Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Kirkland Motor Oil??? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WUAD wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
I just wish they made 10W-40

Seems like it's getting harder and harder to find

Sheesh...what would you want that sludge for? My wifes car runs 0W-20. The only car I have that might not choke on 10W-40 is the 64 1/2 Mustang. :bigsmile:
0W-20 would shoot past the rings in my 30+ year old truck so fast...

It’s more of a colander than a mixing bowl at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
WUAD wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

Sheesh...what would you want that sludge for? My wifes car runs 0W-20. The only car I have that might not choke on 10W-40 is the 64 1/2 Mustang. :bigsmile:
0W-20 would shoot past the rings in my 30+ year old truck so fast...

It’s more of a colander than a mixing bowl at this point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but look at the bright side. You'll never need to do an actual oil change, you just keep adding fresh oil every 200 miles.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:

I have the same issue with GL-4 or Brass Safe GL-5 gear oil every 4 years, always end up ordering redline online because they never stock enough Royal Purple (and its damn expensive). Some things are hard to find.

JohnMBrowning, quick question what vehicle are you going to put it in, Acura I think? I am pretty sure there is no issue if you are using Mobil 1 right now.

The reason I ask is some engines are just particular. Our Audi is a 3.0 diesel and it requires low ash producing oil otherwise you clog the DPF way too quickly. Diesel-gate really made this oil spec hard to find. The oil + filter costs $80 alone, but I don't even have to crawl under the car to do the change so I am not paying the German shops $150+ to do it.
Most American and Asian gas cars only have the SAE reqs besides dexos oil for GM so you are most likely g2g.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of you guys need to get ahold of your Waguns Amsoil guy.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Some of you guys need to get ahold of your Waguns Amsoil guy.

Shameless plug lol. :thumbsup2:

Divided we fall.

Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:37 am

Actually, this oil is for the 4Runner, not the Acura.... Sadly, I have not changed the oil in the Acura myself -- yet.... Acura has been pretty good at sending me coupons for $29 oil changes at the dealer --- not worth my time at that point.... and I get it vacuumed and washed to boot. Waiting for the next coupon impatiently....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For 30 I would take mine in every time. I haven't found a good voltec technician (Chevy Volt), the Audi never gets a deal and the Jeep I enjoy working on. I see no issue the oil in the Toyota, but someone may know more details I am missing.

IS our Amsoil guy Pablo or ohShoot? I know they have a good approved VW 507.00 oil, but its really expensive for an already tight standard.

Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chuckisduck wrote:
For 30 I would take mine in every time. I haven't found a good voltec technician (Chevy Volt), the Audi never gets a deal and the Jeep I enjoy working on. I see no issue the oil in the Toyota, but someone may know more details I am missing.

IS our Amsoil guy Pablo or ohShoot? I know they have a good approved VW 507.00 oil, but its really expensive for an already tight standard.

That would be me sir.

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
chuckisduck wrote:

That would be me sir.

Sir, will have to inquire next oil change near the end of the year (we don't use the diesel enough).

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chuckisduck wrote:
Pablo wrote:
chuckisduck wrote:

That would be me sir.

Sir, will have to inquire next oil change near the end of the year (we don't use the diesel enough).

What viscosity do you run? What year/engine?

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5W-30 on a 2015 Q7 3.0 TDI. AEL1G-EA is what I think i would use as it is certified to VAG/VW 507.00

Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:21 am

I load up on these. They are excellent. I've used them and watched several videos of these tested. They are essentially as good as the leading motor oils, and made in Warren at the oil supplier that supplies many companies.

2-packs of 5 qt bottles, or 4 packs of 5 qt bottles. Down to well under $3 qt with free shipping. With a typical $10 filter you can get a typical oil change down to $25. (My oil filters are $10 Mobile 1 or I use $4 Motorcraft OEM, so on my Fords my oil changes are only ~15 bucks or so with full synthetic, and my others are about 20 - 25 bucks).

Stock up folks. I probably have 150 qts of oil and scores of filters in my garage to keep my fleet of cars operation for years of oil changes.

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chuckisduck wrote:
5W-30 on a 2015 Q7 3.0 TDI. AEL1G-EA is what I think i would use as it is certified to VAG/VW 507.00

Do you have some kind of extended engine warranty? Nothing wrong with AEL, but I would seriously consider running a new generation diesel oil in 0W-40, such as DZF, Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 0W-40

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
chuckisduck wrote:

Do you have some kind of extended engine warranty? Nothing wrong with AEL, but I would seriously consider running a new generation diesel oil in 0W-40, such as DZF, Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 0W-40

We have 3 years left on the Dieselgate "fix" warranty, and heard horror stories of Audi finding any excuse to get out of warranties. (such as exploding HP diesel pumps) giving them less reasons until then.

Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2