Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:07 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Need mechanic advice 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soooo I bought a 93' Honda Accord with 150k on it. When I arrived at the owners house yesterday it started right up. Runs very well. I got home and shut it off. Today after work I went to take it to town to change the title. But, it won't start. It just cranks over and over and over. Luckily it's a 5sp so I compression started it. That even took 3 times. After it ran for a few minutes I shut it off and restarted it multiple times, every time it fired up. So I drive it into town and spend 10 minutes inside the title place. When I go to leave, it does the same thing. Won't start, but starts with compression starting. Then after a few minutes of running I shut it off and started it back up with no problems. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would start with a battery.

Seems like its not holding a charge.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But it cranks over just fine. A weak battery would not allow a solid turn over???

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Itchin4Fishin wrote:
But it cranks over just fine. A weak battery would not allow a solid turn over???

Not necessarily. It won't hurt anything to have auto zone test the battery. It might just be a bit weak. Worth a shot and that's where I would start. I'm not a mechanic though.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

General Nonsense wrote:
Itchin4Fishin wrote:

Not necessarily. It won't hurt anything to have auto zone test the battery. It might just be a bit weak. Worth a shot and that's where I would start. I'm not a mechanic though.

You're right. I should at least get it checked. Thanks

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:

But he did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :rofl9:

Good advice. Try to fix the easy stuff before tearing into the engine.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Battery, and starter would be my first two steps.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could be a loose connection somewhere in the starting circuit. Once the car warms up (which surely the seller did just before you arrived), the metal in the connection expands from the heat just enough to make contact. Once it cools down, the contact is broken. Check the connections to the battery, starter solenoid, and starter. I'll bet you find one (or more) of them loose-ish.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's turning over fine then I would guess it's fuel or ignition. I'd just take it to a shop and have them run the codes.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bajarob wrote:
If it's turning over fine then I would guess it's fuel or ignition. I'd just take it to a shop and have them run the codes.

Also free diagnosis available at auto zone too.

Maybe check the air filter. Not sure if it is a possible cause of the problem, but always good to check it and see how it is.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Electrical, check leads on battery and starter

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:11 pm

If the starter is cranking the engine how would there be something wrong with it? It's doing it's job, same with the battery. I'd look at fuel supply and ignition, something is probably not getting a signal to "start" these processes.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fuel filter
coil
wires
fuel pump
ignition control unit

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would also check battery state of charge and capacity. What I suspect is happening is that there is enough voltage drop from the starting circuit that there in insufficient power available for the ignition circuit. That's why it will start by bump starting it(not using starting circuit) vs. trying to start it with the starter. Lot's of things can cause this. Failing battery, corroded or loose batt terminals, loose connection at starter, failing starter. Start at the battery and work your way around the circuit. Also having a battery charger hooked up during circuit testing is a good idea.

It could also be as simple as plugged fuel filter. Not enough power available to turn the fuel pump hard enough to supply pressure through restriction.

Air filter is very unlikely.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I don't know Hondas very well but have been a pro wrench for 20 years. There is a couple other pros on here as well. Benja would know Hondas pretty well I think.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next