Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:17 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WeenieWagun redux? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spent about 4 hours doing a pre-trip inspection.... Probably should have taken 45 mins but... I'm a little slower these days. Ironically enough, laying under the truck checking the diffs was the easy part. heh.

Used about a gallon of DOT5 flushing the brakes. They're pretty good, but not perfect. I'm guessing master isn't that great, so a dual circuit one is in the works.

I added about 2.5-3 quarts of 80/90, between the 3 axles, trans, and transfer case.. So, while they were low, they weren't THAT low. The rear diff was the worst, about a quart low. The oil in everything but the transfer case looked pretty good. Transfer case oil looked like it needed replacing sooner rather than later, but not horribly so.

Fuel filter housing is leaking about 1 drop every 2 seconds, which will be fixed by spin on fuel filter kit. Minor leak at the oil filter housing gasket, also easily fixed by a spin on kit. Hubs were actually almost cold, after a 60 min trip, and no excess heat anywhere in the driveline. Shifts good. Clutch is good.

Radiator cap is leaking when it gets up to temp. I'm guessing the gasket/seal on the cap is toast.

Big issue is the air assist steering. It assists to the right, great... But if you try to steer to the left, it's like you're FIGHTING against the assist. It was a recent addition by the previous owner, and I'm guessing he either didn't install it properly, or there's issues with the valve body.

Engine has an 86 contract date, but the truck is a 68, so the engine is newer, at least.

Made a 100+ mile trip with zero issues.

It's not mine, yet... I made a deal with a friend that he'd loan me the money to get it, but he'd keep the title until I pay him back, so I need to sell my other projects to fund this one...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And was does something like this set you back?

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

farfrompar28 wrote:
And was does something like this set you back?

3 grand, in this case.

The reason I had to ask for a loan from a friend is the price is almost half of what it should be... These have been going for 5-6k in pretty meh condition. The few relatively minor issues with this one, that are known issues to the platform, that were already planned upgrades to fix them, means they're pretty much non-issues. IOTW, I was gonna go with spin on oil and fuel filters ANYWAY, even if it wasn't leaking, and that was figured into the cost.

It's got a multifuel engine, 5 speed stick, 2 range transfer case, air lock front axle.. If you're not familiar with the deuce and a half...

It also looks like it had a fording kit, that someone disabled. The lines are going to the axles, but they're not connected to anything, and the rest of the switches and hardware are missing, but there's a hole in the dash where the switch should be.. So, it shouldn't be that hard to replace the parts and get it operational, if need be.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I drove one of these for many many miles on a couple convoys overseas. I hates every minute of it, and am perfectly fine never being in one ever again [emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sweet ride, turbo or non? cool unstoppable beasties in 6x6

Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sold mine last year for $4500. Clean title, with a hardtop. The guy drove it home.

There is going to be a bunch of them for sale soon for CHEAP.

Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chevytruckman wrote:
I drove one of these for many many miles on a couple convoys overseas. I hates every minute of it, and am perfectly fine never being in one ever again [emoji102]

Yep. Me too, slow, gutless pig. Eventually you get tired of the "cool at first whistler turbo" as you slowly go deaf.
They do ride pretty decent though.
They make a good site truck for moving brush and stumps.
This one ya got looks to be in decent condition though.

Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

toys in the toybox wrote:
sweet ride, turbo or non? cool unstoppable beasties in 6x6

D turbo.

C is the 'whistler' that you can hear from a mile away.

The D turbo has a couple extra HP, and is a lot quieter....

Most people like the C for the unmistakable sound, but I'm not a fan of it...

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
I sold mine last year for $4500. Clean title, with a hardtop. The guy drove it home.

Not bad for a running/driving truck.

Quote:

Why is that?

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Quote:

Why is that?

Because the economy is about to go in the shitter and all the goobers that have had easy disposable income for the last few years are going to panic once they cant pay the mortgage and payment on their $90,000 new pickup truck and they are all going to selling shit like that deuce they bought to make a "bobbed deuce, super camping monster truck". Plus they all bought a matching trailer and set of michelins and SS bead locks to, so expect to see lots of those for sale to.

TechnoWeenie wrote:

So is it 140hp instead of 130hp??

Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Quote:

Why is that?

Because the economy is about to go in the shitter and all the goobers that have had easy disposable income for the last few years are going to panic once they cant pay the mortgage and payment on their $90,000 new pickup truck and they are all going to selling shit like that deuce they bought to make a "bobbed deuce, super camping monster truck". Plus they all bought a matching trailer and set of michelins and SS bead locks to, so expect to see lots of those for sale to.

TechnoWeenie wrote:

So is it 140hp instead of 130hp??

LOL. I think it's 135... :ROFLMAO:

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honest question...what do you want this for?

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wondering myself. How many of these and other mil surp vehicles does a guy need? Seems like actual reliable transportation would be much more pragmatic.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:

I'll probably be putting an M109 box on it.. to live in...

off road, can use just about anything as fuel...

I have a reliable vehicle, and it's going to be sold... where I can put the money into this to make it just as reliable.

The vehicle I'm gonna sell will give me more than enough money to make this one a good daily driver.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

TechnoWeenie wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

I'll probably be putting an M109 box on it.. to live in...

off road, can use just about anything as fuel...

I have a reliable vehicle, and it's going to be sold... where I can put the money into this to make it just as reliable.

The vehicle I'm gonna sell will give me more than enough money to make this one a good daily driver.

I feel like we have different ideas of the term “daily driver” :bigsmile:

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next