Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Bought a trailer but needs a tiny bit of work 

We bought a trailer for our family to live in and it's a great looking trailer, no damages or super issues around except for one thing. There's a piece of the molding that covers paneling connections where I believe 2 pieces line up together that has fallen and one part of this broke off right above the main bed, this was put back by the previous owner with duct tape and likely just falling off with the heat wave we had recently last week. Not a big issue as a whole as I plan to clean it up and reapply with an adhesive. What adhesive might I be recommended to use first? Also for reference to the piece that fell off, it broke part of the "wall paper" of the trailer. Does anyone think calling the maker of the trailer would have swatches of this to repair and cove the "crack" that will eventually bother the **** out of my lady....?

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you still have the broken off piece, you could use some 3M double sided tape. Get the permanent mounting tape, it has a red peel off backing. It has a very tenacious bond and is unlikely to fail. If you're careful when you line it up, the repair will almost be invisible.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If he lives in a trailer for any length of time with the family, it's not going to be the repair that bothers the **** out of the Lady. :ROFLMAO:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hot glue gun
Silicone adhesive
Dicor butyl seal tape
3M double sided tape, as delliottg suggested

All that will be your friend with RV trim.

I lived in RVs for a number of years and preferred the hot glue gun method, or the Dicor, or using Liquid Nails, DAP of various descriptions, or the 3M Super Strength moulding tape and Weatherstrip adhesives.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
If he lives in a trailer for any length of time with the family, it's not going to be the repair that bothers the **** out of the Lady. :ROFLMAO:

I have a linehand buddy with expensive artwork hanging on the walls of his 5th wheel. His ol lady is home sweet home in that thing. Costs as much as a house!

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:32 pm

usrifle wrote:

I thought about that too LOL! I better get some more jacks and chocks like I told her we should get at Camping World yesterday...wouldn't hurt to get a couple more!!!

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deafPapa1985 wrote:
usrifle wrote:

I thought about that too LOL! I better get some more jacks and chocks like I told her we should get at Camping World yesterday...wouldn't hurt to get a couple more!!!

When Mama starts getting that look in her eye, make sure you have a nice Tent outside for you and the kid's. A day or two outside and you should be ok to come back.
Well, the kid's anyway. :wink05:

I'm just playing, how big is the Trailer? That makes a difference.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:57 pm

delliottg wrote:
If you still have the broken off piece, you could use some 3M double sided tape. Get the permanent mounting tape, it has a red peel off backing. It has a very tenacious bond and is unlikely to fail. If you're careful when you line it up, the repair will almost be invisible.
yes the broken part is still there, just hanging from the tape. The rest of the trailer is practically immaculate. Unfortunately I don't have pictures at the moment since the trailer is in Gig Harbor at a storage so can't exactly give you the exhibit. Trim does look like some darker wood but again I was more focused on other parts of the trailer that were more functional rather than cosmetic. Thank you I will go look for this next. The strip is in somewhere between 3 and 4 feet long.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:02 pm

usrifle wrote:
deafPapa1985 wrote:
usrifle wrote:

When Mama starts getting that look in her eye, make sure you have a nice Tent outside for you and the kid's. A day or two outside and you should be ok to come back.
Well, the kid's anyway. :wink05:

I'm just playing, how big is the Trailer? That makes a difference.

Its 34 feet from the inner most parts of the front and back. The kicker that really had us sold on this? 2 bathrooms 1 fore and 1 aft. "Yes sir that is an RV". Really spacious and we logged some serious mileage even going to Everett(we live in Buckley) and back only to have some couple that had a great trailer but no title to their trailer, just an affidavit. Anyways that's behind us.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a really nice Trailer. I'm assuming a 5th wheel? Cool thing is you can up and move the house anytime you want.
That's pretty cool.
I see some great adventures for your family soon. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:14 pm

usrifle wrote:
Sounds like a really nice Trailer. I'm assuming a 5th wheel? Cool thing is you can up and move the house anytime you want.
That's pretty cool.
I see some great adventures for your family soon. :thumbsup2:

Actually it's not a 5th wheel but we're planning on living on a piece of property that has a house on it. Not livable though. We went through some people and now it's kind of a put a lot of money into a project either way so we'll be starting demo on this one, tear it down, anything salvageable will go to building pens and other outbuildings for our animals. Construct a new house when that's all said and done. Thanks much and thanking the rest of you all for your advice. I'll leave this one open in case I run into something else.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We lived in a 25 foot travel trailer for 16 months while we built a house down in Olympia. No kids, got old fast. Few tips, if it is going to be stationary, put some skirting around the bottom. Much less temp fluctuation, and heater will run less. Try And find a decent electric heater, or upgrade your roof ac to a heat pump. Less noise and less money. Propane will get expensive fast. People breath out a lot of moisture, rvs don't breath. Get a dehumidifier to prevent mold and respiratory issues. Oh and keep plenty of alcohol present, it makes life in an rv more tolerable.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:05 am

mcyclonegt wrote:
We lived in a 25 foot travel trailer for 16 months while we built a house down in Olympia. No kids, got old fast. Few tips, if it is going to be stationary, put some skirting around the bottom. Much less temp fluctuation, and heater will run less. Try And find a decent electric heater, or upgrade your roof ac to a heat pump. Less noise and less money. Propane will get expensive fast. People breath out a lot of moisture, rvs don't breath. Get a dehumidifier to prevent mold and respiratory issues. Oh and keep plenty of alcohol present, it makes life in an rv more tolerable.
Thank you, I had feelings that the propane was going to be likely an issue for heating so I do plan to use a dehumidifier, already doing so in the duplex we live in that hardly has ANY Circulation unless you run a fan in the windows because half the fucking windows don't work around here. My dismay for this current living situation is why I'm looking forward to living in a trailer. It's not even as spacious as the duplex but I have far more hopes having more enjoyment being in the open rather than a rental that I have no interest or intention of improving. That's the landlords job. At least at 34 feet of trailer, a couple of my favorite pew pews to get the lead out if it were, booze (after the bang therapy of course!!!)and my ladys' delicious baked cinnamon rolls and other goods, we'll be good. Can you give a recommendation for skirting? Luckily have lots of facia board and others worth trying out for temporary coverage. We do live in somewhat of a wind tunnel.

Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just used some old OSB since it was temporary. Just something to stop the wind from sucking the heat out of the floor. I also plumed hot water from the house into the trailer, that was real nice.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Last edited by mcyclonegt on Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:14 am

mcyclonegt wrote:
I just used some old OSB since it was temporary. Just something to stop the wind from sucking the heat out of the floor. I also plumed hot water from the house into the trailer, that was real. Ice.

Fortunately there's no storage on the outside except for the front end. With one slide-out, I've got enough wood to make some panels and we'll build a patio with some board. I collect a lot of pallets with wide slats so this is going to get creative.

Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]