Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Need advice/help replacing seats on a GM truck 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Alright, I know there are entire online forums dedicated to older GM trucks, but there's just too much info to try to sort through and I'd just rather see if anyone here can help me.

So I have an '89 GMC 1500 pickup I bought from my wife's grandpa for cheap recently. First thing I want to do is replace the seats in it--the springs in the drivers seat are so shot that it slopes and the seatbacks are super thick. I'd like something more modern with better support and is an inch or two thinner in the back for that little extra leg/arm room.

I can find used seats on craigslist that I like from newer trucks. How hard would it be to swap? Would I likely need to have someone weld some sort of bracket to make them fit? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
I can find used seats on craigslist that I like from newer trucks. How hard would it be to swap? Would I likely need to have someone weld some sort of bracket to make them fit? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!

Pretty much answered your own question.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:02 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

If you’re not too worried about comfort for long rides the rear bench seat out of a 95-99 gmc crew cab pickup should bolt right up in the front. Doubt it’ll have adjustments like a front bench normally would though.

You’re probably best off finding a seat setup that you like then dropping them off at a fab shop to have seat brackets made. IMO one of the best truck seats for comfort and durability was the late 90’s early 2000’s Dodge bench seat with the huge fold down center console.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want an easy swap, stick with same make/year. Junkyard or some place like LMC truck parts

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
If you want an easy swap, stick with same make/year. Junkyard or some place like LMC truck parts

+1

The bench in my '87 F150 is still pretty good. I have it covered with a blanket to make it easier to wash, I'd blame that on the dog but I'm usually filthy too

I still see seats in better shape than mine in the junkyard though. If I wanted to get crafty I could replace the bench with individual seats from a bronco but I would have to add center mounts and would loose the middle seat. I'd still just replace it with another bench. Can't really recline in a standard cab

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the worst things about GM vehicles from the late 80s - mid 90s was cost cutting.

One of the coolest things about “modding” GM vehicles from the late 80s - mid 90s is how that cost cutting made so many things crossbred.

Most all of the GM vehicles from that era share a common seat bottom bolt pattern and *most* of the “cool” car seats will bolt up to the tracks and frames on the 88-98 1/2 ton pickups.

There’s info on the webs lemme go find what I’m thinking about and I’ll get back to you.

**edit**

54 pages more or less about what fits.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-98-bu ... tives.796/

There are a multitude of aftermarket seats out there from places like Dick’s or Jeg’s or Summit Racing and also BMW seats are a very popular mod in older rigs. For some applications there are bases and tracks made for them to be a direct bolt in. Hope this helps.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like Dan360 was a gold mine of information! :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Also looks like my superfluous response will have to wait 'til another day...

'Til we meet again, DGM... <insert diabolical laughter...>"

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]