Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fixing a flat wheel barrow tire? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some time back I won a free wheel barrow in a PIF on here. The guy who gave it to me told me that the tire was a problem child, but I wasn't too worried, it's not hard to seat a tire & pump it up.

Until it gets cold... then it's a major PITA.

We wanted to move some firewood around to the front porch in case we lose power during the next snowmageddon (we're seeing a few flakes so far, but nothing to write home about yet). We managed to get a couple of loads to the front by both of us basically pulling up on the weight of the barrow so the totally flat & off the rim tire would track (well sort of).

I filled my 10 gallon pressure tank and tried wetting the rim with water & liquid soap to get it to seal long enough to take pressure (I've done this at least half a dozen times in the past when it was warm), I even tried the ether and explosive lighting (not so much, more like a burn) to seat it. Nothing worked, so we just dealt with having a flat tire & got the wood moved.

So, what are my best options for an actual fix? Does the goo stuff work at all? Replace it with a solid tire? Put a tube in it? Get a replacement tubeless (tubed?) tire? The wheel barrow itself is in great shape, so there's no need to replace it, just the tire's a piece of shit and needs some love. Fill the tire with something like expanding foam?
Opinions?

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Solid tire and forget about it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:54 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Second for the solid tire.
We've gotten so fed up with low quality wheel barrow tires that the rule here at the Chicken Ranch is no more pneumatic tires on them.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Third vote for the solid tire.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=wheel+barrel
Sometimes free isn't worth it.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Home Depot sells wheelbarrow tire inner tubes cheap enough to buy several for spares. Just cut the valve stem out of the wheel, and snake the inner tube valve stem through the hole. Add air, done like dinner.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

RENCORP wrote:
Home Depot sells wheelbarrow tire inner tubes cheap enough to buy several for spares. Just cut the valve stem out of the wheel, and snake the inner tube valve stem through the hole. Add air, done like dinner.

This sounds like a good alternative. :bow:

Moved to DIY

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
Some time back I won a free wheel barrow in a PIF on here. The guy who gave it to me told me that the tire was a problem child, but I wasn't too worried, it's not hard to seat a tire & pump it up.

Until it gets cold... then it's a major PITA.

We wanted to move some firewood around to the front porch in case we lose power during the next snowmageddon (we're seeing a few flakes so far, but nothing to write home about yet). We managed to get a couple of loads to the front by both of us basically pulling up on the weight of the barrow so the totally flat & off the rim tire would track (well sort of).

I filled my 10 gallon pressure tank and tried wetting the rim with water & liquid soap to get it to seal long enough to take pressure (I've done this at least half a dozen times in the past when it was warm), I even tried the ether and explosive lighting (not so much, more like a burn) to seat it. Nothing worked, so we just dealt with having a flat tire & got the wood moved.

So, what are my best options for an actual fix? Does the goo stuff work at all? Replace it with a solid tire? Put a tube in it? Get a replacement tubeless (tubed?) tire? The wheel barrow itself is in great shape, so there's no need to replace it, just the tire's a piece of shit and needs some love. Fill the tire with something like expanding foam?
Opinions?

If the tire is left with weight on it, the expanding foam will become 'flat' in one spot.

Tube is an ok fix. You may still have to air it up from time to time. If it starts to leak, you can patch it.

Solid tire made for the purpose is best for long term reliability.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Solid tire is the best. Tube will probably last you forever and is cheaper. Temporarily you might be able to run a leather belt around the tire and cinch it down while trying to fill it. The belt can put enough pressure on the bead to get it to seat.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait til HB runs a sale. I got two of the 13 in pnuematic wheels on that page for $8. $3,99 marked down from $13.99

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is how you do it

Wrap a ratchet nylon strap around the circumference of the tire and ratchet it down. That will keep the tire bead in contact with the wheel. Then inflate until bead snaps on to wheel

My dad was an auto mechanic and taught me this about 55 years ago. I Still use it and it still works

Having said all that, I would get a solid tire too.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Here is how you do it

Wrap a ratchet nylon strap around the circumference of the tire and ratchet it down. That will keep the tire bead in contact with the wheel. Then inflate until bead snaps on to wheel

My dad was an auto mechanic and taught me this about 55 years ago. I Still use it and it still works

That beats the leather belt trick all to hell. We didnt have ratchet straps 55 years (or more) ago when my dad showed me.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
Here is how you do it

That beats the leather belt trick all to hell. We didnt have ratchet straps 55 years (or more) ago when my dad showed me.

Yeah I remember the leather belts too. Never a hole where you needed it.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dump it.....

hand truck and strap

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:04 pm

When you are doing the belt or strap trick take the valve core out and just use your air coupler directly on the valve stem.

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next