Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:30 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Help me get my Bronco started. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Guys,
I've had this 1988 Bronco for 15 years, having gotten it from a buddy of mine that was having issues. I doubt I've put 1000 miles on it. Before he sold it to me, he had done tons and tons of work, including having the whole drivetrain, including the axles, rebuilt. All of that stuff has less than 10K miles on it.

But, I haven't driven it now in 7 years. I had it parked in a carport, and during that time, my dirtbag brother started to 'part' it out for shit he needed for his truck. Little stuff, mostly, but he did pull the distributor out.

I think I've gone thru and replaced everything he stole, and dropped a new distributor in. I did change the fuel filter, and while I had that out, I jumpered the fuel pump and drained all the old gas out and put five gallons of fresh in.

But, I'm at the point that I'm getting crank, but no fire. I'm not even getting a cough.

I have pressure at the fuel rail, and the plugs get wet.
I have spark to the spark plugs.
There is plenty of compression.

I'm guessing now that I'm more than just one tooth off on distributor. I think I got it right, but I'm failing to see why I can't get this thing to fire. I would think that even if I was off, I'd at least get a cough, but I'm getting nothing.

I also am getting myself confused (grasping at straws) on firing order (5.8L), but the firing order my dumbass brother left on the distributor cap matches at least one of the firing orders I've seen online. But, I've seen another that might possibly the right order. I've not tried that one yet.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Sat May 29, 2021 9:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Start over with the distributor making sure it was dropped in at the proper position. Then make sure of the firing order with the wires.
If it has spark, fuel and air at that point, it will run.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 29, 2021 9:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats the diagram I used, including firing order. And, I've re-dropped it a few times, just because I'm second guessing myself.

I just don't get how I'm not even getting a cough. I've been 180 degrees out before and gotten a cough. Finding one cyclinder out of eight to hit spark and fuel at the same time isn't normally too tough.

Sat May 29, 2021 9:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know these engines well and live close by. I can come by Tuesday or Wednesday and see if we can get her going.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat May 29, 2021 10:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
I know these engines well and live close by. I can come by Tuesday or Wednesday and see if we can get her going.

Where IS that freaking LIKE button? :thumbsup2:

Having a second set of eyes and hands, makes a world of difference. Even if that extra set knows nothing specific, just has a general understanding.

Seriously, I don't know how many times I have had a friend over, and said friend was asking some of the stupidest questions. But something they said, jogged a brain cell or 7 in my head, and helped me to figure it out.

So much the better when it is someone who actually knows what they are doing...

Thank you Matt, for that offer of help. :bigsmile: This is one of the things that makes this forum great!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat May 29, 2021 10:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you try to 180 the distributor?
Or are you 100% sure you are on TDC for #1

Sat May 29, 2021 1:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep
Start with Tdc
Pull pass side first plug and confirm compression stroke and watch balancer , I set it to 10 btc
Drop in dizzy so rotor ends up at #1 spot on the cap (mark with pen or such)

Hear fuel pump come on?
Positive it’s a 351? As 302’s in that era had a different firing order
How are u checking spark?
Does the tach move when cranking?Id think it would if the distributor pickup is working correctly

Sun May 30, 2021 3:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ally of guys here sure know their way around an engine!

Sun May 30, 2021 7:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im pretty sure I was on TDC when I dropped the distributor is, but I'm going to go thru that proceedure again just to make sure. In fact, before I take it out, I'll find TDC again, and then pull the cap to see where the rotor is pointed before pulling the distributor, just to make sure.

Also, I'm assuming it's a 351 and not a 302. It came equipped from teh factory with the 351, the intake says 5.8L, all the badging says it as well, and the distributor boss sits about an inch lower than the deck, not flush. I'd bet that it's got punched to 355 or something during rebuild, but I seriously doubt it's a 302.

I'm checking spark by putting a test bulb between the spark plug wire and the spark plug. I do have a gap tester I could use, but seems unnecessary if I'm lighting a bulb right next to the plug.
The tach is acting crazy when I crank it. It even did a full circle.

I'm hoping my issue might be that I need to work thru shit gas that is left over in the fuel rails.

I have not purposefully set the distributor to 180 out.

Mon May 31, 2021 8:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might try installing a new distributor, and if that doesn’t help, return it.

Mon May 31, 2021 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To make sure you’re on the compression stroke, most of the time, you have to pull the valve cover, or the timing cover,to confirm both valves are closed, or the timing marks are aligned. Valve covers are easier.
Check the set up you have, if it doesn’t work, reset the distributor 180 degrees.
You never know....

Edit : do you have a timing light? Voltage tester?

Edit 2: Starting, It’s a two person operation, someone needs to move the distributor while trying to crank, if you’re only a tooth off , you’ll at least get a sputter, if not flip it and try again.
Just make sure to stay away from high voltage wires!
Good luck

Mon May 31, 2021 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Model T tip I learned was to tape a piece of toilet paper or Kleenex over the #1 spark plug hole. If you are on the compression stroke you will see the tissue flutter outwards

Mon May 31, 2021 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no doubt when this thing is on a suck stroke or a blow stroke. I don't think this is the issue. And, this distributor is brand new.

I do have a timing light and voltage tester. Those don't do me much good before I get it fired up.

Mon May 31, 2021 12:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you sure you actually have a Spark at the Plug? You pulled one and grounded it to look?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon May 31, 2021 2:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm trying to email you a manual. Maybe it's too big of a PDF

Here's the 'cheat sheet' I wrote up to make it easier to go through the ignition system step by step:

Quote:
Ignition Coil Secondary Voltage
Check for spark with a spark tester

Ignition Coil Primary Circuit Switching
Connect grounded 12v test lamp to coil negative and crank engine
If test lamp flashes proceed to next test
If test lamp lights but does not flash process to Wiring Harness test
If the lamp does not light at all, proceed to the Primary Circuit Continuity test

Ignition Coil Resistance
Primary resistance (measured between low voltage terminals, disconnect plug) 0.3 - 1.0 ohms
Secondary resistance (negative primary terminal and secondary terminal) 8,000 – 11,500 ohms

Wiring Harness
Disconnect TFI module connector
Attach negative lead of a volt meter to the base of the distributor
Switch ignition to RUN
Pin #1 and 2 should be 90% of battery voltage
Pin #3 should be 90% of battery voltage with the ignition switch in the START position
If voltages are ok proceed to the Stator Assembly and Module test

Stator Assembly and Module
Remove distributor from engine
Remove TFI module from distributor
Measure the resistance of the stator assembly
If 800-975 ohms the stator is ok but the TFI module must be replaced
If out of range the TFI module is ok but the stator module must be replaced

Primary Circuit Continuity
Same as wiring harness test. Switch ignition switch to RUN. #1 terminal on TFI connector should be 90% of battery voltage. If not proceed to Ignition Coil Primary Voltage test

Ignition Coil Primary Voltage
Turn the ignition switch ON and measure voltage between distributor base and negative coil terminal. It should be 90% of battery voltage. If not inspect the wiring between the ignition module and the negative coil terminal and proceed to the Ignition Coil Supply Voltage test

Ignition Coil Supply Voltage
Turn the ignition switch on and measure the voltage between the positive ignition coil terminal and the distributor base. If the voltage is at least 90% of battery voltage, yet the engine still will not run;
Check the ignition coil connector and terminals
Replace the ignition switch if the connector and terminals are ok

The test light is one of these from harbor freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-tester-set-3-pc-63612.html

The timing light will still flash even if the engine isn't running. That's a good way to tell if you have spark and also will tell you if you're close to correct timing or 180 out

Mon May 31, 2021 3:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next