Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Looks like meat is back on the menu boys 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
cmica wrote:
usrifle wrote:
PMB? You are the man! I envy you being able to do that, both having the equipment and the Wood available to do that. :bow:

I never thought i would say this to another Man, but can i have some of your Wood?

Strike that, you need to be PAID for your Wood my friend, it's beautiful. :thumbsup2:

X2 :bow: :bow:

You're welcome to some. :cheers2:
Chris, you have not been by to visit in too long. Stop by.

Another nice offer...not surprised....

As far as the tension you mentioned, and it inhibiting you cutting...we had the same problem....had to dial down the size of the logs.

Brings back memories....mostly good...but I remember the soreness, too :ROFLMAO:

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:12 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jukk0u wrote:
Nice vids.

Yep, sensitivity to wood dust comes on fast... one day you're cruising along thinking... man, I love smelling this stuff as I work then BAM! Blinding headache from a mere sniff of dust.

No kidding.
Bought a TV from a buddy who recently refinished the wood in in his house (sanding).
Eyes were burning and I had a funky smell in my nose for a couple months from inhaling the wood dust emitting from that thing.

Back when I worked on PC's, I would take them outside and plug my nose when I blew the dust out with canned air.
Else you would be smelling that shit for weeks.
Read a while back that the majority of house dust is flaked off dead human skin, so that grossed me out even more.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:12 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

NWGunner wrote:
As far as the tension you mentioned, and it inhibiting you cutting...we had the same problem....had to dial down the size of the logs.

That isn't the way that my brain works. :ROFLMAO:
Mine says "Build bigger mill, so you can mill bigger logs!"
I envy the folks who are more practical and have common sense. :crybaby:

NWGunner wrote:
Brings back memories....mostly good...but I remember the soreness, too :ROFLMAO:

That's the truth. When you're between 16 and 40ish, can work from dark to dark for several days or longer, and go to sleep with a GOOD feeling sore.
It's not such a good feeling anymore.
Muscle sore = Good. Bone sore = Bad.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome and jealous!

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just an update on the truck. It's in the shop for a few days, looks like my front right hub is mostly toast, the vacuum system in both hubs is toast (it has vacuum lockers so you can put it into 4x4 from the cab), it needs brakes done, and after they rebuild the hub(s) I think it has to be aligned. However, it'll be safe to drive again shortly.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

delliottg wrote:
Just an update on the truck. It's in the shop for a few days, looks like my front right hub is mostly toast, the vacuum system in both hubs is toast (it has vacuum lockers so you can put it into 4x4 from the cab), it needs brakes done, and after they rebuild the hub(s) I think it has to be aligned. However, it'll be safe to drive again shortly.

Never seen a set of those vacuum hubs work after 40.000 miles. road salt kills them. do yourself a favor and throw a set of manual hubs in it.

Some of the trucks came with both.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaJim wrote:
delliottg wrote:

Never seen a set of those vacuum hubs work after 40.000 miles. road salt kills them. do yourself a favor and throw a set of manual hubs in it.

Some of the trucks came with both.

Yep, mine has both, but the right one had gotten so stiff that my arthritic hands couldn't turn it any more (left one, no problem). One of my machinist friends at work made me a "wrench" out of Delrin that works perfectly except it was too smooth, so he knurled it, still not enough grip, so I had him drill & tap for a bolt perpendicular to the main body. That did it. Eventually I'll turn a nice handle for the bolt to dress it up a bit, but it's currently completely functional.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are some old firs we milled. Over 4.5 feet wide and 15 feet long. Straight as an arrow.

One of the hardest parts is getting the log from the forest to the mill without beating it up. A 10,000 lb log is tough to keep blemish free with heavy equipment.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I enjoy meeting the creative folks that will take my product and turn it into a beautiful masterpiece that will be enjoyed by many people.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every piece/species of wood has its own individual beauty.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some randoms.
Maybe one of these nights Ill start a thread for log/timber/sawmill and logging stuff. I have to resize and load allot of my pics to the PC.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
RENCORP wrote:
My flattening sled for chainsaw free cut slabs from old growth long butt cedar downed in the early 1900's by hand loggers was six feet by twelve feet, all angle iron and 2x12's for the bed.

Ah, you're the only other person I've found who uses steel for the flattening sled.
I use Unistrut of course, but same idea. I placed a wooden bumper so as to not touch the router bit to it.

RENCORP wrote:
Carriage rode on aluminum wheels on 1x1 inch angle iron set point up as a self shedding track.
Chain and hand wheel for dancing end to end on the table, and a gear reduction power feed with forward and reverse for traversing the table side to side.
Vertical travel was also hand crank and lock.
Power head was a 220 volt 5 hp motor swinging a tool head that mounted 6 carbon steel blades that could be replaced in sets to keep sharp steel on the wood - each cut was 6 inches wide.

Holy Shugar. That was fancy and must have been high production. How big around was the cutter?

RENCORP wrote:
My biggest hand cut slabs were clear red cedar, 54 inches wide from a long butt that was half rotted into the forest floor.
We used a Gilchrist log jack to pry it up, and I free cut 6-8 inch slabs out of it from top to bottom.
Wish I had kept one - that stuff was dark milk chocolate in color, and you needed to use a magnifying glass to count rings, they were so tight together.

My biggest is 52".

What did people use 6" to 8" thick slabs for? I have made benches and tables 6" thick, but have only given them as gifts, not sold them.
I ask because I am completely bushed from working in the heat and smoke today, not sure that I want to put more labor into a few cants. haha

I cheated - bought the sled from an old guy who was a good machinist, and a better welder.

Cutter head was 6 inches in diameter.

The reason why I was cutting 6-8 inch thick slabs to begin with was to make sure I ended up with 4-6 inch thick slabs after running them through the flattening sled.

Also, when it came to the traditional boat builders I cut for, and yellow cedar, they wanted big dimension cants and slabs for fabricating ribs, knees, and the other architecture of a wooden hulled sea craft.

Free cutting slabs by hand with a chain saw is not an exact science. Also, by taking a slab after all the handling, moving, loading and unloading, then truing up both sides, I would be able to run the Alaska mill on the thickest ones under 32 inches wide to split them and book match them to make really wide mirror image table tops.

It was really nice to finish those up by just taking a skosh off the top from a freshly milled cut. And, you were guaranteed a pristine surface for the tops with no handling marks, gouges, etc. as long as you were careful from that point forward.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:31 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Old Growth wrote:
I enjoy meeting the creative folks that will take my product and turn it into a beautiful masterpiece that will be enjoyed by many people.

To me, the best part is opening up a rather ugly log and seeing the masterpiece inside. Like that one you showed with the blue stain fungus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_stain_fungi
Google for "Blue stain fungi" images.

The Dread Princess does the selling. I hate selling. My inclination is to give it all away. Which is ok, but then I get lots of bruises on my ass from the ongoing Dread Princess Educational Series. Sometimes she misses my ass, and those days really suck.

During the lean milling years following the 2007 banking wake-up call, I made dozens or a few hundred thick benches, tables, bar tops, conference room tables, counter tops.
It's not just the women that love thick wood.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some beautiful slabs,wish I had some talent!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Yep, sensitivity to wood dust comes on fast... one day you're cruising along thinking... man, I love smelling this stuff as I work then BAM! Blinding headache from a mere sniff of dust.

Mike gonna be a little more waiting...just a busy bee

nice pic old growth

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next