Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Diff Locks 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Our buggy has a Detroit locker in the rear. And a high pinion E-locker in the front. I’ve towed it all over the west coast with a dodge flatbed that has a Posi. Never an issue getting to the wheeling spots. Even in the snow, sand, mud, gravel. Even back in the reiter pit days, I towed it thru the creek on many occasions. (For any who remembers the “old” reiter.

I regularly tow equipment and log/lumber upto 14k and would not have a locker in the tow rig myself.

It’s my preference. Just my .02$

Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Our buggy has a Detroit locker in the rear. And a high pinion E-locker in the front. I’ve towed it all over the west coast with a dodge flatbed that has a Posi. Never an issue getting to the wheeling spots. Even in the snow, sand, mud, gravel. Even back in the reiter pit days, I towed it thru the creek on many occasions. (For any who remembers the “old” reiter.

I regularly tow equipment and log/lumber upto 14k and would not have a locker in the tow rig myself.

It’s my preference. Just my .02$

OK. Nothing wrong with stating your preference, that's why we're here.

But it sounds like you're ignoring the information I offered (twice) that not ALL lunchbox lockers are made of 4 basic parts and behave the same way, as you claimed. Stating your experience is great, good info. But acknowledging that there's more to learn is even better.

The one I pointed out is a good option for someone who wants a locker but doesn't want typical ratcheting locker behavior. Mine was a daily driver for quite a while, and a good friend of mine has the same setup in his daily as well.

Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New, I'd go with Yukon as a value option.

Used? You can take your luck at a junkyard.. You don't know if they're gonna last another 100K miles or 100 feet.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:05 pm

RocketScott wrote:
Since we've got mechanically inclided folks here...

My '87 F150 (affectionatly known as the Honey Bucket) is a few ticks north of 350,000 miles, original 302 motor, original C6 trans(mission). Still in decent shape, plenty of life left in her

I'm looking at diff locks for a Ferd 8.8 rear end. There are 'lunchbox' lockers that go into the current carrier or complete carrier replacements with either air or electric activation

Anyone have any experiences with these?

The lunchbox lockers are engaged all the time and have a decernable click when going around corners. How is the drivability with that?

I'm not opposed to putting in a pump for the air activation if that would yield more reliability but running wires would be more straightforward

The reason I ask: This week I destroyed another rear tire trying to get up the hill to the dump. Loose gravel and a 6k trailer burned the weak side right out. I'd rather buy a locker once than rear tires over and over again, even if the cost is more than the truck is 'worth'

I put a Detroit Locker in the rear end of my Toyota Landcruiser and a Lockrite Locker in the front. VERY capable off road and unpleasant to drive on the black top.

With the back locked all the time any bumps or undulations in the road that threw me off a straight line meant the vehicle wanted to track in that direction so you are constantly adjusting the steering. If I was to do it again I'd again put the Lockrite in the front and put an E-Locker in the rear.

But, like I said very capable off road.

Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3