Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:53 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 75  Next
 What did you DIY today? 

Not really my best work, but this was a test to see if there is something better I can do....

So - I've been using the weber wire grate brushes for cleaning my grill --- they work great, but they tend to load up with grease and bbq sauce really quickly - I've found that it is pretty easy to burn it off with a torch, but it is still a pain in the ass.
Attachment:
20200619_104030 (Medium).jpg

I've resorted to using a paint scraper to remove the bigger chunks before brushing, but that is pretty time consuming and with the short handle I would end up almost burning my knuckles as the grill is heating - especially at the back under the warming rack. Was thinking of looking for a longer handled model --- but figured there should be something better.... something with a profile that would fit BETWEEN the grate bars.... so I tried to make one. Figured out that a 60 degree wedge was just right to fit between the bars with good contact. My first attempt was an almost complete failure --- but I saw the two mistakes I made --- 1- I got a bit over ambitious and tried to make a double tipped scraper - my layout skills were lacking in precision to be able make it work well, and 2- I used a piece of scrap cedar board for the material - which made the layout difficult and precise cutting difficult too. So, I tried again with a single tipped scraper out of plywood knowing I could make it work.... and it did!
Attachment:
20200619_104119.jpg

Attachment:
20200619_104050 (Medium).jpg

I thought I was pretty smart to put a ~15 degree tilt on the handle to keep from burning knuckles....
Attachment:
20200619_104205 (Medium).jpg

You can see by how clean the grates are that it works pretty damn good!
Gonna use it for a while as I look for some 1/8" aluminum to make a 'real' one out of.... I may have to attempt a double tipped version too since I should be able to do a better layout on it --- all I need to do is figure out what the correct radius is for the top of the grate bars. Even a single tipped aluminum version should work really well.

And a note to anyone who hasn't figured it out yet --- stop burning the grates to clean!!! I see so many people do it.... I've found that heating the grill up to 300-350 and scraping then is so much easier than baking the crap on at 500+ and trying to chip the burnt/charred remains off. The added benefit is that by not burning off the grates, a layer of grease remains on the grates so nothing EVER sticks! That grease layer is really important if you have cast iron grates --- thats what keeps them from rusting out! Just like a cast iron pan.

I do most of my grilling at 300-400 anyways --- smoking on the grill now at 200-250 -- there is no reason to preheat the grill to 500 IMO --- it only rusts out the internals faster. The one downside to never burning out the grill is that it tends to be a grease fire waiting to happen if you do let it get over 450 --- pretty much guaranteed.... I just make it a point to clean out the box on a regular basis or when I hear the grease bubbling on the bottom

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you scrap it right after using it, you wouldn't have that problem.

fixed damn it, fat fingers on ph

Last edited by cmica on Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

cmica wrote:
if you scrap it right after use you wouldn't have that problem

That gets expensive after a couple of cooks, though.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:19 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

MadPick wrote:
cmica wrote:
if you scrap it right after use you wouldn't have that problem

That gets expensive after a couple of cooks, though.

Lmao one letter or comma makes all the difference. Jack and his horse, something something.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Even if you did scrape it right after cooking, it would still goo up the brushes pretty badly.... I've been to the point where those brushes were almost solidly filled with grease and sauce --- the squirrels would come and chew the grease out! A simple profiled scraper is what is needed - to knock the grease/sauce off the grates and is still easy to clean up.
I think I am on the right track --- just need some aluminum sheet metal to make a 'real' one.... I've got an old street sign that I'm thinking about using, but I hate to cut that up just for a small piece.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried something new (to me anyway) to get the races out of the Peterbilt hubs. Ran a bead all the way around to shrink the race. Still had to pound on them and one I had to hit a second time with the welder, but they all came out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Tried something new (to me anyway) to get the races out of the Peterbilt hubs. Ran a bead all the way around to shrink the race. Still had to pound on them and one I had to hit a second time with the welder, but they all came out

Gonna be rough on the bearings when you put them back in. :wink05: :ROFLMAO:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

Gonna be rough on the bearings when you put them back in. :wink05: :ROFLMAO:

What's that noise!!!?? :rofl9:

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys....

That's what a dremel is for, duh

Seriously though. I have new bearing SETS showing up on Friday. One side wasn't too bad but the other had big pits in both the races and the bearings

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
You guys....

That's what a dremel is for, duh

Seriously though. I have new bearing SETS showing up on Friday. One side wasn't too bad but the other had big pits in both the races and the bearings

Hence --> :wink05: :ROFLMAO:

:bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:59 pm

try those copper sheet things and the grill doesn't get dirty

Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of dremels, I swapped out the bad motor (left) in my Hazard Frought rock tumbler with a new one (right), which I found on Amazon for $20. Turns out they are just an electric fan motor.
I had to make a few tweaks to the new motor to get it to fit and the devil's tool came in real handy.
Runs great now.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

picked up another old Craftsman welder off CL, this one is AC/DC, no leads, dryer plug for power
going to DINSE it up and make new leads for it
and somehow add wheels on it, it's heavy AF and a bitch to move :thumbsdown:

Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

95% complete on the covered firepit, needs some wiring/outlets, gutters, and a paver that'll surround the air intake so I can cut the intake pipe down flush.

Built a concrete topped desk, it's heavy

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Baked the caliper paint onto some parts for my Peterbilt

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 75  Next