Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rifle light mount. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never had a light mount on a rifle before. I've got dozens of small and cheap tactical lights, so I figured I'd save myself a Benjamin and just figure out something that works.

Since I'm rocking the 3x, mounted on the carry handle, I didnt really need the qd mount it came with.

$2.28 later.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was, as I understand it, one of the earliest uses or ways to mount lights on guns in the military.

Before pic rails and similar, I've seen some pictures and drawings of SF guys with maglights and similar fashioned to barrels and foreends with various clamps or heavy duty tape.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That kac grip used to be Bubba'd to an A2 foregrip with a 2-slot pic rail bolted through the vent holes.

Ingenuity-->Design-->Production

...and sometimes in the opposite order when it comes to $$ lol

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the body of that flashlight is 1” diameter.
I’d personally just use a set of weaver scope rings mounted directly to your quad rail.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weaver no fit pic rails.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just needs to be wrapped in black duct tape to finish the diy tactical look.

Divided we fall.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What? No JB Weld? Rookie.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is an article explaining the dimensions of Weaver vs Picatinny.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ope-rails/

“ Boiled down, it means that accessories designed for a Weaver system will, in most cases, fit on a ‘Picatinny’ system. The reverse, however, is probably not the case. Due to the larger recoil groove, ‘Picatinny’ accessories will not fit a Weaver system. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but for a good rule-of-thumb, [full-width] ‘Picatinny’ won’t fit Weaver, but Weaver will fit ‘Picatinny’.”

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:24 am

Just a quick suggestion.... did you consider black zip ties? I would think that 3-4 decent sized black zip ties would be sufficient and look a whole lot cleaner and not so bubba'd.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the same idea for the scope rings awhile back. (Since I already have one of those as well) but the spacing on the slots was different, and wouldnt fit.

I never gave any thought to zip ties, that would easily work. The main reason hose clamps stuck with me, was because many different lights would be interchangeable. That appeals to me since I still havent decided which one to use permanently.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Just a quick suggestion.... did you consider black zip ties? I would think that 3-4 decent sized black zip ties would be sufficient and look a whole lot cleaner and not so bubba'd.

Zip ties would be a swell idea.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ever think of posting WTB?

I've got a bag of random light mounts you can root through

Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Ever think of posting WTB?

I've got a bag of random light mounts you can root through

Remind me again how someone collects an entire bag of rejects? How many other bags of rejected accessories do you have stuffed away? Please realize this is mostly tongue-in-cheek. We all carry baggage..lol.

Seriously though, my own lack of funds, and frustration with waisting money over the years has lead me to this type of trial and error.

What I wish for is a pile of common crap that Wagunners could borrow from to try out. If you think about it, how much $ do we all waste just trying shit out? How many boxes, bags, and cabinets do we all have stuffed to the gills with doodads that just didnt quite work for us?

Maybe I'll talk to the mods about a loaner library where folks can just throw up a request to try stuff out.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I totally understand. :thumbsup2:
And honestly I was not try to bash you for being cheap. I am too. That’s how I know Weaver rings will work.
And also I’ve Bubbed up my fair share of firearms. All you did is slap on some hose clamps. That’s easily reversed.
I mean hose clamps worked for Larry Vickers and his Colt Model 723. (1989ish)
.Imageclosest gas station near me right now

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RockHopper wrote:
What I wish for is a pile of common crap that Wagunners could borrow from to try out.

Clearly, you have never laid eyes on the North End Supporters PIF box. :rofl9:

Seriously though, I've often thought it would be nice to have a "community sample box." The only problem is human nature would eventually ruin it. Maybe if I win a huge Powerball jackpot, I'll come up with something like that.

Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next