Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Miller XMT 300 CC/TIG 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

It's a long shot, but checking here first. Hopefully someone here has some experience in the guts of one of the newfangled inverter type of machine.

I have a Miller XMT 300 CC/TIG (KB140xxx s/n) that has been lightly used for the last 25 years. I have the pulse unit and the remote foot pedal for it also.
A few months ago I went out to do a small job with it and everything sounded ok... flipped the main switch up, fan kicked on, slight delay and the main contactors kicked in.
That's when the troubleshooting started. Zero output voltage. It reads 0 (zero) on the built in volt/ammeter display, doesn't strike an arc, and reads 0 (zero) volts on a handheld voltmeter.
I opened it up, checked the only two fuses that I found on the schematic. Both good.
Attachment:
XMTschematic1.jpg

If you've dealt with circuit drawings much you can probably tell right off that Miller doesn't want us servicing our machines. All the circuit boards are treated as black boxes in the schematic, and the service/technical manual is not available from Miller, at least for guys like me.
Attachment:
XMTschematic2.jpg

Although I have loved this machine, this is the reason that I have always preferred the big heavy transformer machines.
So does anyone here have any experience inside one of these beasts? This is the 230/460 autolink, 1phase/3phase.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, it's been awhile, and nobody else has commented, so I thought I'd chime in.

Do you have a big old plastic dead blow hammer?

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:19 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I do, Sir Traut.

Shall I anticipate the next question? "Do you have a 50 BMG and a decent backdrop?" :bigsmile:

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:02 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Traut wrote:
Well, it's been awhile, and nobody else has commented, so I thought I'd chime in.

Do you have a big old plastic dead blow hammer?

I am still waiting the purpose of the big old dead blow hammer... Was it humor? :bigsmile: Are we talking about giving it a tap tap tap?

Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]