Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Portable portable tool storage suggestions :D 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I've been slowly been building my stash of M18 tools. I started with impacts and drills and am expanding to circular saws, grease guns, sanders, etc.

I've run into a bit of a problem, though.

I've been trying to keep each tool and related components in its own tool bag, but too often I'm finding things are not optimal. Example, I have a 3/8 compact mid torque impact and a 1/4 impact, and I find myself pulling the 3/8 sockets out of the 3/8 bag frequently and using them with the 1/4 and an adapter because I don't want to risk breaking the fasteners, which I tend to do with the 3/8.

I'm also running into issues with battery storage, where I'd try to keep at least one battery in each bag with each tool, but then grab a battery out of another bag when I need one and end up with one bag with 4 batteries in it, and 3 of them are dead :bigsmile: ... meanwhile I now have 2 other bags with no batteries.

Some things either don't fit 'neatly' into a bag, eg circular saw + blades, or grease gun.... and as I get more sockets they don't fit in the bags either.

I really didn't want a stack of tools boxes, but the packout system looks good, albeit way too much money, and still wouldn't be a perfect solution.

I have had good luck with a Ridgid case for my AK pistol, but there's still not enough room in there for all the sockets...or for oddball stuff .. but the durability and sealed/waterproof nature of those style of boxes seems great.

I kinda feel like I need to have the tools, batteries, and accessories, all separated, but at the same time I want to have everything together so if I'm using the 3/8 impact I can just grab the 3/8 'box' (or bag, currently), and use it..... So, if have a spot for a circular saw then I want all the blades with it. Sander? Needs to be with sandpaper. etc.

Suggestions?

I did some logistics research and it appears .mil basically has each item with its own serial number in its own pelican case... with any accessories completely separate.. which is way overkill for me. I can't have 30 cases laying around.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ended up color coding my bags, gardening - green, electronics/heat - red, drills - black (corded) and blue (battery based).

I have a shelf under the stairs where I keep all the batteries and chargers and a bag I load up each time. Not grab and go, but i've gotten used to the system and always have batteries charged, plus its in a conditioned space.

I was thinking of marking the bags with corresponding batteries by electrical tape but I need to finish the living space first.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chuckisduck wrote:
I ended up color coding my bags, gardening - green, electronics/heat - red, drills - black (corded) and blue (battery based).

I have a shelf under the stairs where I keep all the batteries and chargers and a bag I load up each time. Not grab and go, but i've gotten used to the system and always have batteries charged, plus its in a conditioned space.

I was thinking of marking the bags with corresponding batteries by electrical tape but I need to finish the living space first.

Bags stopped working for me, for a couple reasons.

They're not at all weather resistant. They're either too big or too small. They're not easily stored/stacked.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
chuckisduck wrote:

They're not at all weather resistant. They're either too big or too small. They're not easily stored/stacked.

The Apache 4800s are a good cheap ones, or get a used pelican without foam is what I would do.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chuckisduck wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
chuckisduck wrote:

The Apache 4800s are a good cheap ones, or get a used pelican without foam is what I would do.

Quote:
I did some logistics research and it appears .mil basically has each item with its own serial number in its own pelican case... with any accessories completely separate.. which is way overkill for me. I can't have 30 cases laying around.

:bigsmile:

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get a truck with a canopy and toss it all in the back. Lol

Just my. .02.
Sockets are hand tools. Impacts are power tools. I don't keep power tools and hand tools in the same containers.

I have two tool bags that "go" with me. One is full of sets, like a 1/2" socket/ratchet set, a box/set of 1/4" hex bits, box of drill bits, and 1/4" socket/ratchet set.

The other bag is all loose hand tools. Wrenches, pliers, mag screwdriver, hammers, wedges, punches, screwdrivers, visegrips, crescent wrenches, allens, etc.

Then I grab whatever power tool I need at that time to compliment the bags for the job.

I do have a nice handyman/plumber kinda tool open top tool tray/box that fits 1 impact, 1 drill, 1 sander, 1 vibraty cuttoff thingy, and extra batteries and a hex bit set and pencils that usually goes with to.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You don’t want bags.
You don’t want cases.
You don’t want boxes.

Buckets, belts, backpacks, or everything tied together in a big blanket over your shoulder on a stick.

www.bucketboss.com

Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:
You don’t want bags.
You don’t want cases.
You don’t want boxes.

Buckets, belts, backpacks, or everything tied together in a big blanket over your shoulder on a stick.

http://www.bucketboss.com

$60 for a 16" tool bag -- I get quality is on a different level, but the last two 16" and 18" tool bags I bought at HF and HD were ~$12 and ~$18 respectively.... and the issue with the tool bag is, stuff doesn't fit.... Then you run into the issue of it stacking/fitting in one location, then marking/quick identification so you're not opening 8 bags to figure out which is which. I guess a big sharpie or some spray paint and stencils could work, because that's probably what I'd do with a case.. but....

I really thought about the mounting kits and 3D printing options for mounting tools and batteries - the only issue is, in order for that to be feasible, I'd have to mount them in an exterior compartment - which would be a target for theft, and no way I'm putting thousands in tools in the easiest place to get them....

Space inside would be at a premium, but cases could be easily stacked/stored.

Theoretically, I could mount the tools on the bases INSIDE the truck in relatively unused location eg 'wasted space', and keep 2 bags handy and just toss what I need into the bags, but there are plenty of times where I need 3 tools and 4 boxes of impact sockets/ bit drivers/ drills, etc. which wouldn't fit in those bags.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
You don’t want bags.
You don’t want cases.
You don’t want boxes.

$60 for a 16" tool bag -- I get quality is on a different level, but the last two 16" and 18" tool bags I bought at HF and HD were ~$12 and ~$18 respectively.... and the issue with the tool bag is, stuff doesn't fit.... Then you run into the issue of it stacking/fitting in one location, then marking/quick identification so you're not opening 8 bags to figure out which is which. I guess a big sharpie or some spray paint and stencils could work, because that's probably what I'd do with a case.. but....

I really thought about the mounting kits and 3D printing options for mounting tools and batteries - the only issue is, in order for that to be feasible, I'd have to mount them in an exterior compartment - which would be a target for theft, and no way I'm putting thousands in tools in the easiest place to get them....

Theoretically, I could mount the tools on the bases INSIDE the truck in relatively unused location eg 'wasted space', and keep 2 bags handy and just toss what I need into the bags, but there are plenty of times where I need 3 tools and 4 boxes of impact sockets/ bit drivers/ drills, etc. which wouldn't fit in those bags.

Is this for a mobile application only or from shop/shed/house to mobile for field work? Or are we storing at a site and working outside moving tools 50-100 ft or so as we go?

Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
You don’t want bags.
You don’t want cases.
You don’t want boxes.

Is this for a mobile application only or from shop/shed/house to mobile for field work? Or are we storing at a site and working outside moving tools 50-100 ft or so as we go?

It's going in the WeenieWagun - permanently - eventually..

It's going to be mostly for repairing anything I need to, or fabricate anything I need to (I have a welder and plasma cutter planed to install as well, in addition to add'l onboard air tanks, hose reels, etc).

Currently, they're in bags, sitting in a storage container about 20' from the truck, but I'm trying to get ahead of things and keep things organized - something that will work now and for the future.

I just learned the Rigid 2.0 boxes have wall hangers..... that's... enticing.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was gonna mention why not a rigid box or jo box, as for batteries why not make 1 https://www.pinterest.com/pin/359373245262174156/

Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
You don’t want bags.
You don’t want cases.
You don’t want boxes.

It's going to be mostly for repairing anything I need to, or fabricate anything I need to (I have a welder and plasma cutter planed to install as well, in addition to add'l onboard air tanks, hose reels, etc).

Currently, they're in bags, sitting in a storage container about 20' from the truck, but I'm trying to get ahead of things and keep things organized - something that will work now and for the future.

The Milwaukee and Ryobi boxes do as well. They're all made by the same company, vertically integrated tool branding. (TTI). At any rate.....
I have a lot of tools. A lot. More than most. Not bragging, just part of my job. I also have a variety of storage and mobility issues with them. Work truck, personal truck, house, shop, cabin, boat, etc. In the 28 or so years I've made a living with tools, nothing is a perfect solution, nothing is a permanent solution, and the trade offs are enormous when trying to cherry pick the best bang for the buck or juice for the squeeze with storage issues.

A "life hack" I have tried and succeeded with in my main tool box is to not worry about all the tools organized by kind/type in the same spot. Some of my sockets are over there, some are over here, some are up there, I have duplicates and even triplicates of many tools just for convenience; wrenches in the air tool drawer or bag for quick change of die grinder consumables; wrenches, sockets, and ratchets in with my battery maint kit; where I seem to need them the most is where they will be.

For mobility the bigger bags that come with the cordless tools like you said are either too small or too big; all the tools in one bag takes up more space than a softball girl's gear bag and that plain sucks. My bucket snarky comment wasn't all in jest--I use buckets a LOT to put tools in and carry them around. My entire M12 collection is in one right now as I type this. They're easy to carry around, they stack somewhat well, they're watertight with the lid on, and it works as a chair. You can hang them, you can sling load them, you can pick blackberries with them, and if you ever find yourself in a pickle with needing to take an emergency dump and don't want to risk miscalculation and hit your shorts on a squat, well.... plus, the chances of someone coming along with nefarious intent and making off with a white Ace Hardware bucket v. a bright red Milwaukawaywithyee tool bag is slim to none, unless perhaps they have the same emergency need or desire a container to haul black market anhydrous ammonia home in their hooptee.

My portable collection has an old Kennedy cantilever tool box in it. They figured it out back in the 40s. It's amazing how much you can fit in one. They can get heavy but if taken care of will outlast us. Mine is literally from the 1950s and still works as good as the day my grandpa bought it new. Similar to this Homak one. https://www.amazon.com/Homak-Industrial ... r=1-1&th=1

You'll never get it just right, I promise you that. Find something quick and dirty (and cheap) that works now and later on, change it up as your situation dictates.

Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
You don’t want bags.
You don’t want cases.
You don’t want boxes.

The Milwaukee and Ryobi boxes do as well. They're all made by the same company, vertically integrated tool branding. (TTI). At any rate.....
I have a lot of tools. A lot. More than most. Not bragging, just part of my job. I also have a variety of storage and mobility issues with them. Work truck, personal truck, house, shop, cabin, boat, etc. In the 28 or so years I've made a living with tools, nothing is a perfect solution, nothing is a permanent solution, and the trade offs are enormous when trying to cherry pick the best bang for the buck or juice for the squeeze with storage issues.

A "life hack" I have tried and succeeded with in my main tool box is to not worry about all the tools organized by kind/type in the same spot. Some of my sockets are over there, some are over here, some are up there, I have duplicates and even triplicates of many tools just for convenience; wrenches in the air tool drawer or bag for quick change of die grinder consumables; wrenches, sockets, and ratchets in with my battery maint kit; where I seem to need them the most is where they will be.

For mobility the bigger bags that come with the cordless tools like you said are either too small or too big; all the tools in one bag takes up more space than a softball girl's gear bag and that plain sucks. My bucket snarky comment wasn't all in jest--I use buckets a LOT to put tools in and carry them around. My entire M12 collection is in one right now as I type this. They're easy to carry around, they stack somewhat well, they're watertight with the lid on, and it works as a chair. You can hang them, you can sling load them, you can pick blackberries with them, and if you ever find yourself in a pickle with needing to take an emergency dump and don't want to risk miscalculation and hit your shorts on a squat, well.... plus, the chances of someone coming along with nefarious intent and making off with a white Ace Hardware bucket v. a bright red Milwaukawaywithyee tool bag is slim to none, unless perhaps they have the same emergency need or desire a container to haul black market anhydrous ammonia home in their hooptee.

My portable collection has an old Kennedy cantilever tool box in it. They figured it out back in the 40s. It's amazing how much you can fit in one. They can get heavy but if taken care of will outlast us. Mine is literally from the 1950s and still works as good as the day my grandpa bought it new. Similar to this Homak one. https://www.amazon.com/Homak-Industrial ... r=1-1&th=1

You'll never get it just right, I promise you that. Find something quick and dirty (and cheap) that works now and later on, change it up as your situation dictates.

There is a guy I used to know who had a duplicate hand tool set JUST for his truck. He looked at everything his truck needs, which is actually a relatively small set of tools, and set those tools aside in its own relatively small toolbox. Anything that truck needed, even specialty stuff like axle nuts or fuel line wrenches, he had the specific tool for that job. There's some merit to that, for sure.

As far as the buckets go.. They're not pretty, and condensation might be an issue, but you might not be too far off. They're cheap, waterproof, and can hold a bunch of stuff. Maybe find 2 gal buckets for the small stuff that I don't use much for things like the sander/sandpaper and reserve the larger buckets for the larger tools -- use gamma lids for easy access and retain their watertight abilities and easy to label. Should be large enough to hold even the socket sets. They'd stack well. If you crack one or gets old and brittle you can buy another one for $5....

... shit... you might be onto something.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
You don’t want bags.
You don’t want cases.
You don’t want boxes.

This is the way.

I have a set of basic tools always in the truck. I have a set of tools in the house garage. I have a duplicate set of higher quality tools, plus a lot more in the shop. Battery chargers in the house garage, shop, and another in the travel tool bags. Then there are the main tools like chop saw, table saw, compressor, nail guns, battery tools and corded tools etc. that get to ride along in the truck when a task isn't on the property. The last thing I want to do is to have to go get dressed to go to the shop to get a tool when it is sideways raining or snowing just for a 20 second issue.

My house tools are less expensive (Ryobi string trimmer, Husky Hand tools) than my travel tools. My travel tools match my shop tools, and are of higher quality (Makita/Dewalt/Channel Lock, Klein) than the house tools. Got a serious job in the house, out come the serious shop tools.

Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]