9:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn Rix, nice fabrication and great writeup! :thumbsup2:

All i DIY'd this week was some Flower boxes..... :facepalm2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 04, 2019 10:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix can definitely weld!

Sat May 04, 2019 1:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not the greatest welder but I'm definitely not the worst. I need to get me a good AC DC TIG machine.

Sat May 04, 2019 2:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P.s. pressure Hose is on

Thu May 09, 2019 5:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

curious about your skid plates. Seems like that would be a good place to accumulate mud, water and rust. Do you intend to drill drain holes into it?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu May 09, 2019 6:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
P.s. pressure Hose is on

That! Is awesome!

Do justice. Love mercy.

Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next