Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 67  Next
 Name That Tool 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
THat looks like a tissue core sampler use for autopsy organ cores.

It's used to take core samples for ahi tuna, but I'm sure it has other uses like the one you described.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:24 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Here's a bit of a reversal...

Name the highest quality electric 4.5" grinder currently on the market, or if not currently produced, still likely to find in good condition on the 2ndary market.
I've gone through 3 grinders/slicers that are worthy of being named and 2 more that I bought on a lark as throwaways, and none of the 5 has lasted half as long as the ones I've owned in previous years.

Any good experiences with modern one-hand grinders? I'm specifically asking about the 90 degree bevel gear type, but generally beginning to think that all modern electric motors of the universal type are becoming garbagy.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://m.tools-plus.com/makita-9564pc. ... gJ9dPD_BwE

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:
https://m.tools-plus.com/makita-9564pc.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlv_Ivui-2gIVA9RkCh05GANKEAQYBiABEgJ9dPD_BwE

I’ve had a Makita like that for several years. I don’t use it a ton but it’s still going strong. I also have a hitachi that I use at work that’s older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same here, Makita.
I grind, a lot, have gone through some high priced name brand stuff that doesn't make it past 10 hours of use, DeWalt and Ryobi the worse of box store staples.
Makita's will break and wear out, but I can get twice as many hours and wheels on a Makita than the others.
I don't waste time rebuilding, when gear drive or brushes go bad, it gets dropped in the cigar fund recycling bucket.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:50 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Makita has been my fav since high school for longevity and good feels in the hand, but I had two burn out within 6 months of brand new a several years ago so started looking around at others.
Guess I'll give Makita a try again.
Thanks gentlemen.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
Same here, Makita.
I grind, a lot, have gone through some high priced name brand stuff that doesn't make it past 10 hours of use, DeWalt and Ryobi the worse of box store staples.
Makita's will break and wear out, but I can get twice as many hours and wheels on a Makita than the others.
I don't waste time rebuilding, when gear drive or brushes go bad, it gets dropped in the cigar fund recycling bucket.

I’ll take ‘em.

I rebuild most things. Depends on parts costs, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:41 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

ironworker78 wrote:
https://m.tools-plus.com/makita-9564pc.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlv_Ivui-2gIVA9RkCh05GANKEAQYBiABEgJ9dPD_BwE

Quote:
13 amp motor allows you to tackle the toughest grinding applications confidentially

Secret grinding. :thumbsup2:

I've always favored the paddle switch and was surprised that there are a set of people who hate the paddle switch with a passion.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had the same Makita 4" grinder since '92. A testament to not, apparently, using my grinder as hard as you guys, but it has gotten PLENTY of use and I'll stand by it.

Slide switch. A paddle switch seems to me to be an inadvertent trigger tap away from a potentially bad accident.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jukk0u wrote:
I've had the same Makita 4" grinder since '92. A testament to not, apparently, using my grinder as hard as you guys, but it has gotten PLENTY of use and I'll stand by it.

I won my first Makita 4.5" in a welding contest in 1984, lasted almost 10 years. Didn't use it much while I was in the service, so it had about half of that time off. :bigsmile:
I might have hit two lemons in a row.

jukk0u wrote:
Slide switch. A paddle switch seems to me to be an inadvertent trigger tap away from a potentially bad accident.

The new paddle switches all have a little key that locks them off until consciously unlocked, but I see your point. I have operated some without that lock and had a few "loss of grinder accidents". No fun and cost me a few wheels.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing that helps prolong an electric motor's life is to, when finished with a chore, blow out the motor housing with compressed air.

"Absolutely kill it with compressed air" was the recommendation of a tool repair tech.

Chop saws, table saws, grinders etc and etc. Get the debris out from where it can creep into places it shouldn't be.

(MDF SUCKS! but the subject of another conversation)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:

That's the ones that I use. Smooth and reliable.

I bought a dewalt at a garage sale fora deal. It looks the same as the Makita but it screams so loud and will vibrate your hand to sleep quickly. I hate it. Dewalt sure has gone to shit lately.

I only buy RED or BLUE or GREEN power tools. Keep in mind that the blue and green guys have cheap home owner versions that are not that great.

If two look the same, same color but one is $89 and one is $129, there is a difference.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slide switch is the home owner model.

The paddle switch is a commercial one. Osha wont let you use a tool that stays on if dropped on the jobsite.

I have one slide switch one and its lighter and noisier than the paddle style.

I'm very hard on these too. One always has a 4" cup course wire wheel that is heavy and intended for the larger framed grinders. I buy grinder discs and flap wheels by the case.

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:31 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I fixed my Makita grinder deficiency. Gracias gentlemen.

Square drive brace bit adapter? The hex opening is 3/4" across the flats.

Sun May 06, 2018 2:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I fixed my Makita grinder deficiency. Gracias gentlemen.

How uncouth!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun May 06, 2018 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 994 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 67  Next