Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 73  Next
 What did you DIY today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well it was fri, got fed up with shop not sending out a "basket" legs to lift things a few feet more than the jack goes and new wheels.

meet Jack :bigsmile:

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
well it was fri, got fed up with shop not sending out a "basket" legs to lift things a few feet more than the jack goes and new wheels.

meet Jack :bigsmile:

Dude!

Start your own thread for that one. Show us the build! You DID take pics, didn't you?

Now you need to buy a cheapo harbor freight welder, and teach yourself to weld!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nope just the finish

basically struat struat nuts 90' angle bolts nuts and washers. no welder on the job, if there was I'd have gone that route and alot quicker to get it done. next job its following me. Shop mention 6months out for new shit psshh 1hr of their time.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About 80% complete on a whole wall of built ins in my dining room with butcher block countertops and live edge shelving. Have been taking some pics, plan on posting a thread later, when complete. Just forgot the before pic.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doing some sewing today.

A new "holster" for the fanny pack.

Just trying out a new idea. Need to make a quick job of it just to see if it is going to work. Likewise to see if there are going to be any problems with it.

Sewing through some thick plastic. (Piece of a cutting board.)

Not so thick a needle can't be pushed through it. But thick enough to push back, and put the other end of that needle through your finger instead...

Needed a thimble of some sort.

First cut off a piece of eye drop bottle. Put some duct tape on that.

Fit pretty good. But because of the shape of the bottle, it was pretty difficult to manipulate the needle.

Finally just put several layers of duct tape on the finger. Yup. That works.

I'll do it a little differently next time. Taping a piece of plastic in the right place, and then covering that with more duct tape. But it does work, the way it is, and doesn't waste a bunch of my time fiddling with it.

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:46 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Took 1500 pounds of pruning from 19 fruit trees.

Disassembled a chain sheave assembly from my most useful forklift, so I feel like I am almost dead in the water and drifting towards a waterfall.

Attachment:
Toyota Chain Sheave Bearing.jpg

Set up for a monster bonfire, had to hold off because the rains didn't come as expected today. Hose is laced out and ready for tomorrow.

Took measurements and designed what I hope will be drive over fenders for a trailer. I've never built fenders, so probably going to mess it up by overbuilding it. :crybaby:

Threw a complete hissy fit in the gun room and stripped off an entire shelf, the work bench and some other furniture. I was genuinely raging. I hate clutter with a passion and have been immersed in it for too long.
The rage had more to do with waiting until 1 April and nice weather to reach the breaking point, so I wasted good weather inside for a few hours. Gah

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:40 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I was dropping off a piece of equipment at a business yesterday morning and after I was unloaded, turned the key and nothing... No crank. Tried many times, jiggled the switch, pressed hard, clutch to floor for the interlock switch. No crank.
Checked all the fuses that could cause a no crank (there are 3) and the starter relay... All working.
I'm blocking a business at a busy time of day. :thumbsup2: The equipment was unloaded from my trailer in a way that required me to unhook the trailer from the pickup, so that was kind of helpful... Asked the forklift driver if he could give me a push start. Kind of embarrassing, but he's a super nice gentleman and I was on my way in 2 minutes.
Got it home, turned it off and tried it again - No crank. Several tries.

6.5L turbo diesel in a 1997 C35.
After retracing the start circuit path through and under the dash, two fuse panels and under the hood, I am down to the start solenoid. Easiest to get to the wiring and hanger hardware behind the front wheel...

Attachment:
IMG_20190403_152814s.jpg

Now I needed my dear Dread Princess to help so I could check for voltage at the solenoid without rigging up a bunch of wires. She turned the key and it cranked right over. :cussing:

So it went from an easy troubleshooting process to an intermittent no crank. Every time that I have tried it since yesterday morning (after jacking it up and removing the wheel) it has cranked correctly. :party1:

New starter and solenoid are on the way.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I was dropping off a piece of equipment at a business yesterday morning and after I was unloaded, turned the key and nothing... No crank. Tried many times, jiggled the switch, pressed hard, clutch to floor for the interlock switch. No crank.
Checked all the fuses that could cause a no crank (there are 3) and the starter relay... All working.
I'm blocking a business at a busy time of day. :thumbsup2: The equipment was unloaded from my trailer in a way that required me to unhook the trailer from the pickup, so that was kind of helpful... Asked the forklift driver if he could give me a push start. Kind of embarrassing, but he's a super nice gentleman and I was on my way in 2 minutes.

After retracing the start circuit path through and under the dash, two fuse panels and under the hood, I am down to the start solenoid. Easiest to get to the wiring and hanger hardware behind the front wheel...

Attachment:
IMG_20190403_152814s.jpg

Now I needed my dear Dread Princess to help so I could check for voltage at the solenoid without rigging up a bunch of wires. She turned the key and it cranked right over. :cussing:

So it went from an easy troubleshooting process to an intermittent no crank. Every time that I have tried it since yesterday morning (after jacking it up and removing the wheel) it has cranked correctly. :party1:

Sounds like low air pressure in that front tire.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:

Attachment:
IMG_20190403_152814s.jpg

Want to bet you jostled the connections, and that 'fixed it enough' to make it crank again?

Do justice. Love mercy.

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:12 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Set up a sandblast cabinet for some old tool restoration projects soon.
Installed the new starter in the pickup.
Threw away an old miter saw and placed an even older radial arm saw in its place. Building a new table for it tomorrow if I can find the time.

Getting ready to do a dreaded project...
Drilling will take about 5 hours if I planned it right, and then there are 6 hours of cutting and grinding with an Evolution steel cutting saw and 5" cutting discs.

I have about 1800 9/16" holes to drill with a drill press in 3/16" mild steel... Trying to avoid handling them twice, but I hate cutting a hole that size without a pilot hole.
Ugh.

Drill 1800 5/16" pilot holes, then drill 1800 more times to 9/16". I'm tired already.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Set up a sandblast cabinet for some old tool restoration projects soon.
Installed the new starter in the pickup.
Threw away an old miter saw and placed an even older radial arm saw in its place. Building a new table for it tomorrow if I can find the time.

Getting ready to do a dreaded project...
Drilling will take about 5 hours if I planned it right, and then there are 6 hours of cutting and grinding with an Evolution steel cutting saw and 5" cutting discs.

I have about 1800 9/16" holes to drill with a drill press in 3/16" mild steel... Trying to avoid handling them twice, but I hate cutting a hole that size without a pilot hole.
Ugh.

Drill 1800 5/16" pilot holes, then drill 1800 more times to 9/16". I'm tired already.

Sounds like its time to set up some jigs and make a foot pedal to pull on that drill press arm.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:

Ugh.

Step drill bits are your best friend in cases like this, when the material isn't too thick. Don't fall for the Harbor Freight stuff for your type production work.

If the 3/16" stock is too thick get the larger hole though the far side, can you flip the piece, and finish the hole from the other side? Don't know in your case f that's a bigger PITA than just drilling two holes separately?

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Ugh.

Sounds like a quick and easy job for someone with a TorchMate.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:23 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Traut wrote:
Step drill bits are your best friend in cases like this, when the material isn't too thick. Don't fall for the Harbor Freight stuff for your type production work.

I hadn't thought about using a step drill! I always think of this as very specific to electrical box and control box fab, which is usually 12ga or thinner.
I will give it a try on a few. I put a few hours in last night, have a few more hours to go.

If there is one place that the choice between cheap and good is most obvious, it is in drill bits. :thumbsup2: Any time I come across a cheap drill bit it goes right into the scrap bin. No time to try to sharpen poor quality HSS.

Old Growth wrote:
Sounds like a quick and easy job for someone with a TorchMate.

2-5/16" walls on both sides, little under 1" apart. Can't fit the nozzle down where the holes are being drilled.

Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:41 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Welded for about 6 hours today after the cutting and drilling and grinding...
It was raining, and about 3/4 of the welding was outside. 50' welding leads let me get out where I can get wet while playing with electricity.
The first time the light shock hits through the wet gloves it always kind of puts some spring into the step. It's only funny once though, so I went through 4 sets of gloves trying to keep my hands dry.

Nice spring day... The birds were noisy... The Cottonwood trees waft their heavenly scent this time of year. The blossoms are already on the fruit trees. Haven't seen a Mason or Leafcutter bee yet.

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 73  Next