Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 A 30x50 shop... costs how much? I guess i will do it myself. 

The DUDE Abides wrote:
When your project gets finished I'm sure we will hear aaaaaallllllll about it! Who's going to post for you when it doesn't?

I'll have my wife post about being a widow because i didn't hire someone. Should put a smile on your face.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:31 pm

bajarob wrote:
powder wrote:
No, but it's a few days work. You don't think i'm paying a whole years worth of healthcare for them do you? Even if you tack on 10/hr each it shouldn't approach 3x material cost.

Ok, i admit it, i regret posting this here. Most of you obviously think i'm just talking out my ass with my experience. I'll post from the hospital when i fall off a 16 foot roof and break both my legs because i cheaped out on harnesses that i don't currently own or know how to use. I won't forget to mention i hurt my back trying to lift a truss on top of a roof by myself because i decided a forklift or crane wasn't needed. Then after all that i won't fail to mention how i ended up spending 80k to have a contractor undo and redo everything better because the inspector failed me.

Thanks for your concern, maybe i'll just ball up and cry in a corner because i don't have a plan in place to build it on my own since i've never done this before.

I think you took what I said a bit personal....it was just a reply and my opinion...maybe you're just really really tore up about this.
At $25 an hour and employer would literaly be paying out of his pocket to have his guys work for you. He would have to charge atleast $50an hour to have any chance to make any money at all.
After seeing your smart ass post to my reply I believe there could also be a second issue here (thought the prices are not as out of line as you think anyways).......When biding a job you have to account for the people you are working for. Maybe you are rubbing the contractors the wrong way...maybe they think you were being rude or acting like you are a know it all, etc, etc.... Some people will just take extra efforts to work with...time is money, so you charge more....some people you charge even more for, because it will probably not be a good working environment and they will complain all along the way.
Figure every hour at least $50 and start the ticker the second you're having coffee looking at the empty lot.

I will admit that when i first started this thread, i was a little irritated. To every problem there is a solution though and i've come to terms with having to do it myself and am actually somewhat happy about it. Those bids were what it took to get my wife on board with the diy. So no, currently i am not tore up about this or anything, nor have i been since the day i started this. The sarcasm... well that's just how i deal with the internet in general and comments like "it has to be professionally done or you will hurt yourself or be in way over your head."

You are also wrong about me rubbing the contractors the wrong way.

This can be viewed as a massive vent with an instant feeling of "why the fuck did i just vent like that to people i've never met and don't know me for shit... i must have felt like trolling."

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

calshands wrote:
I'm looking at an L&I Rate Notice as I type this. Wood Frame Building Construction - Hourly Employer Contribution = 3.35110.

You're getting off cheap. I do the books for my Son's business and his rate is over $4/hr. That's a 25% surcharge on his starting employee's wages ($16/hr). When I show him the "Quarterly Report" before I file it he always says "WTF? If this crap keeps up I'm going to lay them all off and just do what I can by myself". He then stomps off muttering "$%^#ing taxes!".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:25 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Powder, one thing to take into consideration is trade experience. Sure there are people laughing at you for saying you could do it yourself, but that's because tradesmen hear it alllll the time. 99% of the time, they can't do it themselves. If you are the 1%, awesome, but you will still be stereotyped when you make that comment.

When I ran my design firm for 13 years, I can't count how many times a client said he would frame his house, prepare the land, run his own elec etc to save some $$. There was a handful who could, and did do it. The rest ended up in a pile of crap deeper than they could dig out of, eventually having to call in a contractor do fix or re-do all that the homeowner had done.

I have seen marriages ruined over construction projects, projects burned to the ground because of frustrated self builders and building inspectors getting frustrated over the lack of construction practices by people who, may understand basic framing, doesn't understand the details when it comes to structural or shear connections.

So, while you can take offense by some of the comments... Also realize that those comments are not coming from people with inexperience.

There is a guy who I designed a HUGE house for 6 years ago. He was going to do a lot of it himself and live on a trailer on the property. 6 years later and he is still framing. A month ago he came to me because he had some issues with the inspector and a rated fire wall assembly. The owner didn't understand the detail for continuity on a fire wall and had installed perpendicular framing members stud-to-stud, as well as a partial roof system on top of the wall... Without sealing that firewall first. I had to re-do quite a few details and make a lot more work for both the owner and inspector to prove UL values with a new half-assed fire rated assembly.

What was a basic and standard detail for a normal contractor ended up costing the homeowner 5 weeks of construction, 2k in materials and losing the trust of the inspector, who will now inspect nail by nail, no doubt finding more issues and items that would need to be remedied.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

powder wrote:
The DUDE Abides wrote:
When your project gets finished I'm sure we will hear aaaaaallllllll about it! Who's going to post for you when it doesn't?

I'll have my wife post about being a widow because i didn't hire someone. Should put a smile on your face.

I tell you what. In my "hastiness" to jump to conclusions on your lack of provided information, seeings how you were so nice to everyone around you. I will dedicate one whole weekend to helping you out on your project. No cost to you. Let me know when we can start.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:16 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

The DUDE Abides wrote:
powder wrote:
The DUDE Abides wrote:

I tell you what. In my "hastiness" to jump to conclusions on your lack of provided information, seeings how you were so nice to everyone around you. I will dedicate one whole weekend to helping you out on your project. No cost to you. Let me know when we can start.

That's a darned fine offer. :cheers2:

Waguns could make it like an old-fashioned Amish barn raising, except add in a lot of ice cold beer.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:20 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
Waguns could make it like an old-fashioned Amish barn raising, except add in a lot of ice cold beer.

Have you ever met DUDE? His beard would make Amish men jealous.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Massivedesign wrote:
PMB wrote:

Mod Edit: Do You want your motherboard to catch on fire again Mike?

Last edited by PMB on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
PMB wrote:

Heck, his beard makes Amish women jealous.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 am

Massivedesign wrote:
Powder, one thing to take into consideration is trade experience. Sure there are people laughing at you for saying you could do it yourself, but that's because tradesmen hear it alllll the time. 99% of the time, they can't do it themselves. If you are the 1%, awesome, but you will still be stereotyped when you make that comment.

When I ran my design firm for 13 years, I can't count how many times a client said he would frame his house, prepare the land, run his own elec etc to save some $$. There was a handful who could, and did do it. The rest ended up in a pile of crap deeper than they could dig out of, eventually having to call in a contractor do fix or re-do all that the homeowner had done.

I have seen marriages ruined over construction projects, projects burned to the ground because of frustrated self builders and building inspectors getting frustrated over the lack of construction practices by people who, may understand basic framing, doesn't understand the details when it comes to structural or shear connections.

So, while you can take offense by some of the comments... Also realize that those comments are not coming from people with inexperience.

There is a guy who I designed a HUGE house for 6 years ago. He was going to do a lot of it himself and live on a trailer on the property. 6 years later and he is still framing. A month ago he came to me because he had some issues with the inspector and a rated fire wall assembly. The owner didn't understand the detail for continuity on a fire wall and had installed perpendicular framing members stud-to-stud, as well as a partial roof system on top of the wall... Without sealing that firewall first. I had to re-do quite a few details and make a lot more work for both the owner and inspector to prove UL values with a new half-assed fire rated assembly.

What was a basic and standard detail for a normal contractor ended up costing the homeowner 5 weeks of construction, 2k in materials and losing the trust of the inspector, who will now inspect nail by nail, no doubt finding more issues and items that would need to be remedied.

I am in the 1%, i'm not trying to be cocky by saying that, but generally when people have the confidence to say such things, it comes off as cocky. I'm a tradesman myself and understand mechanics really well, to the point i surprise myself with what i can do at times. I've completely rewired and re plumbed my entire house as well as changed the floor plan, remodeled the kitchen and bath, created a utility room, etc. Somehow i think a ground up shop build will be more fun and go a little smoother than the remodel... but i have been wrong before.

I do understand there are those that talk like me and don't walk it though, and i understand those people give birth to the stereotype, so i cannot be too butthurt when people who've never met me don't give me the benefit of the doubt.

To anyone i may have offended, i apologize.

Last edited by powder on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:54 pm

The DUDE Abides wrote:
powder wrote:
The DUDE Abides wrote:

That is indeed a mighty fine offer, one i may take you up on. Saying no to help would be a mistake, i know this. I will let you know when my permits go through.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5