Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 The WeenieWagun... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Did you forget who you're talking to? :wink05:

I know exactly who I'm talking to and know that at least ONE of us has a degree in Electronics. A real one from an actual college.

Have also worked with 12 V power systems for decades as a part of my career AND pastime. I actually live off grid in my travel trailer for weeks at a time, relying on my batteries, solar panels, and as a last resort, my generator.

Enjoy you project.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
TW - how does someone, say, make contact with you? I have at least one thing for your project. Not charity, just the guys, you know we always have extra tools and stuff. Maybe shipping address?

Shoot me a pm?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:
That's an old military shop van, isn't it?

Those are sturdy and well built. They do have ONE problem, though---

I don't know if you've done any upgrading with the electricals, but the problem I always ran into was that they had a tendency to pass stray voltage...meaning, if you grabbed the rails to get into the van, you'd do the herky-jerky for a second or so.

Make sure that thing is well grounded.

The existing 120/240 is getting gutted. It's gonna be 12/24 'only'. With maybe 1 or 2 outlets for 110.. 110 is inefficient because of inverters. The breaker panel has already been removed along with most of the wiring.

I do have a ground rod for it... I heard stories of these rigs in Kuwait and Iraq shocking the shit out of people due to static electricity... Hah

This is an M934, which was mostly used for electronics repair /calibration.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Did you forget who you're talking to? :wink05:

I know exactly who I'm talking to and know that at least ONE of us has a degree in Electronics. A real one from an actual college.

Have also worked with 12 V power systems for decades as a part of my career AND pastime. I actually live off grid in my travel trailer for weeks at a time, relying on my batteries, solar panels, and as a last resort, my generator.

Enjoy you project.

If it makes you feel better, I have a 1500A 3 position battery switch... I currently have it on just the front batt. I'll be hooking it up to the rear system as well so I can choose to charge the rear bank while driving or in worst case scenario jump the front bank from the rear to start the truck... I know deep cycles don't like large draws, but I should be OK if I up the bank size... $800 in GC2s should get me 450Ah+ @24v

As far as my usage. Lighting, and charging phones/laptop. I estimated about 100wh/day..with LEDs consuming almost no power, the DC—>DC converter for phone and laptop will be 90‰ of my power usage.

Being that solar is only about 20‰ efficient in the winter in this area, even a 1kw system can only be expected to put out 200w... But with low usage, not an issue. Once I add more battery I may add a portable induction burner, as they're super efficient and do not put moisture in the air like propane does.

EDIT: fat fingering phone keyboard typos.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Last edited by TechnoWeenie on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm starting to think about storage... And I have a lot of vertical space, so I'm thinking of storing canned goods in PVC pipes, with cutout at the bottom for retrieval..

Thoughts?

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I'm starting to think about storage... And I have a lot of vertical space, so I'm thinking of storing canned goods in PVC pipes, with cutout at the bottom for retrieval..

Thoughts?

All right . . . now you're just doing projects for the sake of doing projects. :ROFLMAO:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Thoughts?

All right . . . now you're just doing projects for the sake of doing projects. :ROFLMAO:

Well, the wall has windows, and only about 12" of space between those windows, so putting up shelving or cabinets isn't gonna happen....

I can't think of an easier way to manage large amounts of cans and keep them organized... The second you take one can out of a box they bang around...

I was thinking about milk crates, but that just seemed... meh... I plan on having a storage chest or 3, but would rather have things easily accessible.

You gotta keep in mind, it's a moving house, I can't just leave stuff on a table or hope the doors of a pantry stay closed... PVC keeps it organized, and in one place, and uses the available unused vertical space.

I'm all ears for suggestions, I've already been given an amazing one that I didn't think of because I was overthinking it.

My meal plan is basic..I could eat pretty healthy...

Oatmeal/fruit/granola for breakfast

10 min meal for dinner.... rice, corn, beans,chicken and some tapatillo and maybe some cheese powder tossed in for extra flavor.... Lots of options without a ton of salt..

Vacuum resealable jars with hand pump for pasta, dry milk, rice, etc.

Low/no sodium canned goods (chicken, veggies, beans,etc)

I'm trying to think of a good way of organizing things and making sure everything has a home that's readily accessible.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Side note: body heat does amazing at warming things up, like chili... No cooking required...

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TMI on the chili.

Good idea about the cans and pipes. How you plan on keeping the cans from coming out the pipes while you are driving? Some kind of sliding cover?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Side note: body heat does amazing at warming things up, like chili... No cooking required...

Damn....nobody should have to Hug their dinner to warm it up. icon_eek

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
TMI on the chili.

Good idea about the cans and pipes. How you plan on keeping the cans from coming out the pipes while you are driving? Some kind of sliding cover?

I'm thinking flex cord wrapped around it. The pressure of the cans on top of it will also wanna make it not go anywhere.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Damn....nobody should have to Hug their dinner to warm it up. icon_eek

I have a single burner propane......stove(?)

It works quite well, just thought I'd add that nugget for those in a pinch. Toss a can in your pocket for a couple mins and it will get it to almost 100 degrees.

Things like chili congeal when much below room temp... And taste like shit.. So, when it's 40*, just warm it up a bit by tossing it in a pocket.

It's not as bad as you're making it out to be, it's practical.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
I've seen the tube thing done before. One caveat is unless you drill little holes in it, like a magazine, or are really, really, good at record keeping, it's hard to always remember how much of what you have until you're down to a can or two left. Not always a bad thing, but building an RV like this opposed to just rockin' a class C, and knowing a little about your personality, I'd think you'd like to have a good handle on your stockpile of inventory just at a glance.

I've seen this method utilized a lot in backcountry RVs and "expeditionary" rigs. Works well, can be morphed into whatever you'd like based on construction style and space utilization.

Also don't underestimate the non-slip tool box drawer liners for holding rather heavy things in place. I've driven thousands upon thousands of miles pulling large TTs and driving class A/B/C motorhomes with things like KitchenAid mixers held in only by their own gravity, some non-slip liner, and those cheap little metal hooks you can buy @ a craft store.

I like that design.

I'd have to see if someone makes it inexpensively.. PVC just requires glue and a hand saw... Wood requires a little more.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next