Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:47 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 The QUICK ADVICE Thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Selador wrote:
Alum should eat the steel and leave the brass alone, right?

I've no experience with that... How long would it take for a 1/2"-13 bolt?
Googling.

I don't know how long it would take.

But it doesn't have to dissolve the entire thing.

It will eat away at any steel surface in contact with the alum solution.

As it does so, it will work down the sides of the stuck bolt faster than it will eat away at the heart of the bolt.

Yours being loose in there, already, means the solution should get down and around the bolt, easily.

I'm thinking it will drop, or be easily pulled right out of there, fairly quickly.

If you do it, pay attention, then you tell US how long it took. :bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:41 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I leaned towards least destructive (alum) but the impatience set in so I broke out the drill.
I didn't immediately jump on the drill idea because I was worried that it might be a hardened bolt. Those suck to drill.
1/4" after trying to get the punch in the very center of the bolt:
Spoiler: show

Not terrible on the centering. :thumbsup2:

I went to 23/64 thinking that that might leave me thin enough walls to crunch out... It's kind of tough to drill through a bolt perfectly centered freehand, and the impatience had an effect on setting up the perfect jig for the drill press.

The remaining steel walls were still a bit too thick for easy crunching it out.... So I stuck in the 29/64 and it popped right out.

I gave it a scrub-a-dub-dub to get all the oils out and am heating it up on the woodstove to dry it out and get it ready for some soldering.

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:39 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

At least once a year I am test running an engine off of a temporary fuel tank.
Sometimes it is because the engine is on the stand and has no tank with it, and occasionally because I am tasked to fix an engine with a fuel feeding problem.

Each time that I have to do it, I cobble together a small tank from whatever occurs to me at the time. In the past these cobbled tanks have been from a piece of pipe with a nipple threaded in, a Briggs tank, and a few times I've even used a milk jug and hot glued the nipple near the bottom or glued into the lid and used upside down.

I'm looking for a better solution to the need for a portable fuel tank. Portable between engines... Anybody have a good set up?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:
EDIT: ^ what he said.

6" steps... more of them... but less effort to raise your feet and the steps stick out further from the vertical rise.

8" is probably more what you would be accustomed to in an interior stairway/more natural gait.

I'd tend to lean towards the 8" steps. Normal rise on interior steps is 7 1/2". 7 3/4" is also pretty common. I doubt you'll notice the extra 1/4". Tread depth should be 10" for a flush nose, 11 1/4" to 11 1/2" with 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" overhang if you want an overhung nose.

If your rise is 24" then you're only looking at 2 actual treads with the 3rd step being up into the house. Less steps is preferable IMO. It'll also take up less real estate in the garage having 2 steps protruding from the doorway as opposed to 3. That's my line of thinking anyway.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:53 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

dan360 wrote:
PMB wrote:
At least once a year I am test running an engine off of a temporary fuel tank.
Sometimes it is because the engine is on the stand and has no tank with it, and occasionally because I am tasked to fix an engine with a fuel feeding problem.

Each time that I have to do it, I cobble together a small tank from whatever occurs to me at the time. In the past these cobbled tanks have been from a piece of pipe with a nipple threaded in, a Briggs tank, and a few times I've even used a milk jug and hot glued the nipple near the bottom or glued into the lid and used upside down.

I'm looking for a better solution to the need for a portable fuel tank. Portable between engines... Anybody have a good set up?

I have a couple of these I found used at garage sales. Carry a tiny motorcycle battery, electric pump, and various pieces of connection stuff in a small tool baggie. One for gas one for diesel.

https://www.amazon.com/QuickSilver-MERC ... 9099&psc=1

3.2 gallon outboard tank. Quicksilver/Mercury Marine but have seen them all over.

Wow. That outboard tank is exactly the solution. Has the feed tube that drops to near the bottom of the tank and the hand pump to get the fuel to the motor.
:bow:

I was picturing TIG welding something up. :ROFLMAO:
Thank you Dan. Probably saved me a full day's worth of running around and buying stuff and putting it together... And it wouldn't have been as handy as this.

Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A buddy of mine from HS is struggling with his middle school daughter's new preferred identity, and he has been asking for advice. They live in Alaska, and he and his wife have raised her and her sister to be independent and self sufficient. She helps do repair work around the house and on vehicles, they go hunting and fishing together all the time. His daughter has always been a bit of a tom boy, but I knew a lot of girls growing up in AK who were. As someone who works with kids I still see a lot of tom boy girls, it's pretty common. However, over the past months his oldest daughter has been feeling like she likes both boys and girls, and very recently wanted to be called by boys name she has selected for herself. He is really struggling because he wants to be supportive, but doesn't really know how to deal with it. He feels this might just be a phase, but he is worried about her getting picked on at school and all that comes with switching sides.

I told him to support his daughter in her decision, it could be just a phase, but it could be more, and that he doesn't want to push away his daughter. Often times young people who make these decisions are not supported at home and/or by their peers and they could potentially run away or cause themselves self harm because they don't have someone to talk to or support them as a person.

What is this collective think tank's advice on this? Have you had to deal with this in your family?

And no 'a buddy of mine' is not code for me.

I guess this is not the advice thread I was looking for. Not really a DIY issue.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone here know how to read a capacitor?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Anyone here know how to read a capacitor?

Sure!!!

It says: (And I even translated those little symbols!)
XENON
U60000X700C3G-
70 moof Starship Enterprise 5%b MK SH
320/480Vac.
50/60 Hz -25/70
MOTORE 220/240
TEMPO NSERIM. 1.5"
PERIODO RIPETIZIONE 6"
CE 02(something)2009 Russia

Yer welcome! :bigsmile:

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:09 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I am looking over the options for a fishing boat cover.

This is for a 14' long x 48" beam aluminum fishing boat, no canopy. I want it to be trailerable with the cover.
I'm considering building some stainless hoops to give it a roof shape, as I dislike finding rain covers turned into small ponds even worse than leaving a boat uncovered.

There are so many options that I am hoping someone here has found a good quality boat cover of the type that I am describing.
I really hate ordering something and receiving a low quality item that sounded good.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I am looking over the options for a fishing boat cover.

This is for a 14' long x 48" beam aluminum fishing boat, no canopy. I want it to be trailerable with the cover.
I'm considering building some stainless hoops to give it a roof shape, as I dislike finding rain covers turned into small ponds even worse than leaving a boat uncovered.

There are so many options that I am hoping someone here has found a good quality boat cover of the type that I am describing.
I really hate ordering something and receiving a low quality item that sounded good.

Build one first out of pvc pipe and a tarp.

Use that as a pattern, or example to build your own out of stainless steel pipe.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

capacitors are rated in voltage and farads

70 microfarad, 480V

tempo inserim is Italian for 'temporary insert transfer'

and periodo repitizone is Italian for 'repetition'

I have a feeling it's referring to a duty cycle, which usually isn't put on capacitors.

It would appear to be a buffer capacitor for a motor, allowing it to start without drawing 4x the normal current. 70uF is a very common size for motor start capacitors..

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:56 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I am building a tandem axle and another triple axle trailer and trying to figure out the right combination of hanger sizes. Anyone know how to figure out the ideal hanger sizes?

Some suspension kits come with all hangers the same height, and some come with a "taller" center hanger.
The axles are 6k, tires are lowboy 8-14.5 trailer tires.

Spring mounting hardware:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Traile ... rings.aspx

Attachment:
APT3_250.jpg

Attachment:
APS4_4_250.jpg

Attachment:
APT8_250.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:04 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I asked the customer service fellow that answered the phone and his reply was foolish.
"That's a question for a trailer manufacturer. We sell parts only to replace on a manufactured trailer."
Bullshit. The site is replete with new construction parts and advice, just not why there are differences in hanger heights.
Attachment:
hanger placement1.jpg

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Call HELWIG? (They manufacture springs and etc)

Hangar heights differ (and I'm guessing) because of the rate of flex for different stacks and weight capacity, as well as tire size?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next