Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:24 am


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
 What did you DIY today? 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 7321
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

$5 vs $150

I'm on my shop computer with a monitor I fixed with $8 worth of capacitors. Dad was going to throw it out...

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:53 pm
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 42103
Real Name: Steve
Arisaka wrote:
Everybody else just buys a new module van. Rocket Scott don’t play that shit, he just buys new capacitors.


Fixt.

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:12 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 7321
MadPick wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
Everybody else just buys a new module van. Rocket Scott don’t play that shit, he just buys new capacitors.


Fixt.


No joke, I bought it for $250 from a friend because that's what the junkers offered him for it

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:19 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 21240
Real Name: Paco X
I rebuilt a Thule hinged hitch bike rack. Good to go now. The tubes were rusty and packed with dirt, fasteners have some rust, cleaned and preserved. I may replace a few with stainless, but structurally they are fine. I don't really trust the rubber tie down straps so I ordered some generics that supposedly work on this rack (Thule doesn't sell them any more).

_________________
I'm like Jesus only bitter and hateful.

NOT A PROFESSIONAL RUSSIAN.


Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:27 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Bonney Lake
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011
Posts: 2642
dunno if this qualifies as a DIY but whatevs :045:

was having a cup-o-noodles while i was browsing this fine board...
put the cup in front of the keyboard... aaand bumped the damn thing, spilling a little on the keyboard
sonofabitch! :cussing: grabbed some towels wiped it up, meh fine, good enough...
but no... the OCD kicked in [can't leave that shit in there!]
took the damn thing apart and holy shit! it was nasty in there. this keyboard is about 6 years old.
Attachment:
20200910_220818.jpg

Attachment:
20200910_220824.jpg

Attachment:
20200910_220847.jpg


cleaned it all up with hot water and a brush
Attachment:
20200910_234053.jpg


scrubbed down all edges of all keys put it back together and she's as good as new again, feels a lot tighter too :wink05:

i showed you mine now you have to show me yours :popcorn:


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
PMB wrote:
It is a logical fallacy to debate who screwed the pooch first- Screwing the pooch is still wrong.

Quote:
The biggest lie in our society is believing that we are entitled to birth rights simply for being alive.
Nothing in our world is a right, everything was purchased at some point in our history, and more often than not it was purchased in blood.


Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:40 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14024
Real Name: John
Aren't basic Keyboards like 15 bucks? I admire the tenacity, but i would have just pitched it myself. :wink05:

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:45 am
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Bonney Lake
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011
Posts: 2642
it'a wireless keyboard, and a part of keyboard/mouse combo. those are more around $40-$50
and it was working fine, it didn't get super wet, not good enough reason to toss it
i could just let it be, but all that nastyness would have led to more shit growing inside there...
and there is that OCD thing :bigsmile:
it only took about an hour

_________________
PMB wrote:
It is a logical fallacy to debate who screwed the pooch first- Screwing the pooch is still wrong.

Quote:
The biggest lie in our society is believing that we are entitled to birth rights simply for being alive.
Nothing in our world is a right, everything was purchased at some point in our history, and more often than not it was purchased in blood.


Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:50 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 7321
usrifle wrote:
Aren't basic Keyboards like 15 bucks? I admire the tenacity, but i would have just pitched it myself. :wink05:
Don’t make me come over there and slap you

DIY isn’t just about money. Lots of other reasons, like not being wasteful. Also it probably took less time to clean it up than it would take to get a new one


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:59 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: RENTON
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011
Posts: 14024
Real Name: John
RocketScott wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Aren't basic Keyboards like 15 bucks? I admire the tenacity, but i would have just pitched it myself. :wink05:
Don’t make me come over there and slap you

DIY isn’t just about money. Lots of other reasons, like not being wasteful. Also it probably took less time to clean it up than it would take to get a new one


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Bitch, please. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah i get the concept of DIY, I do that shit all the time. There isn't much i can't fix, build or repair.....except Electronics, that's my Kryptonite.

I abhor spending money to pay someone to do something i can do myself, but that hour of my Life for that Keyboard isn't worth it to me for something that is a throw away and has served it's purpose at 40 bucks for 5 years or more.

YMMV :wink05:

_________________
Mr. Q wrote: so basically, if you have to smoke some asshole, make sure they become fertilizer and then Bounce? got it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member


Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:10 am
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: South Seattle
Joined: Thu May 2, 2013
Posts: 7149
Real Name: Steve
I’m 1/2 way between y’all...

I’d clean it, then donate it, and upgrade :thumbsup2:


Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:14 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar
Site Admin

Location: Renton, WA
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011
Posts: 42103
Real Name: Steve
I’m in for the usrifle-slapping!

Movingviolation, I’ve been there, done that. Funny post! Yeah, you just KNOW that there’s a ton of shit living in that keyboard but you can generally ignore it ... up to a point.

Pro tip: Take a photo of the keyboard before you start popping keys out.

_________________
Steve

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.


Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:20 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Index
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012
Posts: 11845
Real Name: Jeff
MadPick wrote:
I’m in for the usrifle-slapping!

Movingviolation, I’ve been there, done that. Funny post! Yeah, you just KNOW that there’s a ton of shit living in that keyboard but you can generally ignore it ... up to a point.

Pro tip: Take a photo of the keyboard before you start popping keys out.

Yup.

And you beat me to the pro tip.

_________________
-Jeff

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

The problem with being on social media, is that you know too many people that you don't know.

Joy is not a feeling. It is a strength. Some people are stupid, that's all there is to it. (And sometimes that stupid person is me/you.) Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid. Don't let stupid steal your joy.

Holding onto unforgiveness and resentment is like drinking poison and expecting that other person to die. Anger will eat you up.

Freedom without responsibility is chaos.


Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:51 am
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Bonney Lake
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011
Posts: 2642
if i didn't take the photo of it i'd be posting in "what pissed you off today":
- dammit! took my keyboard apart, cleaned the shit out of it and then couldn't put it back together because i'm such a dumbass that didn't take a pic of it before taking it apart!!!
:reaction: :reaction:

_________________
PMB wrote:
It is a logical fallacy to debate who screwed the pooch first- Screwing the pooch is still wrong.

Quote:
The biggest lie in our society is believing that we are entitled to birth rights simply for being alive.
Nothing in our world is a right, everything was purchased at some point in our history, and more often than not it was purchased in blood.


Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:51 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Index
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012
Posts: 11845
Real Name: Jeff
movingviolation wrote:
if i didn't take the photo of it i'd be posting in "what pissed you off today":
- dammit! took my keyboard apart, cleaned the shit out of it and then couldn't put it back together because i'm such a dumbass that didn't take a pic of it before taking it apart!!!
:reaction: :reaction:

BTDT and why it is now my 'pro tip'. :wink05: :ROFLMAO:

_________________
-Jeff

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

The problem with being on social media, is that you know too many people that you don't know.

Joy is not a feeling. It is a strength. Some people are stupid, that's all there is to it. (And sometimes that stupid person is me/you.) Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid. Don't let stupid steal your joy.

Holding onto unforgiveness and resentment is like drinking poison and expecting that other person to die. Anger will eat you up.

Freedom without responsibility is chaos.


Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:02 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 21240
Real Name: Paco X
I put my laptop in the DW because someone gave me a protip on keyboard cleaning.

























icon_eek icon_eek :bigsmile:

_________________
I'm like Jesus only bitter and hateful.

NOT A PROFESSIONAL RUSSIAN.


Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:12 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.766s | 14 Queries | GZIP : Off ]