Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Axe Sharpening 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently purchased the 'Lansky Puck' axe and tool sharpener, but haven't used it yet. The directions say to use honing oil, which I do not have. My questions are as follows:

1: Does it have to be honing oil or would any oil (gun, motor, etc.) suffice?
2: What if I don't use oil or use the "wrong" oil, what will happen or fail in the sharpening process?
3: Does the stone hold onto the oil and it would only need applied occasionally or will it need to be applied each time and possibly taken to the field with me should I need to sharpen while away from the garage?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Motor oil works just fine for honing an edge using a stone. All it does is float away the metal particles being removed by the stone rather than the metal clogging up the surface of the stone. Re-application for every use is necessary - small squeeze bottle with folding sealer spout cap is the best carrier and application tool for oil.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:55 am

Send it to Seattle Edge.... :)

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was a kid I was taught that any light oil (think 3in1) would work, and if none was available to spit on the stone.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all of the responses.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even water will work (hence spitting on the stone), but I keep used motor oil around for sharpening. As Rene said, all you're trying to do is float the swarf (metal filings) off of the stone. I've also used 3 in 1 and keep a can handy with my stones. When I was a sawyer on a fire crew, we never used stones on our gear, we kept a mill bastard file in our packs to sharpen all our tools (axes, Pulaskis, R7 shovels, blood hooks, Mcleods, etc.).

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
Even water will work (hence spitting on the stone), but I keep used motor oil around for sharpening. As Rene said, all you're trying to do is float the swarf (metal filings) off of the stone. I've also used 3 in 1 and keep a can handy with my stones. When I was a sawyer on a fire crew, we never used stones on our gear, we kept a mill bastard file in our packs to sharpen all our tools (axes, Pulaskis, R7 shovels, blood hooks, Mcleods, etc.).

I've got one of those as well, maybe thats a better field carry option.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My old timer said they used kerosene.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:15 pm

I read about the mousepad, fine grit sandpaper and leather strap method for axe heads and I really am amazed how easy and effective it is.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GuyFromV wrote:
I read about the mousepad, fine grit sandpaper and leather strap method for axe heads and I really am amazed how easy and effective it is.

linky pls?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hell I bought a small belt sander and a bunch of different grit sand paper & leather strop works like a champ

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm
Profile YIM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just in joy wrote:
hell I bought a small belt sander and a bunch of different grit sand paper & leather strop works like a champ

Kinda tough to carry that in your pack along with the generator...

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a dremel with fine grinding wheel on mine. But I'm a rough bastard.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 pm

quantsuff wrote:
GuyFromV wrote:

linky pls?

I think just a search for "axe sharpening mousepad" will give a bunch of examples. Basically using a pad taped or adhered so it's immobile and flat then covering it with the sandpaper so you can move the head on the sandpaper with the give underneath caused by the mousepad and (I forgot this part) using a certain combo of coins under the ax head so that the angle remains constant is the gist of it. Then finish up the edge with the leather like ye olde barbers did to their straightrazors, also the leather can be sprinkled with a chromium oxide(I think ?) fine powder to make it much more efficient. I didn't do the leather/CrO stuff at all yet but the mousepad/sandpaper with coins underneath the head is awesome.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:41 pm
Profile WWW

GuyFromV wrote:
quantsuff wrote:
GuyFromV wrote:

linky pls?

I think just a search for "axe sharpening mousepad" will give a bunch of examples. Basically using a pad taped or adhered so it's immobile and flat then covering it with the sandpaper so you can move the head on the sandpaper with the give underneath caused by the mousepad and (I forgot this part) using a certain combo of coins under the ax head so that the angle remains constant is the gist of it. Then finish up the edge with the leather like ye olde barbers did to their straightrazors, also the leather can be sprinkled with a chromium oxide(I think ?) fine powder to make it much more efficient. I didn't do the leather/CrO stuff at all yet but the mousepad/sandpaper with coins underneath the head is awesome.

This is also how you hand sharpen a knife with a convex edge. It's more rounded and many consider it stronger than the straight edge produced by a stone, or sandpaper on a hard surface.
There are tons of videos on Youtube. Also check out bladeforums.com

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next