Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Looks like meat is back on the menu boys 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can remember my ladle gull (little girl) catching a plastic bottle of tadpoles and bringing them up to me to show off... Looking at the bottle with a thousand tadpole faces smashed up against the plastic... I took them over to the pond she had been "fishing" and dumped them back in so she could catch them again. Kind of thing that kept her busy... Your pictures bring back so many memories!

Cool oak. Can't wait to see what comes of the alder too.

I was cutting FINGER JOINTED trim today that "sproinged" like your slab. The way that stuff works is to pinch your saw blade and you can watch it curl and hear the saw blade slow and the motor struggle. Makes it tough to have pieces of the same dimension. Had to cut everybody down ANOTHER 1/8" ....

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice piece of wood, wish I had some place for something like this. no body could tell me what wood it was

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:43 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Guessing by the color and grain structure I'd say American Cherry, but I have been wrong before. Many, many times. :bigsmile:

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB, why do you suppose that board had tension in it? Feeding issue?

Balrog is cute as the dickens. Gotta love little girls who aren't afraid of getting their hands dirty!

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
PMB, why do you suppose that board had tension in it? Feeding issue?

Balrog is cute as the dickens. Gotta love little girls who aren't afraid of getting their hands dirty!

Trees don't grow in straight lines. They get a lot of water one year and less the next. They lean on slopes. They have knots and pitch pockets.
When cut parts of the tree will dry at different rates...

Lots of reasons for tension.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:31 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

The biggest cherry that I have laid hands on wasn't that big... The color looks right though, so it's possible.
It's also easy to get a cherryish stain on light woods, like Maple or a Poplar type, Cottonwood etc.

Jim's right about the stresses... The most that I am used to seeing is from trees that grow on a hillside that slumped, or trees that grew up in a decent prevailing wind.
I've always referred to that condition is "reaction wood" ... Not sure if it is correct official name.
This did not appear to be reaction wood by my usage of the word.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting Jim !
I've learned more about wood on this website than Playboy ever taught me from Dad's collection in the 1960s!

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well this is as far as I got...cut a piece (and end capped it) 35 inches long.
Waiting on an Amazon Prime Hitachi SB8V2 9.0 Amp 3x21-Inch Variable Speed Belt Sander. and sand paper!

This first project (so I may get some lessons learned I'm sure) will be a 35 x 16 x 28" high (deco metal legs) Laptop desk in a pre-identified corner in our 5th Wheel.

Spoiler: show

This is my idea map

Last edited by sportsdad60 on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice! :bigsmile:

I may need to.....borrow your wood. icon_eek

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Very nice! :bigsmile:

I may need to.....borrow your wood. icon_eek

I am not really sure how to respond to that, Pablo. I'll let Jukko carry it from here.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:45 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

sportsdad60 wrote:
This first project (so I may get some lessons learned I'm sure) will be a 35 x 16 x 28" high (deco metal legs) Laptop desk in a pre-identified corner in our 5th Wheel.

That looks like it'll be a fine looking piece. Looking forward to the finished project!

The Balrog was cracking the fiery whip at me,
something about needing to buy more cookies or something, so I have been cranking out stacks trying to get back to 3 big logs that I need for a BIG project. If the three big logs are still sound, we're a go. If the three are not sound, I expect to be banned for a good long time.

Here's a relatively plain Maple, about 16" through the middle.

Then a Red Alder with particularly nice colors, some spalting lines. I think the Princess already sold this stack.
The green garbage can is clean sawdust. Princess uses it in our blueberry patch.

A funky White Oak that I needed to check the burl patterns... More pictures of the other grain patterns from this very cool tree later. I need to sand and oil a few.

Another Red Alder. This one kind of bugs me. The end cracks are ~1' long, and I used Anchorseal. :cussing:
I have had more end splits with Anchorseal than I have had with plain latex paint, and I paid a heck of a lot more for the anchor seal. I used to buy the "Oops" paint at HD or Lowes for sealing end grain when drying, looks like I am switching back to that starting today.

A pair of Red Alder slabs. A husband and wife couple that came today went through a stack, so about 10 pieces were scattered around leaning after they finished and left. Funny thing, the wife was the woodworker. Hubby was there just to carry the wood and agree with the wife's decisions. Been there. :thumbsup2:
When I come across a good solid tree with a decent mix of features, color and size, I put away a log or two from that tree and let them season (or spalt) for about two years. It's kind of a tricky balance, as too short a time and you just wasted your log yard space, and too long a time and the log won't be good for anything except mulch.
This one came out a little bit short... I didn't get as many spalting lines as I had expected.

The color in the photo looks washed out compared to real life.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
If the three big logs are still sound, we're a go. If the three are not sound, I expect to be banned for a good long time.

Quoted... For.. Posterity.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Massivedesign wrote:
PMB wrote:
If the three big logs are still sound, we're a go. If the three are not sound, I expect to be banned for a good long time.

Quoted... For.. Posterity.

If I lose the job, at least I'll get the bonus of less time on the computer. :4couple:

I cut this Red Alder for a mantle for a customer, but it may end up being 1-2" narrower than she needed. But the colors... She was entranced. The reds are richer than in the photos. I need a better camera.
This one is too dark, not enough red shows up in photo.

This one is too light, way whiter than reality.

The crotch figure in this piece was very nice... Wish that it was about 6" larger diameter.
Crotch figure is in red, the purple is around the spalting lines.

Here is a decent write up on different types of "figure" to be found in lumber.
Types of figure in wood
I found one pic to be wrong though, at least from my use of the lingo over 30 years of milling :

In my experience, the three should be listed in this order :
Left: Plainsawn or flatsawn
Middle: True Quartersawn
Right : Modified Quartersawn (Higher yield, but less true vertical grain in the boards.)

Riftsawn is not pictured, and it is the alignment of the growth rings in diagonals when looking at the end of the board laying flat or vertical. Modified quartersawn yields riftsawn boards towards the narrower slices.

The potential bookmatching by mix and match is pretty good on this log. They are 2.5" thick.

I have been holding off on opening up this Maple. It's going to be chockablock full of burl and other figure.
When I get into something like this I spend some time looking at it and planning the series of cuts, rather than laying it on the mill and make sawdust fly.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool stuff ! How long does it take the saw to get through something that big?

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:09 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

It takes way more time to plan out the cuts than it does to cut on something like this.
With a crotch it's simple... 2 or 3 crotches, just figure out the best likely slabs.
But when you have 100 burls, 50 of them pretty big, it's a mapping job. I didn't get to it yet, might hold off for a couple of days as I get into some Walnut and Oak.

Actual cut time with a sharp blade and everything in good alignment ~ 1.5 minutes for a 10 foot cut through 24" wide log. The burls don't make much difference. I'll slow down a bit, but not much.

Good news : The Dread Princess approved my request to build a new barn next year. :bigsmile:

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next