Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:57 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 iPhone 7 battery replacement 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anybody here try to DIY replace an iPhone battery? Is it worth the effort, or should I just ship it to Apple for a new battery?

Mon May 18, 2020 11:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have done screens and other small parts(home button speaker). You can find kits on eBay and Amazon, relatively inexpensive. It’s fairly easy if you go slow and gentle with the cables/connectors. I got sick of doing screens and just bought the iPhone se from apple.

I don’t know how much the battery’s cost, but If your current 7 is functional and good for trade do the math on a new SE vs gimping along a dated phone.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Mon May 18, 2020 11:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the chart from Apple:

Quote:
iPhone battery replacement pricing - United States
iPhone model
iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus,

Out of warranty $ 49
These prices apply only to battery repairs made by Apple. Pricing offered by Apple Authorized Service Providers may vary. We'll add a $ 6.95 shipping fee if your repair requires shipping and isn't covered under warranty or AppleCare+. All fees are in USD and exclude local tax.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Mon May 18, 2020 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've done battery / screen / charge port replacements on a number of phones / tablets. Some are 15 minute, easy jobs, some are 2 hour nail biter jobs (Nexus 6p). I decided after the Nexus that the next phones we got would have replaceable batteries. The most current smart phone available is the LG V20, and I can change a battery in less than 5 minutes, it takes longer to get the protective case off than it does to do the battery swap. Unfortunately nobody is making a newer phone with swappable batteries any longer. And they're harder & harder to get into, even with a fairly extensive kit of spudgers, wedges, picks, cards, heat guns, guitar picks, etc. accumulated over the years.

That said, if you can get your battery swapped for $50 from Apple, that's a no brainer, do it. It's going to cost at least half that just for the battery, and the newer the phone, the harder it's going to be to open it up, make the swap, and get back out without damaging something else in the process.

Mon May 18, 2020 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've replaced screens and batteries on 2 7+'s
it's not hard, there are a bunch of tutorials on youtube, and the battery kit came with tools and a new seal
i bought the higher capacity batteries too, about 30% more than stock one

Mon May 18, 2020 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]