Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Cutting dangerous downed tree. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've posted pics of this tree before, on here, but I'll include one here, anyway.

Attachment:
then.jpg

This tree fell before thanksgiving.

Fell across the back corner of the chevy pickup.

We got out there and cut up the part that reached from the pickup, out to the road, so that I could get into and out of my driveway.

However, the part that is left is still supported by the truck on that end, and is supported off the ground by both the height of the hillside it fell from, and by it's rootball.

This tree is rotten. It's why it fell in the first place.

The wood that was cut from it already, was taken and used for firewood, and I am told it burned just fine as firewood.

However, the height at which this span is suspended, and the rottenness of the wood, concerns me.

I am thinking that when it is being cut, it can let go at any moment, because you have no idea how far the rot extends into the tree at any given place.

Given the slope of the ground, the slope of the tree, the heights that it is supported, the fact that one end is a rootball, and could collapse, or roll, or tilt at any moment... I think the tree could go any direction at all, at the moment it separates at the cut.

And as big and heavy as it is, I REALLY don't want to be in the way when it decides to fall and roll whatever direction.

So, some advice please from our resident tree experts.

How would you go about cutting this?

I am considering first wrapping a cable around it and pulling it off of the end of the truck.

While that might add a bit to the damage on the truck it would at least eliminate a small part of the danger.

Just not sure where I want to go from there.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you safely burn it? Maybe in small controlled sections?

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had several similar downed trees on my old property. ( OK, without the truck).

You can slice rounds , starting at the 'top' end and if it does move, it will go slowly.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stay uphill of it. Be quick on your feet.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the rootball may wish to reorient horizontally back into its hole once enough counter-balanced weight holding the rootball perpendicular to its original orientation is removed. The rootball can fall over and what's left of the tree still attached to it would resume its original vertical stance; a sort of Mister-Selador-and-his-saw flinging catapult.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ALWAYS buck any blowdown from the top towards the butt...

To bad you're so far away, I'd come and do it for you.

-- Travis A Kisner

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good advice. And I was hoping OG would chime in.

Still thinking and considering, here...

I'm not taking pics of things because I have already learned I can't show what I want to show, with pics. It's impossible. It's the 2d nature of the pics.

For one, in my estimation, it looks like the rootball will want to fall forward, toward the tree, instead of away from it, if I make a cut there at the rootball.

My thoughts at this point...

I MIGHT wait until someone with a longer saw shows up.

MAYBE pull the tree off the truck first.

Then, the first cut, at the rootball.

As OG says, whoever cuts, is going to have to be light on their feet and ready for anything. (I am picturing me, in the background, holding a rope tied around the chest of someone else who is doing the cutting. The instructions are to cut it the right way, and be ready to just let go of the saw. Better to replace the saw than a limb, or a life. The rope is intended ONLY for if I have to jerk the person backwards, away from the tree and rootball. And I am the ONLY person I know, who I would trust to pull on that rope, or to NOT pull on it...)

First, a "V" cut on the top. Then undercut. And if it takes it, go back and cut downward from the vee.

Again, being ready to just let go of the saw and scramble backwards.

That spot is probably going to be the safest place, to cut from, for the first cut. You'll be right beside the trooper, which will provide crush resistance. And it will keep the body of the tree from being able to swing in your direction.

Anywhere else, you just can't possibly know which direction anything is going to travel once it is cut enough, and/or it just cracks in two.

If it can be cut loose from the rootball, and has been left on the truck, now it can be pulled off the truck, and now it is all directly on the ground. Easy peasy from that point on. Done it a few thousand times.

~~~~~~~

Or, as has just been suggested elsewhere...

Drill a hole and pour in some powder.

:thumbsup2:

I LIKE that idea a lot! Just have to find someone with some powder and some expertise... :bigsmile:

Maybe tannerite? Can be put in a hole in the tree, and then shot from a good vantage point well up the hill on the other side...

Won't make a bit of difference to me if it damages the two vehicles there. Apparently no one wants them, so they'll be going to the scrapyard anyway.

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post a free firewood thread on Craigslist.. Might have it gone in a few days.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put a car jack before it gets to the truck to support some weight and then cut off the parts by the truck. Then just work it from the top back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

foothills wrote:

I have a 30ft Cherry Tree behind my house that needs to be taken down , Im also closer to you than the OP lol

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are so many variables, its a waste of time giving advice. Bucking blowdowns is a skilled hazard. They can be loaded from ANY direction.

You have to cut slowly and read the cuts movement. It looks like an old dead shitty maple from pics??

Cutting trees is kinda like poking a hornets nest. Sometimes you just gotta be alert and fast and you still might get bit.
If you were closer Id buck it up for ya. I even tried to get a couple of my buddies to come get that truck. They are all to lazy tho.

Most loggers don"t retire.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:
foothills wrote:

I have a 30ft Cherry Tree behind my house that needs to be taken down , Im also closer to you than the OP lol

Mmmm, pork shoulders! :bigsmile:

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
zombie66 wrote:
foothills wrote:

You can have the wood....

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
There are so many variables, its a waste of time giving advice. Bucking blowdowns is a skilled hazard. They can be loaded from ANY direction.

You have to cut slowly and read the cuts movement. It looks like an old dead shitty maple from pics??

Cutting trees is kinda like poking a hornets nest. Sometimes you just gotta be alert and fast and you still might get bit.
If you were closer Id buck it up for ya. I even tried to get a couple of my buddies to come get that truck. They are all to lazy tho.

Most loggers don"t retire.

Thank you. I agree with every bit of that. I knew it. Just kinda hoped someone might know somethin I didn't. LOL

I am going to see what I can do to make the tannerite option happen. If I do, I'll try to video it.

I figured the tree was the biggest part of making people lazy about the truck. That's why I have changed my tact and decided to get the tree out of the way.

Although, once the tree is out of the way, I'll probably just take the vehicles in for scrap. And they are worth a LOT more than that, to the right people. I'd hoped to be able to pay it forward and let some of those people have a chance at them.

zombie66 wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
zombie66 wrote:
foothills wrote:

You can have the wood....

I think he wants pork shoulders too. :bigsmile:

Do justice. Love mercy.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know where they sell those....

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next