Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Name That Tool 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
delliottg wrote:
What bands?

These bands. I each for Reverse, Low and Brake. They look like brake shoes except they clamp down on the outside of the drum, vs expanding into the inside of a drum

Oh, I think I see. Reminds me a bit of a 63 Ford Econoline I had as my first "car". The shifter on the 4 in a tree (yep, 4) broke, so I couldn't get it into reverse after I'd jury rigged the shifter to work in the four forward gears (piece of garden hose & several hose clamps). So, I learned to park where I didn't need to back up, and if I did, I'd rigged a coat hanger through the front grill that'd allow me to pull the shifter forward into reverse gear (fondly nicknamed "Manuel Rivera by my girlfriend"), then when I was done reversing, I'd have to use a giant 2' long screw driver to push the shifter back into neutral. Pretty much sucked, but the part to fix the shifter was no longer made, and even when it was, was only available in Canada, where the van was originally from. I still talk to her occasionally 45 years later, and we still laugh about Manuel Rivera.

I learned a LOT owning that van.

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone know what this is? Found it today at the cemetery (don't ask).
Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found a tool I made for some boat project. Hell if I can remember what I was turning with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Tool complete:

It didn't look like this when I started cleaning it. This thing had decades of dust glued to earlier decades of completely dried oil/grease. Impressively tough stuff to clean off and out of the nooks and crannies.

Markings : 14 The Keystone Mfg Co Buffalo NY

Component parts :
The top portion is a ratchet handle. The knurled knob to the Right pulls out and rotates to reverse direction.

This part has a male acme threaded rod... which screws into this part :

Which is the part on the Right in the Pieces/parts photo.

One side of this piece is the female acme threaded portion on one side, and a #2 Morse Taper (f) on the other.

Inserted into the #2 Morse Taper was this piece:
#2 Morse Taper (m) on one side, Square drive about 11/16" on the other.

There is a fine thread exposed on the internal part that ratchets. The top photo doesn't show it well.
Ah, might as well mark up the pic. Here it is. The threads are exposed when it is all put together as I found it.

The closest that I have found is an eBay listing calling it a "14" Ratcheting Machinist Tool Holder" .
I'm guessing that it is a tap handle, but nothing like I have used before.
How is the "dead center" used on this tool?

It's a fairly elaborate tool for the simple use that I am thinking of, so my real guess is that I know nothing.

"There are violent crazy murderous people in our society! We need to give up all of our means of self-protection IMMEDIATELY!"

Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Tool complete:
Spoiler: show

It didn't look like this when I started cleaning it. This thing had decades of dust glued to earlier decades of completely dried oil/grease. Impressively tough stuff to clean off and out of the nooks and crannies.

Markings : 14 The Keystone Mfg Co Buffalo NY

Component parts :
The top portion is a ratchet handle. The knurled knob to the Right pulls out and rotates to reverse direction.

This part has a male acme threaded rod... which screws into this part :

Which is the part on the Right in the Pieces/parts photo.

One side of this piece is the female acme threaded portion on one side, and a #2 Morse Taper (f) on the other.

Inserted into the #2 Morse Taper was this piece:
#2 Morse Taper (m) on one side, Square drive about 11/16" on the other.

There is a fine thread exposed on the internal part that ratchets. The top photo doesn't show it well.
Ah, might as well mark up the pic. Here it is. The threads are exposed when it is all put together as I found it.

The closest that I have found is an eBay listing calling it a "14" Ratcheting Machinist Tool Holder" .
I'm guessing that it is a tap handle, but nothing like I have used before.
How is the "dead center" used on this tool?

It's a fairly elaborate tool for the simple use that I am thinking of, so my real guess is that I know nothing.

It's a ratchmocentahammer!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

The problem with being on social media, is that you know too many people that you don't know.

Joy is not a feeling. It is a strength. Some people are stupid, that's all there is to it. (And sometimes that stupid person is me/you.) Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid. Don't let stupid steal your joy.

Holding onto unforgiveness and resentment is like drinking poison and expecting that other person to die. Anger will eat you up.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Scratch scratch
Attachment:
TheIronAgeKeystoneAd.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"There are violent crazy murderous people in our society! We need to give up all of our means of self-protection IMMEDIATELY!"

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Scratch scratch
Attachment:
TheIronAgeKeystoneAd.jpg

They obviously don't know what they are talking about. Must be a bloomberg/progressive company.

It's a ratchmocentahammer!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

The problem with being on social media, is that you know too many people that you don't know.

Joy is not a feeling. It is a strength. Some people are stupid, that's all there is to it. (And sometimes that stupid person is me/you.) Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid. Don't let stupid steal your joy.

Holding onto unforgiveness and resentment is like drinking poison and expecting that other person to die. Anger will eat you up.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yea, is the square drive tapered on the inside?

It's a ratchet for getting into spots that a brace can't be used in

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

There does seem to be a slight taper to the square drive. It's not as severe a taper as a brace bit though.

It's looking more like a heavy duty multi-use tool. Power down drilling, morse taper shanks.
Quote:
"A packing ratchet is essentially a hand powered drill for boring into a piece of metal that couldn't be moved from where it was. Usually used by steam engineers, millwrights and ironworkers. The ratchet was used in tandem with a deadman. The deadman has three parts ...the base which is attached by chains to the piece to be bored, an upright metal rod of sufficient diameter to prevent flexing and a traveling bracket that projected at right angles. The ratchet has one end tipped with a point that was housed in the traveling bracket. The other end has a depression, often a morse taper, that held the bit. With each revolution of the ratchet, the internal threading extended the bit just a little boring the hole. If you look in heavy hardware catalogs of the period and industrial supply catalogs, you will find a variety of ratchets and deadman rigs. I would guess that the ratchet was an essential part of the toolbox of the ironworker, millwright and steam engineer. " Encyclopedia of Antique Tools and Machinery by Wendel states "The boiler rachet was used for replacing boiler stay bolts."

I'm looking for pics or vids of one of these in use with the deadman.

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:20 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Old school mag drill, no power needed! haha!

https://youtu.be/zG1Dby44EnM

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17