Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Muling wood slabs from the Yucatan north: Finale 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
David ran out of steam for the day.
He's going to drop by tomorrow. Sinus will be here to offload.
I'll get wilmer's (Mat's) slabs to him Monday and jay's on Tuesday.

Thanks Mike!

Whew!

I was wondering!

I ended-up not getting in on this, but WOWSER, that sure looked like a long day for he & Rita...

Glad he was able to reassess & redress...

Rest Well, Mule Brother :thumbsup2:

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That space between the top of her socks and the bottom of her pants legs is getting longer by the minute!

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, that turned out to be a longer day than expected! I knew I was in for 6-7 hours of driving, but with bumper to bumper traffic from SeaTac all the way south of Olympia, we ended up being over an hour late getting to Mike's place and the drive turned into closer to 10 hours. Once there, the Balrog put us under her spell, the piles of wood grew larger and larger, then chow ensued. Much chocolate was had afterward which further slowed progress, but placated the balrog. Finally everything was wedged into place, strapped down tight, and we headed north, more than 1-1/2 hours behind schedule. Brian was super patient waiting for us to show up so late, but he finally got his walnut at Cabela's in Lacey. My eyes were already droopy, and even with Mike & his friend doing the lion's share of the loading, I was out of gas. Begged off meeting up with Jim until tomorrow morning, but we'll get all of your stuff unloaded then. Sorry we couldn't meet our schedule, but both Rita & I had a great time meeting Mike & his family, and look forward to the next time we can visit.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

delliottg wrote:
Well, that turned out to be a longer day than expected! I knew I was in for 6-7 hours of driving, but with bumper to bumper traffic from SeaTac all the way south of Olympia, we ended up being over an hour late getting to Mike's place and the drive turned into closer to 10 hours. Once there, the Balrog put us under her spell, the piles of wood grew larger and larger, then chow ensued. Much chocolate was had afterward which further slowed progress, but placated the balrog. Finally everything was wedged into place, strapped down tight, and we headed north, more than 1-1/2 hours behind schedule. Brian was super patient waiting for us to show up so late, but he finally got his walnut at Cabela's in Lacey. My eyes were already droopy, and even with Mike & his friend doing the lion's share of the loading, I was out of gas. Begged off meeting up with Jim until tomorrow morning, but we'll get all of your stuff unloaded then. Sorry we couldn't meet our schedule, but both Rita & I had a great time meeting Mike & his family, and look forward to the next time we can visit.

Thank you for all your effort muling the wood David! I'll see you tomorrow at Jim's place.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you David! And thank you Mike! I'm sitting here staring at my wood with a smile on my face this morning. icon_eek
Serious, what a great guy David and his wife are to meet in person.
THank you once again.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're quite welcome and we appreciated the gracious offer of a place to stay the night. I guess the fatigue I was feeling must have been evident on my face. It was nearly 10pm when we got home, the poor hound thought his throat had been cut and wolfed down his dinner. I had a snort of bourbon and barely remember going to bed. Feeling a bit achy this morning, but looking forward to getting the stack unloaded at Jim's place in a few hours.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:03 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I think only 3 (maybe 4) of the slabs were fully green. Those were Douglas Fir live-edged on both sides.
The bookmatched Douglas Fir are over halfway through drying.
All the Cedar, Ash and Black Walnut are very dry, but if being used for interior furniture they could be "finished" by sanding them and placing them inside a conditioned part of your house for a week. The thicker slabs that are already air dried could use a week or 2 per inch to acclimatize to the dryness desired for interior furniture.

For the big live-edged Douglas Fir slabs, here are a couple of search ideas:
YouTube : DIY Slab Dehumidifier

There are several good videos and dozens of ok videos on building simple slab dehumidifier.

Foam panels:
Spoiler: show
https://youtu.be/cK3dIyVVm4M

Here's one without even an enclosure:
Spoiler: show
https://youtu.be/LT0EzTH-ryQ

Just google or search on YouTube University for some combination of DIY Slab dehumidifier or drying. Rigid foam too.

The slabs came from straight trunks and were left to settle for long enough that there should not be much, if any, warping.
Except Jim's piece of Ash. That's a twisted piece of Ash right there. :bigsmile:

Any warping that does show up should be an easy job for one of the Router Planer ideas that we talked about in the other thread.
Router Planer

Now for projects :
https://www.pinterest.com/ Search for Wood Slab Projects and about 1 billion will pop up.
Wood Slab Ideas works good too.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:41 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
The bookmatched Douglas Fir are over halfway through drying.

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

PMB wrote:
Now for projects :
https://www.pinterest.com/ Search for Wood Slab Projects and about 1 billion will pop up.
Wood Slab Ideas works good too.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got my slabs!! (2 slab bonus) I got ideas. Stand back!!

Wow. Thank you VERY MUCH!!! :bow: :wagwoot: :thumbsup2:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:27 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

A follow up on a decent(er) video showing the use of epoxy on slabs for tables, shelves, countertops etc.

This fellow does a good job of showing the details of a few things that you should do, and a couple of things that are just plain wrong... :doh1: I don't want to pick on his errors though... He ends up with a nicely finished slab despite the errors.

https://youtu.be/HOeRtajl0b0

The best difference between this and the other videos that I've posted is his use of the card scraping method. Card scrapers are under-utilized for what they can do.

1. Cut the slab roughly to size before you router-plane it.
2. Do choose your top and bottom, and pour epoxy into the bottom first. (Unless the voids in the bottom are to be left open.
3. Spend the time to calculate how much epoxy to mix. He wasted a LOT, for no good reason.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Casey stopped by this morning to pick up his & Dana's wood, so that concludes my part of the process.

Thanks to Mike for being so generous with the slabs, thanks to everyone who showed up to help unload (I guess me excepted since I bailed on the first night's unloading) or pick up their slabs, thanks to other folks for continuing the mule-age (that's a word), and thanks to the folks who contributed toward the fuel fund.

All and all, I think it went pretty well, other than the more-than-expected-traffic on the way down and subsequent delays.

Once you guys start building stuff, please start a new thread so we can see what becomes of Slab Quest 2018.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yep, a big thanks to Mike and David!

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi... this is David's wife, Rita. I wanted to drop in to thank Mike, Nikki and The Balrog for a lovely afternoon at their place. The Balrog is amazing and simply adorable with a bright and engaging personality! She makes your heart melt and I left wishing we had a daughter of our own.

Cheers!
Rita Ho

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a sweet heart!

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

It seems clear to me that Priya and Rita got along quite well. :bigsmile:

Those are some beautiful pics of some beautiful ladies. :thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next