It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:12 am


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Options for sealing trailer deck?? 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Graham
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011
Posts: 1682
16' car trailer, let my buddy borrow it n fu*ked it up, before I put the new deck on what are some good options to seal and protect the boards?

_________________
I smell blood in the water................


Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:00 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Sat May 4, 2013
Posts: 4658
Pretty hard to beat a spray on bed liner material. Protects and gives good wet traction


Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:51 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 3087
Put good heavy duty green Doug Fir on it.

DO NOT use pressure treated wood for decking. It will rust out your trailer.

Green DF or cotton wood make the best trailer decking.

If you use hardware store kiln dried wood it will suck up the mold/mildew and rot.

Most sealers will kill wood also. If it seals water/gunk OUT, then it also seals water/gunk IN.
The wood needs to BREATH to last. Space the boards and OIL it with a PRESERVATIVE, not a SEALER.

Think about the 100 year old barns you see with old board n batt siding = green doug fir.


Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:10 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 3087
PS, I mill TONS of trailer decking.

Doing two next week. ;)


Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:12 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14606
Real Name: John
Old Growth wrote:
Put good heavy duty green Doug Fir on it.

DO NOT use pressure treated wood for decking. It will rust out your trailer.

Green DF or cotton wood make the best trailer decking.

If you use hardware store kiln dried wood it will suck up the mold/mildew and rot.

Most sealers will kill wood also. If it seals water/gunk OUT, then it also seals water/gunk IN.
The wood needs to BREATH to last. Space the boards and OIL it with a PRESERVATIVE, not a SEALER.

Think about the 100 year old barns you see with old board n batt siding = green doug fir.


Cotton Wood?? For Trailer decking? I'll take your word for it, but i never heard of Cotton Wood being good for much of anything.

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:32 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 3087
usrifle wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
Put good heavy duty green Doug Fir on it.

DO NOT use pressure treated wood for decking. It will rust out your trailer.

Green DF or cotton wood make the best trailer decking.

If you use hardware store kiln dried wood it will suck up the mold/mildew and rot.

Most sealers will kill wood also. If it seals water/gunk OUT, then it also seals water/gunk IN.
The wood needs to BREATH to last. Space the boards and OIL it with a PRESERVATIVE, not a SEALER.

Think about the 100 year old barns you see with old board n batt siding = green doug fir.


Cotton Wood?? For Trailer decking? I'll take your word for it, but i never heard of Cotton Wood being good for much of anything.


I cut a fair amount of it for decking and dumptruck sideboards.

Its not a bad wood. Firewood guys give it a bad name. In lumber form it is pretty strong and lasts much longer outside than people think.
Its real light when dry and strong for decking. Its kinda soft so track machines grip it and then after it rains the dents swell back out of it.

As a side board it will flex further than DF. This is handy when your loader operator is an old guy with no depth perception. He wont hit your boards with the bucket, but he will curl the bucket into them when he dumps the load and flex them sideways.

My buddy calls cottonwood "high mountain ash". "Ya know, cuz it leaves a high mountain of ash in yer stove". :bigsmile:


Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:53 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 3087
usrifle wrote:
Cotton Wood?? For Trailer decking? I'll take your word for it, but i never heard of Cotton Wood being good for much of anything.


Quote:
Cottonwood has been used for many things through the years including; shelving, framing, paneling, sub floors, crates, pallets, lowboy decks, saddles, and caskets.


From here,,

https://farwestforest.com/does-cottonwo ... od-lumber/


Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:58 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14606
Real Name: John
Well shit, i been learned about Cotton Wood. :bow:

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:07 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 3087
usrifle wrote:
Well shit, i been learned about Cotton Wood. :bow:


This is another decent read up on it.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.p ... c=105209.0

Its used allot in the furniture industry for drawers and structure where it is substituted in place of an expensive wood in unseen parts.

My father has been using a bunch lately building post wraps in his house. His staircase is all very fancy red alder banisters and trim and he has found with the right stain, he can make the cottonwood trim match the alders color.

It takes stain very well.


Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:13 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Port Orchard
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012
Posts: 685
Real Name: Josh
Old Growth wrote:

Most sealers will kill wood also. If it seals water/gunk OUT, then it also seals water/gunk IN.
The wood needs to BREATH to last. Space the boards and OIL it with a PRESERVATIVE, not a SEALER.


Is there a preservative that you recommend?


Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:03 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 7777
Most of the flatbed guys that redeck a trailer use red or white oak, or a mix of the two depending on where they're getting it. It's a big job to do a full 53' trailer, general consensus seems to be to buy a new trailer

Apitong is another option. More expensive

https://www.trailerdecking.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOceumQZOsiMYjzbdmj8d4lmusyavPwGUzyXu4ZU_Evw34tBwFMdaEcaAtnkEALw_wcB

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:16 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 3087
RocketScott wrote:
Most of the flatbed guys that redeck a trailer use red or white oak, or a mix of the two depending on where they're getting it. It's a big job to do a full 53' trailer, general consensus seems to be to buy a new trailer

Apitong is another option. More expensive

https://www.trailerdecking.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOceumQZOsiMYjzbdmj8d4lmusyavPwGUzyXu4ZU_Evw34tBwFMdaEcaAtnkEALw_wcB


Red oak is big money here on the coast.

The white oak we have here is a protected species and makes bad lumber anyways.

Decking from the guys in that link would cost a guy over $1000 to do a 16’ car trailer with their cheaper stuff. It would also add over 500lbs of weight.
The average car trailer costs about 200-300$ to do in HD Doug fir 1.75” thick.

Remember the box stores are selling HEMFIR which is hemlock, garbage for outside use and it’s priced higher than DF was at this time last year.
Lumber prices have risen by 20-40% this year everywhere but here! :wink05:


Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:53 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Nisqually Valley
Joined: Wed Oct 5, 2016
Posts: 3087
mtnwkr wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Most sealers will kill wood also. If it seals water/gunk OUT, then it also seals water/gunk IN.
The wood needs to BREATH to last. Space the boards and OIL it with a PRESERVATIVE, not a SEALER.


Is there a preservative that you recommend?


Any oil based or one of those wood preservative type.

Honestly my trailer has nothing on it but the oil and hydraulic fluid that gets spilled on it,


Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:56 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Sat May 4, 2013
Posts: 4658
I bought a fair amount of lumber from Old Growth. It was very good stuff


Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:21 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Auburn West Hill
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011
Posts: 12298
Real Name: Casey
I learnt something new today.....time to call it quits

_________________
Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.


See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/


Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.731s | 18 Queries | GZIP : Off ]