Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Looks like meat is back on the menu boys 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have been so swamped that I hadn't been able to get to one of my favorite pastimes...
Start with this:
Spoiler: show

The Log Wizard makes a heckuva mess. I need to build a debarker to take care of that task away from the mill.

This is the smallest of the logs that I bought last summer that I posted the pics of.
This is the 2nd largest of the slabs. After this one comes off, I take the pith, probably 4" thick for a work bench top.
The wax that was painted on the ends of the logs wasn't a good quality, or some other factor led to more than normal end grain splitting. This log was cut more than a foot "extra" so it didn't degrade the value.

That's right boys, Unistrut makes it's grand appearance as a straightedge.
I'm fair satisfied with the cuts.
The wider the cut the more difficult it is to keep a flat slab. I can only crank up the tension so high on a 1.25" or 1.5" blade, and if it's not right off the sharpener, it just won't hold as flat as on a more narrow board.

It really shows up in a sucky way if I find a nail or screw in the middle of a cut. Golly, that is no fun.
On the plus side, I missed a lag bolt by 1/2" in a piece of hard White Oak the other day. :thumbsup2:

Here are the 4 slabs from the top of that smallest log.
These are 3" thick, except for the widest (top in these pics) which is a bit thicker.
End up with these:

All live edge slabs, with the bark thinned way down on the side that the blade enters the log.

It's difficult to have a bad day when you have work partners like this one, but sometimes I still manage with a herculean effort.

If I wasn't completely swamped with the house and shop and splitter and tractors and the house even again, I'd put these under cover and turn them into tables, workbenches, bar tops, reloading stations etc... But no way will I get to these projects for at least a year. So far in the last week I have sold 2 full logs and 3 ~ half logs worth of slabs.

https://youtu.be/lco9Ki-5qfQ

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bacon!

That little girl is growing up fast! (I blinked and my daughter is now an adult)

What's it take to make a slab into a table? How do you dry something like that so it doesn't crack?
What's a slab go fer?

Am I altogether too nosey?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks good. How long ago was the Oak cut? I have to cut a bunch of 30"+ oak this next week. Im not looking forward to it.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are few pieces we cut last week. All redwood.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BEAUTIFUL!!

I really love me some slab!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Last edited by Pablo on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:33 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jukk0u wrote:
Bacon!

Hell yes. I went 2 full years without any income as I was working around here, so this week's shopping trip was a bit extravagant for us. Picked up 4 pounds of the thick sliced bacon.

jukk0u wrote:
That little girl is growing up fast! (I blinked and my daughter is now an adult)

No kidding... It's bittersweet, eh? As a father, you're happy that they make it to adulthood, but I don't know anyone who doesn't wish they could have more time to love them during their childhood.

jukk0u wrote:
What's it take to make a slab into a table?

During the Great Recession, this was my bread and butter for about a year before I realized that there WAS a recession. Sometimes it pays to watch the news. I hate the news.
This one is a small piece of Cedar... I like softwoods for these because as they age they "tell a story." I like dents and dings that are earned, you know?
"Those three indentations are where cousin Cora done smacked her teeth into the edge of the table."

https://youtu.be/0ArYuhOeVhU

The Wood Whisperer likes thick slabs of wood... tee hee. He does some good work.

https://youtu.be/pcIEILwU45w

This guy was a pro footballer. Not that it matters, but I thought that was interesting.
Check out the difference between the raw wood and how it looks after he applies the finish. (Rubio Monocoat. I haven't used this finish yet.)

https://youtu.be/pmMTpWmoQeA

jukk0u wrote:
How do you dry something like that so it doesn't crack?

I paint the ends with a wax sealant, then cover the stack of slabs so no rain gets in there. Normal drying time is 6 months per inch of thickness by this method...
I had plans of building a vacuum kiln about a decade ago... That was the time of the Great Recession, hah. It bit me again, as I dropped that plan. It costs about $100k to buy the size I'll be using, and about $50k and a TON of labor hours to build my own.
Maybe I'll get started on that again after the house gets finished.

jukk0u wrote:
What's a slab go fer?

Softwoods go for a lot less than the hardwoods. After they are dried they start at about $5/bdft for softwoods, and about $8-$10/bdft for the hardwoods.
These slabs have been selling at about $3/bdft by individual slab, and about $2-$2.50/bdft for 4 slabs or more.
I've given the biggest piece (pith, 4" or thicker) gratis when the buyer takes the whole log. Otherwise the pith is around $150 even though it is the biggest piece. The pith has more defect than the other pieces. That doesn't matter as much with hardwoods, but for softwoods, it won't be as nice a piece for a "show" project. They make great workbenches and reloading benches though.

This guy is higher than I have charged. I'm guessing that the larger market up there gets him some extra pay for his labor
https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mat/ ... 32712.html
You can see the prices on some of his boards and slabs I think.
Also, most of his is kiln dried.

This fellow looks a bit smaller... Snohomish area I think.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/ ... 38591.html
He has Walnut for $12-$20/bdft.

Occasionally you'll see an exceptional piece that the price is not related to the number of board feet. I've seen a nice piece of Black Walnut with 30 board feet sell for $3000. I've never sold anything like that.

jukk0u wrote:
Am I altogether too nosey?

Never.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You get to have all the fun, PMB!
MORE BALROG.....

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:59 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Old Growth wrote:
Looks good. How long ago was the Oak cut? I have to cut a bunch of 30"+ oak this next week. Im not looking forward to it.

The White Oak that I missed the lag bolt by 1/2" was cut last weekend.
30" Oak is some -work- to get through. How much of the oak do you have to cut? 1x material?
How do you sharpen your blades? Cook's Cat Claw over here. I am not a terrific fan of it, but it does sharpen nicely. Just has to be babysat.

The Redwood and Cedar are a joy to cut, eh? I have a friend who despises cutting Cedar. Says it stinks and that it dulls his blades quickly. WTF?! Smells heavenly and is easy on my blades. I have heard that it is an abrasive wood, but it doesn't seem like it to me.

Pablo wrote:
That is all oak?

I really love me some slab!!

Not mine... The pics in my post are all Douglas Fir. The White Oak that I cut was all shorter pieces, max of 4.5'. I dry it and use it for tool handles when

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:33 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Traut wrote:
You get to have all the fun, PMB!

:ROFLMAO:
If you only knew...
I don't know anyone foolish enough to want to trade schedules with me for the last few years.

Traut wrote:
MORE BALROG.....

Agree! She's the best. But I maaaaaaaaaay be biased.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The oak logs are 9' long and a couple 7 footers. All range from 30-40" wide. They were cut down about 6 months ago.

I dont use our bandsaw much except for flattening off cabin logs sometimes. All our lumber is cut on a circsaw (MobileDimension) and it eats about anything. Then all our slabs are cut on a Lucas. The lucas cuts upto 6 feet wide.

Cedar is a funny animal. I used to think it smelled good, but now Im allergic to it. I have to wear a respirator when I cut it (which is almost every day). I spent all day cutting 1x12 cedar board n batt siding today. I HATE cutting 12" cedar.
I can cut cedar for days without sharpening the teeth on the circ blade. But on the Lucas the dust is so fine it packs up under the bar.

Its hard to keep the oil temps under 235 degrees on days like today.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it normal to get a woodie when looking at pictures of wood like that?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Is it normal to get a woodie when looking at pictures of wood like that?

Not sure but I nearly stroked out. I will post a picture of my cedar slab table later

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking our center kitchen island might look good with a slab rather than granite. Is it cost efficient?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to give this thread a Solid 2.
Thread title promised meat. instead of meat there's just your giant wood.
I are disappoint.

Man, you sure have some nice wood though.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 180 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next