Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 WeenieWagun redux? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Honest question...what do you want this for?

I'll probably be putting an M109 box on it.. to live in...

off road, can use just about anything as fuel...

I have a reliable vehicle, and it's going to be sold... where I can put the money into this to make it just as reliable.

The vehicle I'm gonna sell will give me more than enough money to make this one a good daily driver.

I feel like we have different ideas of the term “daily driver” :bigsmile:

The reason the 5 ton didn't work out, primarily, is 5MPG. I had a place to park at night but the agreement was I move during the day, and the closest place I could park during the day was a couple miles away... I was burning about $100/month, just moving daily. That doesn't include going to the store to get food, going to the gym, etc.

This should get close to 10, if not more, depending on a few things, and can burn waste motor oil, gas, kerosene, diesel, JP4, JP8, and even Jet-A as long as there's enough oil for lubrication. So, eventually, I wanna get a filtration system set up on the truck, and a pump, so I can put up an ad or wait for people themselves to put up an ad saying they wanna get rid of oil.

I've actually collected oil from a couple members here before, for my CUCV...

Over the past 2 years, I've helped a friend get 6 - 55 gallon drums full of waste motor oil/ATF.... All virtually free fuel for the deuce (The only costs being for the filtration system, and consumables, like filters). The 5 ton was just a standard NHC250 which didn't like more than a 50% mix of Waste Motor Oil (WMO).

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, there were unforeseen complications and consequences with a live-in rig like this before.

Perhaps there are unforeseen complications and consequences with this as a live-in as well, and why more people don’t do this.

Just a thought.

Good luck with your project.

Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
So, there were unforeseen complications and consequences with a live-in rig like this before.

Perhaps there are unforeseen complications and consequences with this as a live-in as well, and why more people don’t do this.

Just a thought.

Good luck with your project.

I'm sure there will be.

I could go the safe route and keep the M1010 (that's actually my mom's), and that gets 13ish MPG, and fits in a normal parking spot no issue. But that's not really big enough for a shower/toilet, and still have a reasonable living space, not to mention the off road capabilities are OK but not that great.

I could go with a newer Uhaul, or even an actual RV....that's newer, with parts available at every store, but then have ZERO offroad capability, essentially stuck to surface streets.

If shit goes south, I wanna be able to make my own roads.... go down forest service roads without issue, etc. The deuce allows that, with minimal effort. Even some dedicated off road vehicles have issues with that.

I'm 100% sure there's gonna be shit that goes wrong, but if I have the living quarters set to be self-sustaining, staying somewhere a week or two wouldn't be an issue.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:44 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Can you burn synthetic? I usually take all my waste oil to the recycling center but if it’s worth it to you I could just save it and make an annual trip down to you. Not much really. Maybe 20 gallons annually mobil 1 synthetic between my 4 vehicles but if it would help I’ll keep it on hand.

Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have at least 12-15 gallons of waste oil on hand (conventional) you can have anytime you want it TW.
That's a cool rig that can burn most anything as fuel. Is it practical for most? No.
Do i want one for some reason? Yes.
Talk about a shit hit's the fan and i need to get somewhere rig, not much would stop that thing.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
Can you burn synthetic? I usually take all my waste oil to the recycling center but if it’s worth it to you I could just save it and make an annual trip down to you. Not much really. Maybe 20 gallons annually mobil 1 synthetic between my 4 vehicles but if it would help I’ll keep it on hand.

Mobil 1 is group 3 base stock now, not group 5, and should burn great.

If you wanna hold onto it, that would be appreciated. By the time you have some saved up, I should have some filtering capability, and be ready to accept it.. :D

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
I have at least 12-15 gallons of waste oil on hand (conventional) you can have anytime you want it TW.
That's a cool rig that can burn most anything as fuel. Is it practical for most? No.
Do i want one for some reason? Yes.
Talk about a shit hit's the fan and i need to get somewhere rig, not much would stop that thing.

They are definitely not a 'get in and drive' kind of vehicle.

They're maintenance intensive, and you gotta warm them up, and let them idle before you shut them down (cool the turbo)..

BUT, the good news is, everything is stupid simple.

The wiring diagram for the entire truck fits on a single page.

You can change oil, trans fluid, diff. fluid, etc without jacking it up... There's enough room to crawl underneath.

The trans, transfer case, and differentials, all use 80w90....

Brake fluid is DOT5, which doesn't absorb moisture, so its life is REALLY long...

Oil is 15W40....

Nothing too insane...

They have their quirks..

It's actually a M185A3, which is a deuce with a Tool shop, almost identical to an M109A3, which is the van body but used for a different purpose. They removed the van body at some point and put a drop side bed on it, because that's what was needed at the time...

If I go back to the van body, it'll look like this...

Attachment:
TBA.jpg

They're designed to be modular, so the bodies, beds, etc all use the same mounting points and bolts.. Removing/replacing is as simple as hooking the bed/box to a crane, unbolting it, lifting it off, placing the other one on, and bolting it down....

They also have an S280 shelter, which has no windows, and sacrifices interior space for insulation. They have a ridiculous amount of insulation, and a 5k BTU A/C will keep them cold in the dead of summer, and a tiny space heater will keep it warm down to 0*... The original HVAC for the shelter would burn you out/freeze you out, because it was designed for the most extreme of conditions, ie arctic or desert.

The S280 is basically an EMP proof communications box...... and it has an appeal, for sure... But there are sacrifices to be made, in terms of space.

Attachment:
5.jpg

Attachment:
LAADS_Housed_in_S-280_Shelter_on_Truck_20120211.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2