Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:13 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next
 1926 Model TT Restoration: Engine/Trans Rebuild 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has to be the coooolest thread on the internet since some wild ass crazy Russian American made an AK47 out of a shovel.

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

db-elwood wrote:
This has to be the coooolest thread on the internet since some wild ass crazy Russian American made an AK47 out of a shovel.

Yep agree.........funny thing first engine open pic reminded me Briggs and Stratton filed for Chapter 11.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I got an update from my buddy. He pulled the valves to look at the seats. Turns out somebody installed hardened valve seats, which is good news. Bad news is that several of the seats are cracked. Here is one

That isn’t a terribly big deal, but number 3 cylinder has a crack between the valve and the cylinder. Here is the magnaflux on that beauty

This is a common problem on 1926-27 T engines. They will still run, but not well. Unfortunately, that crack can not be fixed. My engine block is toast.

My buddy is looking now for a used block that hasn’t already been bored out too much, and has valve guides that aren’t also blown out. The statement of work to rebuild a Model T block goes something like this

1. Re-Babbitt the crankshaft main bearings
2. Re-Babbitt the connecting rods
3. Grind the crank
4. Line bore the main bearings babbitt
5. Machine the con rods babbitt
6. Install hardened valve seats
7, Bore out cylinders as necessary
8. Ream out valve guides as necessary
9.. Replace rear cam bushing
8. Reassembly with new pistons, rings, valves, springs and cam.

Oh, and while we’re at it, May as well go through the transmission and replace all the bushings, pull the magnets, check all the gears, and install new bands.

Still waiting to hear how much all this will cost. I can also choose to put it back together and drive it as it is, until it completely dies. It won’t run great, but it will run. I will post more when I get more news and decide what to do.

Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well shit. Are blocks even available?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Well shit. Are blocks even available?

My buddy has several laying around. He is going to yard a few out of the blackberries and see if he can find one with some life still in it.

Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blown 289

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check with this guy.

https://offerup.com/p/27983412/

Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't we just 3D print one now?

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:

Yeah, that’s a typical old school Model T guy. Lots of rusty parts sitting in the back yard, slowly decomposing.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Can't we just 3D print one now?

Probably. A used block goes for $200-300. Babbitting is around $600. Machining about $500. Pistons $200. Valves $50. Miscellaneous gaskets and seals $200. All other parts I have already bought or can be reused. So about $2000 in parts alone. Labor is the big question.

It won’t be cheap. I might just slap on the high compression head and drive it until it blows up. Then rebuild it.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While I am waiting for the news on an engine rebuild, I decided to watch some Model T Babbitt work on YouTube. Babbitt is a tin alloy containing copper and antimony, that forms the bearing surface between the crankshaft and bearing blocks and caps. Babbitt bearings were widely used in pre-war cars. Here are a couple pics of the three Model T main bearing caps.

The silver-colored metal in this pic is the actual Babbitt material, which is cast-in to the bearing caps,

Here are some modern main bearing caps

Here is a video on pouring Babbitt in model T bearing caps

The other side of the bearing is cast into the engine block. Here is a model T block with a fresh set of Babbitt bearings

Here is a video on babbitting a model T engine block

Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just drop a Pinto engine in it and never open the hood.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Just drop a Pinto engine in it and never open the hood.

A Pinto engine? But what if he's out driving and a car hits him from behind? :wink05:

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In re babbit/bearings:

When in college there was a creaky old professor who taught PNW history.

He related the story of his trip to eastern washington along the path, once a wagon trail, that I-90 traverses.

He threw a bearing on his outing... so he climbed under the car (Mod T? I forget) and drained the crank case... INTO HIS HAT!

He dropped the pan (?) or otherwise accessed the crank and shimmed the bearing using the real tinfoil from his chewing gum wrappers.

Buttoned everything back up, refilled the CC and went on his jolly... :bow:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the day, by the time the ol 4 banger had wore out the tow truck driver would surely have done TWO things,
1 been completely tired of using a guttless underpowered turd to tow other rigs.
2 brought in a crashed post 32 ford with a low mile flathead V8 and had it in the yard.

Authentic OLD towtruck driver would have weighed out the cost of rebuilding the horrible 4 banger VS putting in a great engine that would actually tow a load and be pleasant to drive/operate.

Said old driver and tow truck would soon have a skookum new flathead V8.

Vroom.

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 31  Next