Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Water Leak detection and automatic cutoff valves systems 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Between my recent pipe burst, my mother leaving faucets on and my friend's house getting ruined from a leak, I want to do something about minimizing the possibility of water leaks at the house.

Has anyone in the forums have a good setup?

I am leaning towards installing the Moen Flo to measure water directly and a second Zigbee based ball valve handle controller tied to water sensors at suspected leak spots in the house.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We went cheap, old school.

We have Zircon leak alert sensors.

We have them under all of the sinks, under the dishwasher(with external silencer), under and around the water heater, under the bathroom sinks, behind the toilets, and next to the washing machine.

The only one that’s gone off so far, was the washing machine one, when the water outlet overflowed.

We knew instantly, that sucker is loud (90 decibels).

I’m sure there’s something out there that cuts the water off & calls the plumber for ya, but these work great for us, and you can easily test them.

Many thanks to the brother on here that turned us on to them :thumbsup2:

Didn’t get them from Amazon, but here’s a link jus5 to show what I’m talking about…

https://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Detector- ... 7WG82?th=1

Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its when I am not home that I worry. The other half doesn't know how to cutoff the water supply even though I have showed her before and when I went to Africa I took off the hoses for the freeze and she put them back on and left them to freeze and crack. Just glad they melted when I was back home.

That is why I want some home automation with battery backup. I would much rather be inconvenienced by water shutting off rarely than a one time $20k+ damage from water. A friend's house was destroyed when he came back from deployment and looks like insurance will not pay out.

side note: Friendly PSA to shut off water when you leave.

Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gotcha :thumbsup2:

Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:38 pm

I've installed a lot of these at work (I'm a plumber). My boss really likes the Streamlabs one, because it's brass and has a full port shutoff valve, but I think it's more expensive than the Moenflo. I believe it also accepts a 9V battery for backup when power is out.

These devices are getting more affordable/widespread/popular. I always recommend that people just turn off their main and water heater if they are going to be away for a significant amount of time, but even 20 minutes of water can create thousands of dollars in damage.

Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cast_iron_plumber wrote:
I've installed a lot of these at work (I'm a plumber). My boss really likes the Streamlabs one, because it's brass and has a full port shutoff valve, but I think it's more expensive than the Moenflo. I believe it also accepts a 9V battery for backup when power is out.

These devices are getting more affordable/widespread/popular. I always recommend that people just turn off their main and water heater if they are going to be away for a significant amount of time, but even 20 minutes of water can create thousands of dollars in damage.

Told them if they are leaving for more than 2 days to do that as well, but I know they are forgetful (and I have forgotten when rushing out of the house).

I ended up installing the Moen integrated with 6 wet sensors, with UPS backups on the wifi/router and Moen. It looks like they have fixed the impeller issues in the last 2 years, but time will tell and it was the only one that would arrive in time for me to install during my visit.

I also ordered a Bulldog (https://www.econetshop.com/bulldog.html) with a wired wet sensor for backup. Bothers can install that fairly easily and I go back and have a redundant set of zigbee remote sensors installed as well.

Whole system is just under a grand (parts only including basic plumbing wetwork).

I also added cutoff lines with drains on the spigot sides , replaced the water bibs with threaded Woodford model 19s and replaced some pipe that a plumber did because it had dead space (that I cut down to 3" instead of 3') and left water sit near the spigots instead of at a slight angle to drain.

Long term goal is to get them a good Home Assistant setup.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]