Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:55 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Switch, Hub, or Router? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to split the internet after the cable modem and am not really sure what I need

What I have now is a router, but it’s 10/100 and everything else in the network is capable of 1000

I did search but I still am not understanding the difference between a switch, hub, and router. I know there are tech people here. Please dumb it down and spoon feed me. I’ve read so many pages that seem to contradict each other

I don’t really care if things talk to each other. They just need to share the internet right now. I have two wireless routers for WiFi, one in the house and another in the shop, but they are wired back to the same panel in the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It sounds like a Switch is what you need, which will have a chip that will direct the packets (data) to their proper locations. A hub will work but doesn’t have the chip which makes it less efficient. I can’t see a reason for needing a router for this setup as you already have one which this is the device that hands out the ip addresses to your devices. Most routers have a built in switch, have you checked to see if there are additional ports on your router?

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your network is going to go as fast as the slowest component. If you’re plugging in a gigabit switch to a 10/100 router, everything that has to hit the router will slow to 10/100.

If upgrade the router to one with a gigabit switch on it. And if you’re looking for really broad wireless coverage, I’d upgrade to a mesh network like an Orbi.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with edogg, but a mesh will be dependent on how far away your shop is. If it’s too far it may have trouble connecting to each other. Also if upgrading to a gigabit router is a possibility you’ll need to make sure your Ethernet cabling in your panel and through the house is at least cat 5e.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yer flux capacitor needs to be bridged to the delirium crystals with 6011 rod.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:00 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

If your router is 10/100, the first thing you need to do is ditch that. Get a gigabit router and a gigabit switch (if your router doesn't have enough ports in the back to handle your needs).

Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here’s the SMC. I used to be able to fit the modem in there but the new modem is bigger. The cable comes in to the splitter then out to an outlet at the back of the living room where the modem is. Then one of the network wires brings it back to the router which splits it to go to the various places. That router is the only 10/100 part of the network and what I need to replace

All the network wire is 5E. The longest run is about 130’ out to the shop. That’s the grey wire going out the bottom of the SMC

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a diagram of the network

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:26 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any reason you can't use the ISP's modem as the router? Then just put a switch in the cabinet?

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the modem:
https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/ConsumerProductDetail?p=a0ha000000GOZ3oAAH&c=Touchstone%20Modems#panel3

This is what the manual says about splitting it:
Quote:
Ethernet Connection
Ethernet is a standard method of connecting two or more devices into a Local Area Network (LAN).

Note: To connect two or more computers to the Ethernet port, you will need a hub or broadband router (available at computer retailers).

The Cable Modem package comes with a 6-foot (1.9m) Ethernet cable (the connectors look like wide telephone connectors); you can purchase more cables if necessary at a computer retailer. If you are connecting the Cable Modem directly to a computer, or to an Ethernet hub or broadband router with a cross-over switch, ask for Category 5e (CAT5e) straight-through cable. CAT5e cable is required for gigabit Ethernet (Gig-E), not regular CAT5 cable

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:44 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Got it, so it has a single Ethernet cable out the back, i.e. not it's own router.

You can get a small UI Edge Router and then use a small switch in the cabinet too. UI make a small switch that can be powered off of the POE port on the Edge Router.

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why do I need a router and a switch?

Wouldn't I just put the router in the same spot as the one I have now?

Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:59 am

Based on the diagram you have posted there you don't need a switch. If you ever need to upgrade though it's nice to know it's available. I have one of the switches that Massivedesign linked to, and it works great but there are no mounting points in the switch to mount it to the wall. It's not a big deal but something that I found personally annoying.

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:12 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Brujah wrote:
Based on the diagram you have posted there you don't need a switch. If you ever need to upgrade though it's nice to know it's available. I have one of the switches that Massivedesign linked to, and it works great but there are no mounting points in the switch to mount it to the wall. It's not a big deal but something that I found personally annoying.

I got in on the EA of the Mini's and they came with a wall cradle. The public release ones don't. Shame I agree.

Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brujah wrote:

Concur, and if the Wifi router you show in the diagram is the same one you actually have (guessing a Linksys 1900 ACS), you don't need a switch either, you've already got 4 LAN ports on the back of the router (5 counting the one for the modem).

Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next