Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next
 1926 Model TT Restoration: Engine/Trans Rebuild 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
My radiator on the shelf has "ballard ratiator xx/xx/1962" on it. I wonder i they have a unconditional warranty on it? I'm not looking to sell btw, it's probably going infront of my v-8 60

Ha! Good luck with that Shaggy!

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolute fascinating thread. THanks for continuing to share.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Model T’s have their throttle on the steering column, where a “3 on the tree” shifter is located. You operate it with your right hand. Your left hand controls the spark advance lever. There is no gas pedal.

This works fine for a standard 2-speed Model T, where you shift betweed low and high gears by pressing a foot pedal. However, my truck also has a 3-speed Warford transmission behind the standard Model T transmission, giving you a total of six speeds. This is very useful for hauling heavy loads up hills. The Warford has a stick that you shift with your right hand like a modern transmission.

A bit of a problem arises when you shift the Warford. It has straight cut gears, so you must use the throttle to match engine speed to gear speed, before you shift. But, with your right hand busy shifting, it is not available to work the throttle lever. There are two solutions to this dilemma: Bear hug the steering wheel and simultaneously execute a reach-around with your left hand to reach the throttle; or, install a foot throttle. I chose the foot throttle route. These were somewhat common in Model TT trucks back in the day, as a add-on accessory. It is very hard to find an original foot throttle these days. There used to be a kit you could buy, but it is no longer available. It looked like this

So I set out to duplicate the kit, using 0.120 steel sheet, 5/16 steel rod, 3/16 steel rod, and some scrap I had around the shop. The parts I needed to make were the linkage rods, throttle arm extension, slider, foot pedal and support bracket. Here are the linkage rods bent to shape, drilled for a cotter pin, and painted. Also in this pic is the extension arm that clamps around the throttle arm

The slider attaches the linkage rod to the hand throttle, so the hand throttle can still be used if desired. It started as a piece of scrap, was cut to shape and drilled.

Then it was break formed and a steel bolt welded on by member mcyclonegt.

The foot pedal arm started as 5/16 rod, that was threaded on one end. The pedal pad was cut from a steel billet I found in the scrap box.

Mcyclone helped me out here again by welding the pedal arm to a collar, and welding a nut to the underside of the foot pad. The pad is then screwed onto the pedal arm.

The last part was the support bracket. This supports the pedal, and has to be fairly precise in order to have all the linkages line up and operate smoothly. I started out with a cardboard template, and after a few test fits, transferred the template to 0.120 sheet steel. Then I went at it with a grinder and cut it to shape. The tube will end up as the pivot for the foot pedal

Mcyclone welded the tube to the bracket, and then I trimmed everything and painted it. I forgot to mention that mcyclonegt knows his way around a mig welder

Here are the components all painted and ready to install tomorrow

Last edited by Arisaka on Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are some damn fine looking welds. I’m sure that’s better than anything you could have bought as a kit

Nice work, the both of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the props. It is always fun to help someone out and tell stories. Can’t wait to see that truck.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, what a good morning read!!!
Great story & picture compilation to boot, you got skills brother. :thumbsup2:
Would love to check it out one day. :bigsmile:

Conversely, I'm looking for a project vintage Mustang. I had a 68 back in HS & reminisce of the old days hauling ass, the wind in my hair & rockin to Led Zeppilin.... The hair is gone but not the desire. :rofl9:

zI look forward to the rest of your journey. :wink05:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:

Conversely, I'm looking for a project vintage Mustang. I had a 68 back in HS & reminisce of the old days hauling ass, the wind in my hair & rockin to Led Zeppilin.... The hair is gone but not the desire. :rofl9:

You are welcome to swing by anytime Jim. Federal Way/Tacoma area. Shoot me a pm when you will be in the area

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Installed the foot throttle today. The parts consist of the throttle arm extension, hand throttle linkage, foot throttle linkage, foot throttle pedal, foot throttle rod and foot throttle bracket. Here are the parts

Up first was the throttle arm extension, that clamps onto the carburetor throttle arm

Next is the linkage that connects the throttle arm extension to the foot throttle rod.

Then the linkage to the hand throttle is installed. This linkage allows you to still use the hand throttle if you like. It passes right through the engine block, as did the original Ford factory linkage

Here is the other end of the linkage, where it connects to the hand throttle arm. The “slider” allows independent use of the foot throttle and hand throttle. Without it, the two throttle systems would fight each other.

Finally, the foot throttle pedal, rod and bracket. The pedal clamps to the rod with two tiny set screws. I drilled those out and tapped it to 1/4 - 20, and installed two beefy set screws

The support bracket bolts to transmission using two of the bolts holding the inspection cover on. I added two more holes to the ends of the bracket arms, to bolt it also to the firewall.

This thing works great! When you press down on the foot pedal, it drives forward the linkage to the throttle arm extension, opening the throttle. Simultaneously it drives the hand throttle linkage laterally. If you use the hand throttle, that linkage simply pulls on the throttle arm, again opening the throttle. Took a bit of work to get it adjusted properly, but will really make the truck easier to drive. Thanks again to mcyclonegt for welding the parts up for me!

Next up is floorboards

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. :bow: :bow: :bow:

My brother has our granddad's Model T "truck" (converted by granpa) stored at one of his houses. Otherwise pretty stock.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get it up here Pablo. We can go for a tour to various ranges and cigar bars!

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Those are some damn fine looking welds. I’m sure that’s better than anything you could have bought as a kit

:plusone: Great design, fab and weld work guys. Serious props. :bow:

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Get it up here Pablo. We can go for a tour to various ranges and cigar bars!

My brother and I will talk it over in couple weeks. Not worth any battle, he got it because he was close and had the space. Not going to cry about it. I just told him about this thread.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

:plusone: Great design, fab and weld work guys. Serious props. :bow:

Thank you Traut! Heading out now to build new floorboards!

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

You are welcome to swing by anytime Jim. Federal Way/Tacoma area. Shoot me a pm when you will be in the area

Sounds good, will be in touch. :thumbsup2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at my Uncle’s this weekend and started telling him about your truck. He went to his bookshelf and pulled this out:

Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 31  Next