Dewalt 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
Milwaukee 50%  50%  [ 17 ]
Other 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Cake 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34

Dewalt or Milwaukee? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are multiple stress tests on YouTube dewalt vs milwaukee, dewalt burns up motors quick everytime . I’ve gone through so many impacts and drills as a union carpenter, they fail all the time and the battery life is horrible . Since we switched to milwaukee don’t have any complaints and they get abused , Siam and wet outside dropped in the mud , dropped out of man lifts . Batteries last long time too !

1 Corinthians 16:13-14
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

2 Corinthians 4:16
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:50 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have two DeWalt 12V 1/2" hammer drill/skill saw combo sets I got for free from GMC for buying a new truck.
Don't use them much, ya the batteries are shitty and very expensive. Need a new set now. One factory battery pack started leaking.

Used Milwaukee corded hole hogs, drills, etc back when I did remodels and electrical.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t get hung up on names and colors. They will all do very well and are probably way more than you will ever use. I have the older C3 craftsman line. I use them way more than a normal homeowner and a little less than a contractor. They have served me well. The craftsman line at Lowe’s would be a better bet than the new line at sears as sears sold craftsman to Stanley. Someone has a new lifetime battery deal. Forgot who. My point is, expensive tools would be a waste of money for you. I also have the smaller 12 volt Milwaukee for the wife it has been bad ass and has tons of add ons and plenty of power. Just because you have extra money doesn’t mean you should waste it. I have heard zero complaints from folks that have the ryobi stuff.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've had Craftsman Nextec, Hitachi, Ryobi, and probably a couple others I'm missing. The small craftsman has lasted the longest (purchased first or second) and get into pretty much everywhere we need (and some larger drills can't). My overall pick of those would be Ryobi. we don't have the use to justify something like a dewalt or other high end, but the craftsman has been going very well for 10+ years. The Ryobi is newer, but seems to maintain a charge longer and has more power.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My crew at work hammers on Milwaukee cordless tools on the daily. They last forever in terrible work conditions. They are great.
Personally though, I prefer the ergonomics of the Dewalt tools. Both will last a very long time for the average user.

Divided we fall.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eh, whatever you can get at a garage sale. :thumbsup2: Instant savings. Disposable pricing.

I have Bostich, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Craftsman, and others. They all work fine until they die. The savings is in the low purchase price at garage sale, good will, etc. Generally 1/5th retail pricing.

Use it until it dies and get another.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:05 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I'm sorry, I'll be the Debbie Downer here and just say it: The dude living in his truck is looking for high-end tools. I love you, TW, but my advice is save the $, buy the Ryobi from Home Depot (I love their stuff for basic handyman stuff, but I don't rely on them for work). If you're using them for your livelihood, then ignore my advice. But if you just need occasional use tools, you'll get great bang for your buck and can use the extra $ for other life essentials. My $0.02, take it or leave it.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
I'm sorry, I'll be the Debbie Downer here and just say it: The dude living in his truck is looking for high-end tools. I love you, TW, but my advice is save the $, buy the Ryobi from Home Depot (I love their stuff for basic handyman stuff, but I don't really on them for work). If you're using them for your livelihood, then ignore my advice. But if you just need occasional use tools, you'll get great bang for your buck and can use the extra $ for other life essentials. My $0.02, take it or leave it.

If your'e using any of the tools mentioned in this thread, you're the reason people hate dentists! icon_eek

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nah, Jace is more of a drill and brace guy. (Here's a shot from his dentist office:)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ryobi mfers :)

Seriously though. If I still cared what strangers thought of me, or if I were a tradesman, I would buy Dewalt/Mil/Mak/etc.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had ryobi for a long time. No complaints,home use

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a bunch of Bosch 12v tools that work well

Of DeWalt or Milwaukee the Milwaukee is better but like Jacy said it's probably not that important. I'd wait to see what the Black Friday sales are and go with the best deal

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
I'm sorry, I'll be the Debbie Downer here and just say it: The dude living in his truck is looking for high-end tools. I love you, TW, but my advice is save the $, buy the Ryobi from Home Depot (I love their stuff for basic handyman stuff, but I don't really on them for work). If you're using them for your livelihood, then ignore my advice. But if you just need occasional use tools, you'll get great bang for your buck and can use the extra $ for other life essentials. My $0.02, take it or leave it.

/thread

Divided we fall.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a dewalt drill and impact. Mainly bought it because it was the only assembled in USA tools available. These are only for home use though. They don’t seem to be real heavy duty. I chose it over Milwaukee only because of the USA sticker. My father inlaw uses Milwaukee everyday. He beats his tools up and they seem to hold up well.

But for work, I use snap on. They always seem to work. Their impact guns are tanks also. Pretty much use them everyday for hours. All cordless by the way. Pretty much all the tools I use for work are snap on but we use makita drills and impacts also. I’ve burnt out two makita drills though. They don’t seem to handle larger drill bits well. Maybe it could of been operator error.

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
I'm sorry, I'll be the Debbie Downer here and just say it: The dude living in his truck is looking for high-end tools. I love you, TW, but my advice is save the $, buy the Ryobi from Home Depot (I love their stuff for basic handyman stuff, but I don't rely on them for work). If you're using them for your livelihood, then ignore my advice. But if you just need occasional use tools, you'll get great bang for your buck and can use the extra $ for other life essentials. My $0.02, take it or leave it.

Very good points. However, I do have a couple extra bucks, and if the difference between a $100 drill and a $150 drill (as an example) means I get 2x the use out of it, then that's better, IMO.

I fully intend on getting back into a 5 ton (I sold mine, in case you didn't hear), and having heavy duty tools is a must when working on them.

Too many times I've had to rely on help from others because I didn't have the right tools. I wanna be self reliant, and in this case, if I need, say, a sawzall, I can buy one instead of begging for help... The idea being I start with basic stuff like an impact driver and a drill, then if I need something else, I just buy the tool because I already have the batts. I won't have that flexibility with other platforms, since they don't offer high torque tools. AFAIK, Dewalt and Milwuakie are the only ones that offer 1" impacts with 1500ft lb rating...

The engine in my maintenance truck when TU, so I'm gonna have to replace that. I bought an M1009 so I'd have transportation but it's being sold as soon as I fix my maintenance truck... then the maintenance truck is getting sold when I get another 5T....

Right now, if I got one of those cheap drills, I wouldn't be able to start a diesel engine..... Which is another thing.... if my starter shits the bed, those drills could start an engine.. hehehe. Realistically though, right now I could use it, as I need to check to see if I threw a rod or if my starter just toasted itself (hydrolocked due to head gasket failure).

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next