Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Recommendation on motion sensor lights 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need three good, but inexpensive motion sensor lights.

I've had cheap, and I've had fairly expensive. Seems it doesn't matter the cost, a lot of them are just made crappy.

Most common faults include the motion sensor 'blob' part of them, that is supposed to be adjustable to any angle... Will not move far. so you can't actually get the angle you need. Gets loose and changes position after you have climbed back down the ladder. Or just plain leaks, and/or falls apart.

Has anyone had any good luck with inexpensive but good motion sensor lights?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-110 ... /206520242

mine has been going 9 yrs with out a problem. sits under the eve so it gets no weather

Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bough a few of these 3 years ago and they have been great. Power bill went down since they are on all the time, no bulbs to mess with.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Good-Earth-Lig ... 1000215623

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-110-Degree-White-Motion-Sensing-Outdoor-Security-Light-DF-5415-WH/206520242

mine has been going 9 yrs with out a problem. sits under the eve so it gets no weather

I have two of these. 10+ years. Exact model. Work pretty darn well. That said - they are not exactly consistent so I do see what Selador is saying. One is more sensitive than the other. The less sensitive one, I thought actually shit the bed a couple years ago. Didn't seem to come on. So up the ladder I go, randomly fiddle with myself. That night works like a champ again. Repeated a few weeks later, so shit I bought a new one. Up the ladder I go. Fiddle fiddle. Before I replace. That night, works again. No issues for a few years now, back-up unit on shelf!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I quit using motion sensor lights. Kept getting turned on by blowing leaves, neighbors cat(s), and sometimes they didn't work at all.

I said "screw it" and installed a Honeywell controller on the light switch. It turns on the lights at sunset and off at dawn. Rather than photo sensor (which also didn't work for me due to neighbors lights) it uses an internal algorithm that uses latitude/longtitude to calculate the actual sunset/sunrise based on location. Can also be programmed for total shut down in the middle of the night if you want. Lights on at sundown for a couple hours, off, back on a couple hours before sunrise, then off for the day.

With the lower cost of LED's today and their greater output in floodlights, you can light your place up like a prison yard for less money than a couple old school motion sensing floods. The floods in my back yard draw less power than a string of miniature christmas tree lights. Every four days it costs me $0.12 or less than a buck/month.

For night time warning of "intruders", if I lived in a remote area I'd have geese. NOTHING raises a bigger racket than geese when someone/something that doesn't belong shows up. You just have to wear rubber boots :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys!

:bigsmile:

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
Thanks guys!

So, the chicken wire & shotguns aren't working anymore?

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Selador wrote:
Thanks guys!

So, the chicken wire & shotguns aren't working anymore?

They is gettin' sneaky!

Gotta know where they is, afor you kin shoot um!

Do justice. Love mercy.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had good luck with these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BCCNZ7K/ ... ax_0?psc=1

Had them outside in WA and they're outside in the freezing midwest (even with that polar vortex).

Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]