Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sharpening stones 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im looking for a new sharpening stone. I bought this Smith's at Cabelas a few months back. Its ok but I've had better. Im looking for a top of the line bad ass one. What do you use?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smiths diamond rod that I bought at Wal Hell for about $6. Works like a charm to bring the edge back on My F/A Covert folder...Cheap, but works great. Also a snap to get the serrated part sharpened in a jiff....

NRA Life Member-Since 1983
Life Member-North American Hunting Club
Life Member-National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
Founder-Crusaders Motorcycle Ministries

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the same one well I use it when I am in the field I use a belt sander from harbor freight with a butt load of different sand paper from 80 grit- leather belt works like a champ.

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:29 pm
Profile YIM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dang. I got this thread wrong. I thought we were gonna discuss how to sharpen stones. As in ancient technology type stuff.

Anyhow, I have a cheap kit that I got from Wal-Mart as well. I don't even know who makes it. Had it for years. I have the regular whetstone and also the honing block. Works great. Wish I had more info on it for you. Good luck.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out DMT Duosharp.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys. Ill check those ones out. Iv always wanted to learn how to use those leather sharpening straps but i wasn't sure if it was for only thin blades, like razor knives. Iv got my hunting and butchering blades i need to get back in shape.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use this for large jobs from bench planes to butcher knives.

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-W8CX-WB-8-Inch-DuoSharp-Extra-Coarse/dp/B001DZRKH2

I use this for small jobs and edge cleanup.

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-DCS4-COARSE-Diamond-Sharpening/dp/B00009YV6L

Better prices could probably be found.

I have other real stones that I use, but the above get the most use, such that I could probably do without the others.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Leather strops are for convexed edges. I use them for a few blades I have converted to convex. Here is a kit and some good vids on it. http://www.knivesshipfree.com/pages/Sharpening-Videos

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lansky Sharpening System with the diamond stones. I haven't found an easier to use, more accurate, longer lasting, better performing system.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlockLife Industries wrote:
Thanks guys. Ill check those ones out. Iv always wanted to learn how to use those leather sharpening straps but i wasn't sure if it was for only thin blades, like razor knives. Iv got my hunting and butchering blades i need to get back in shape.

Bring them bad boys over here I will sharpen them for you.. i have also a angle stone kit for the life of me I could not figure out how to get a great edge on my blades. I went to the belt sander method and it cost me less than 100 bucks for everything. works like a champ just home use no good if out in the brush skinning 1/4ing an animal and it goes dull. I sharpened all my kitchen knifes and have not needed to touch up yet.

I use this method because I lent my filet knife out last year on the river and the jackass gave it back looking like he was gnawing on the blade.

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:24 pm
Profile YIM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya thats just it, im looking for something i can use in the brush. I have a small butchering kit. Small skinner, larger skinner with the gut hook and then the small hatchet. Ill post a pic of it when i get home. I of course also wouldn't mind finding a new kit to use. Iv had this one for years.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlockLife Industries wrote:
Ya thats just it, im looking for something i can use in the brush. I have a small butchering kit. Small skinner, larger skinner with the gut hook and then the small hatchet. Ill post a pic of it when i get home. I of course also wouldn't mind finding a new kit to use. Iv had this one for years.

My second link above is small enough to fit in a pack and works great for touch up in the field and for home use.

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-DCS4-COARS ... B00009YV6L

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 am

I just use a diamond hone in the field, always have one in my pack but on several of my custom knives. I just had the maker include a hone loop on the knife sheath/pouch.

Gene Ingram does the hone loop and hone.

Charlie May also will do the hone loop and hone upon request. Like on the center "May" sheath/pouch bellow.

Found one I just recently received, I had OLT Custom knives do a hone loop and hone on this GP8 in A2.

Last edited by Biggerhammer on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

icon_eek :bow:

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i do not sharpen in the brush I have my kids also carry Knives to use. plush I pretty much suck with a stone. I have a few Knifes I take with me I need to get a saw as I don't have the normal group of guys to help me just my kids. so packing it out is going to suck also.

I need to get a hunting party together haha

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:41 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next