Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 OG Woods/Logging 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of stuff I run.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hands down best thread I have found on this forum. Grew up around old loggers in snoqualmie valley grandpa was one of them my dad and uncle followed in his steps and they have taught my brothers, some friends an I many of those old school ways. My dad still has a logging and tree service company I work for on weekends I love it. Anyone interested in this type of stuff if passing through hoquiam stop by the polson museum. I spent many hours wandering that house and property imagining the hard sob's that logged this land. Steam donkeys, tracked log trucks, old dozers, drag saws, old mac's, axes, crosscut saws, blocks, model logging operations with the whole town and logging camp on the rail road, shake mills, shake splitters, fros, conveyor chains, handsaws, old riggin, climbing gear, the list is endless telling a long story of our former logging capitol of the world. An absolute fantastic way to spend the day! I worked out there cleaning up property's for a while and we came across many a old forgotten axes stuff into corners, my coworker took home maybe 25 of them old plumb, puget,winchester, collins, and kellys

Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norman89 wrote:
Hands down best thread I have found on this forum. Grew up around old loggers in snoqualmie valley grandpa was one of them my dad and uncle followed in his steps and they have taught my brothers, some friends an I many of those old school ways. My dad still has a logging and tree service company I work for on weekends I love it. Anyone interested in this type of stuff if passing through hoquiam stop by the polson museum. I spent many hours wandering that house and property imagining the hard sob's that logged this land. Steam donkeys, tracked log trucks, old dozers, drag saws, old mac's, axes, crosscut saws, blocks, model logging operations with the whole town and logging camp on the rail road, shake mills, shake splitters, fros, conveyor chains, handsaws, old riggin, climbing gear, the list is endless telling a long story of our former logging capitol of the world. An absolute fantastic way to spend the day! I worked out there cleaning up property's for a while and we came across many a old forgotten axes stuff into corners, my coworker took home maybe 25 of them old plumb, puget,winchester, collins, and kellys

Thanks! My grandpa and uncles were loggers. My great grandpa was a logger for the Mutual log camp up in the skookumchuck watershed that fed the mill in Bucoda that was operated with labor from prisoners from the territorial prison that is one of the oldest jails that predates Washington. I have one of his log scaling pocket books from 1923 that still has his notes in it.

Now on the subject of the Polsons, I have some neat Polson items. I collect Kinsey photos and old logging related paperwork/historical kinda stuff.
I have a couple Kinsey photos of Polson Rolling stock and donkeys. The first is a shot with twelve Polson locomotives. A couple heavy haulers in the lead and the rest are Shay/willamette all wheel drive lokies that would run the steep curvy spur lines.
The next is a shot of twelve Polson steam donkey yarder engines.
Imagine what these 24 pieces of equipment would have cost over 100 years ago!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Jeez, Brad. You've got some cool stuff. thumbsup

Thanks Steve!

Some neat maple we diced up.

Holy crap that stuff is beautiful,now I really want to get my big maples that fell down cut to manageable lengths get an excavator up in my field and get them down.

Albert Einstein

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Norman89 wrote:

Thanks! My grandpa and uncles were loggers. My great grandpa was a logger for the Mutual log camp up in the skookumchuck watershed that fed the mill in Bucoda that was operated with labor from prisoners from the territorial prison that is one of the oldest jails that predates Washington. I have one of his log scaling pocket books from 1923 that still has his notes in it.

Now on the subject of the Polsons, I have some neat Polson items. I collect Kinsey photos and old logging related paperwork/historical kinda stuff.
I have a couple Kinsey photos of Polson Rolling stock and donkeys. The first is a shot with twelve Polson locomotives. A couple heavy haulers in the lead and the rest are Shay/willamette all wheel drive lokies that would run the steep curvy spur lines.

I live about 15 minutes away from the skook dam he probably walked around behind my house! Back in the day of course

Albert Einstein

Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago I got a whole bunch of paperwork, books, records etc from the estate of Senator William Bishop. Aside from being a very well liked and fair/respected politician he was an owner of many businesses in the Port Townsend/Chimicum/Olympic Pen area From the mid 1800s to the early 1900s. His father was one of the first settlers in that area and founded Chimicum.

One of those businesses was Bishop and Hall logging which he partnered with Scott Hall.

Here is an invitation to Alex Polson’s 80th birthday to Mr Bishop. I have hundreds of pieces of mail addressed to “mr Bishop” “senator” etc, but this is the only one I have addressed to “Billie”, so I’m going to assume they were good friends.

Also notice the address, just a name and town!

Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RadioSquatch wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
Norman89 wrote:

I live about 15 minutes away from the skook dam he probably walked around behind my house! Back in the day of course

The camp he worked at, its last location that I can track down is up at the end of Thompson creek rd then at the old Y/rail interchange there is a spur that heads east towards the present location of the reservoir. There is a gal that still lives way out there off grid and she took me to where the old caboose was abandoned years ago. It’s long gone and she said it was about ruined when she was a kid long ago. I scoured the area one weekend and found remnants of the old foundations and rotting timbers, some old rig/truck and junk/garbage dump way out there.
He spent a good portion of his life living in the town of Tono, a coal mining town only a few miles from the camp. Tono is now a ghost town submerged in the bottom of one of TransAlta’s reservoirs for the steam plant. Only two foundations are visible a above the waterline. Tono used to supply the logging locomotives with coal.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
RadioSquatch wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
Norman89 wrote:

The camp he worked at, its last location that I can track down is up at the end of Thompson creek rd then at the old Y/rail interchange there is a spur that heads east towards the present location of the reservoir. There is a gal that still lives way out there off grid and she took me to where the old caboose was abandoned years ago. It’s long gone and she said it was about ruined when she was a kid long ago. I scoured the area one weekend and found remnants of the old foundations and rotting timbers, some old rig/truck and junk/garbage dump way out there.
He spent a good portion of his life living in the town of Tono, a coal mining town only a few miles from the camp. Tono is now a ghost town submerged in the bottom of one of TransAlta’s reservoirs for the steam plant. Only two foundations are visible a above the waterline. Tono used to supply the logging locomotives with coal.

Cool I bet there’s tons of old bottles at that junk dump. I’ve been out to what’s left of Tono, I live over towards McIntosh lake

Albert Einstein

Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a nice lake view timber frame outdoor kitchen/patio cover that we milled all the materials for.
It’s 24’x30’ and all Doug fir. 6x6 posts, 6x12 timbers, 2x6 rafters, 1x6 roof decking, all full dimension.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Years ago I got a whole bunch of paperwork, books, records etc from the estate of Senator William Bishop. Aside from being a very well liked and fair/respected politician he was an owner of many businesses in the Port Townsend/Chimicum/Olympic Pen area From the mid 1800s to the early 1900s. His father was one of the first settlers in that area and founded Chimicum.

One of those businesses was Bishop and Hall logging which he partnered with Scott Hall.

Here is an invitation to Alex Polson’s 80th birthday to Mr Bishop. I have hundreds of pieces of mail addressed to “mr Bishop” “senator” etc, but this is the only one I have addressed to “Billie”, so I’m going to assume they were good friends.

Also notice the address, just a name and town!

Born and raised in Port Townsend, and a distant relative of the Bishop clan.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of the old vintage primers I have. Back in the day when they came in wooden trays.

Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you thought those primers were worth money before... Bet you could retire on them now :ROFLMAO: but seriously those are so stinking cool!

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old growth, In your hunt for old logging stuff, If you ever come across a Skookum name plate off a old yarder or mobile spar I have been looking for one for some time now and would buy one from you.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

paguy wrote:
Old growth, In your hunt for old logging stuff, If you ever come across a Skookum name plate off a old yarder or mobile spar I have been looking for one for some time now and would buy one from you.

The unfortunate part is, stuff like that comes here and then it never leaves! Lol!

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next