Switch to full style
Do-It-Yourselfers, let's talk about home, auto and other non-gun related projects!
Post a reply

Fixing a flat wheel barrow tire?

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:52 pm

Some time back I won a free wheel barrow in a PIF on here. The guy who gave it to me told me that the tire was a problem child, but I wasn't too worried, it's not hard to seat a tire & pump it up.

Until it gets cold... then it's a major PITA.

We wanted to move some firewood around to the front porch in case we lose power during the next snowmageddon (we're seeing a few flakes so far, but nothing to write home about yet). We managed to get a couple of loads to the front by both of us basically pulling up on the weight of the barrow so the totally flat & off the rim tire would track (well sort of).

I filled my 10 gallon pressure tank and tried wetting the rim with water & liquid soap to get it to seal long enough to take pressure (I've done this at least half a dozen times in the past when it was warm), I even tried the ether and explosive lighting (not so much, more like a burn) to seat it. Nothing worked, so we just dealt with having a flat tire & got the wood moved.

So, what are my best options for an actual fix? Does the goo stuff work at all? Replace it with a solid tire? Put a tube in it? Get a replacement tubeless (tubed?) tire? The wheel barrow itself is in great shape, so there's no need to replace it, just the tire's a piece of shit and needs some love. Fill the tire with something like expanding foam?
Opinions?

Re: Fixing a flat wheel barrow tire?

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Solid tire and forget about it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Second for the solid tire.
We've gotten so fed up with low quality wheel barrow tires that the rule here at the Chicken Ranch is no more pneumatic tires on them.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Third vote for the solid tire.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:02 pm

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=wheel+barrel
Sometimes free isn't worth it.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Home Depot sells wheelbarrow tire inner tubes cheap enough to buy several for spares. Just cut the valve stem out of the wheel, and snake the inner tube valve stem through the hole. Add air, done like dinner.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm

RENCORP wrote:Home Depot sells wheelbarrow tire inner tubes cheap enough to buy several for spares. Just cut the valve stem out of the wheel, and snake the inner tube valve stem through the hole. Add air, done like dinner.

This sounds like a good alternative. :bow:

Moved to DIY

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:08 pm

delliottg wrote:Some time back I won a free wheel barrow in a PIF on here. The guy who gave it to me told me that the tire was a problem child, but I wasn't too worried, it's not hard to seat a tire & pump it up.

Until it gets cold... then it's a major PITA.

We wanted to move some firewood around to the front porch in case we lose power during the next snowmageddon (we're seeing a few flakes so far, but nothing to write home about yet). We managed to get a couple of loads to the front by both of us basically pulling up on the weight of the barrow so the totally flat & off the rim tire would track (well sort of).

I filled my 10 gallon pressure tank and tried wetting the rim with water & liquid soap to get it to seal long enough to take pressure (I've done this at least half a dozen times in the past when it was warm), I even tried the ether and explosive lighting (not so much, more like a burn) to seat it. Nothing worked, so we just dealt with having a flat tire & got the wood moved.

So, what are my best options for an actual fix? Does the goo stuff work at all? Replace it with a solid tire? Put a tube in it? Get a replacement tubeless (tubed?) tire? The wheel barrow itself is in great shape, so there's no need to replace it, just the tire's a piece of shit and needs some love. Fill the tire with something like expanding foam?
Opinions?

If the tire is left with weight on it, the expanding foam will become 'flat' in one spot.

Tube is an ok fix. You may still have to air it up from time to time. If it starts to leak, you can patch it.

Solid tire made for the purpose is best for long term reliability.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Solid tire is the best. Tube will probably last you forever and is cheaper. Temporarily you might be able to run a leather belt around the tire and cinch it down while trying to fill it. The belt can put enough pressure on the bead to get it to seat.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 pm

AR15L wrote:https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=wheel+barrel
Sometimes free isn't worth it.

Wait til HB runs a sale. I got two of the 13 in pnuematic wheels on that page for $8. $3,99 marked down from $13.99

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Here is how you do it

Wrap a ratchet nylon strap around the circumference of the tire and ratchet it down. That will keep the tire bead in contact with the wheel. Then inflate until bead snaps on to wheel

My dad was an auto mechanic and taught me this about 55 years ago. I Still use it and it still works

Having said all that, I would get a solid tire too.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Arisaka wrote:Here is how you do it

Wrap a ratchet nylon strap around the circumference of the tire and ratchet it down. That will keep the tire bead in contact with the wheel. Then inflate until bead snaps on to wheel

My dad was an auto mechanic and taught me this about 55 years ago. I Still use it and it still works

That beats the leather belt trick all to hell. We didnt have ratchet straps 55 years (or more) ago when my dad showed me.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:00 pm

Traut wrote:
Arisaka wrote:Here is how you do it

That beats the leather belt trick all to hell. We didnt have ratchet straps 55 years (or more) ago when my dad showed me.

Yeah I remember the leather belts too. Never a hole where you needed it.

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:04 pm

dump it.....

hand truck and strap

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:40 am

When you are doing the belt or strap trick take the valve core out and just use your air coupler directly on the valve stem.
Post a reply