Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Propane torch tip question 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I'm doing some fine heat work and need to use a mini-torch instead of a big blaster turned on low.
Here's the unit. I haven't used it in probably 10 years, and now nothing else in my tool arsenal will do.

The tip(s) that are missing are necessary to maintain a flame. The torch has air induction holes before where the tip screws on, but no can hold the flame.

Does anyone know where to find and which Bernzomatic or similar tips will fit this sweet little number?

Some pertinent numbers, maybe. My Google-Fu is very weak. I cannot find this torch nor replacement tips.
ST900 is probably the best number. The closest that I can Google up is ST500, which is not the same style tip.

Spoiler: show

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just the tip

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can't find pieces then here is a whole new one:
Rick's Super Duper Long Link to a Butane Torch

Mod Edit : :bigsmile:

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:58 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Just the tip... :-D

Rick, that is butane. The ST900 is propane, and I have an adapter to use 20 pound bottles. Shop work.

If I can't find just the tip I'm going to read up on the design and try to hammer one out of some Romex with a claw hammer. J/k
But I will try to figure out the design and make a tip. Prefer to buy right now.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

picky, picky...
:popcorn:

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:10 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I sorry Rick. I no try to be picky. :crybaby:

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PW45 wrote:
just the tip

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you might be SOL on this one, doesn't look like anyone is making the replacement tips for this model, google only produced 4 pages on "bernzomatic ST900", mostly old threads or listings that have expired 10 years ago

this here looks like a "last one"
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BernzOmatic-Lightweight-Mini-Torch-Model-ST900/113213148806?epid=9004443617&hash=item1a5c078e86:g:DqYAAOSwjexbe1--
only 1 pic of the front of the package, but, it says "interchangeable burntips"... not sure if this thing has other tips in the back/inside of the package

also found this:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?s=794c3d163dd580498a612a0cefe0d17b&p=29170346&postcount=484
Quote:
Here is a mod for the people who have not thrown out their ST900D Mini Torch.
Since the torch and replacement tips are no longer available, I present a mod for using the Radio Shack soldering tips. This is accomplished by sacrificing the hot blower tip, that came with the torch. Although the Radio shack tip is made for Butane, it works well for this mod.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

movingviolation wrote:
you might be SOL on this one, doesn't look like anyone is making the replacement tips for this model, google only produced 4 pages on "bernzomatic ST900", mostly old threads or listings that have expired 10 years ago

Such a nice little torch. I had barely used it. :crybaby:

movingviolation wrote:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?s=794c3d163dd580498a612a0cefe0d17b&p=29170346&postcount=484
Quote:
Here is a mod for the people who have not thrown out their ST900D Mini Torch.
Since the torch and replacement tips are no longer available, I present a mod for using the Radio Shack soldering tips.

:bow: Thank you sir. I probably shouldn't be holding my breath for the response from Bernzomatic's customer service department.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benerz customer service dept might have to learn english before getting back to you?

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike, I've got this torch that will fit a bulk tank. You can get a reasonably fine tip by fiddling with the pressure adjustments at the tank, regulator and torch wand. I'll try to attach some pics. The flame is hard to see in the one with the quarter, shown for reference. If you think it is something you can use, maybe I can send it down with delloitg this week end and pick it up later. Let me know if you think it will work. I also think you could make a slip on tip to get a custom flame pattern.

Attachment:
resize.jpg

Attachment:
resize2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:43 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Traut wrote:
Mike, I've got this torch that will fit a bulk tank. You can get a reasonably fine tip by fiddling with the pressure adjustments at the tank, regulator and torch wand. I'll try to attach some pics. The flame is hard to see in the one with the quarter, shown for reference. If you think it is something you can use, maybe I can send it down with delloitg this week end and pick it up later. Let me know if you think it will work. I also think you could make a slip on tip to get a custom flame pattern.

:bow: I am very grateful for the offer Mr Traut. I pulled out a small oxy-acetylene tip and did the urgent job, but I sure hope that won't interfere with the now planned visit to pick it up later. :bigsmile:
:cheers2:

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:52 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I guess that Bernzomatic operates a bit differently than Hypertherm.
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Bernzomatic.

The ST900 was discontinued back in 2008 so we no longer have replacement parts for that torch.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]