Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 1926 Model TT Restoration: Engine/Trans Rebuild 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might want to make some molds for casting future parts.
Hell that’s a side hustle business plan right there….

Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am assuming with a ring gear like that , that a double clutch is required when shifting? No syncro back then, correct?

Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
I am assuming with a ring gear like that , that a double clutch is required when shifting? No syncro back then, correct?

My TT has two transmissions. The original Ford 2-speed, with a Warford 3-speed bolted behind. The old school Warford I took off did indeed require double clutching. The new Warford I replaced it with has synchros.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:

My TT has two transmissions. The original Ford 2-speed, with a Warford 3-speed bolted behind. The old school Warford I took off did indeed require double clutching. The new Warford I replaced it with has synchros.

I'd guess one of the adapted borg warner overdrives would make double clutching unneeded on the main box because they freewheel. I know my '59 ford had a non-syncro first, and i never did, it wasnt the cleanest going into first but it did fine.

Downside to those units for a model t is that they DO freewheel, meaning no compression braking. That was also a downside on my'59 too since the brakes were a little small for that heavy thing.

Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:

Great write-up on this at top of previous page, with pics:

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=98621&start=375

Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts ... 63572.html

Another TT axle incase you need any parts

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Shaggy. I believe I have all the parts I need. Interesting that axle has Chevrolet wheels.

Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pulled together enough parts from a couple of axles, to rebuild mine. Well, I did have to buy some parts as well. Anyway, first job is to clean up all the old parts, which had been laying in 600W gear oil for many years. Then lay out the parts and begin assembly.

Assembly starts with attaching the bronze ring gear to one side of the differential housing.

Here is a look at the inside of the differential housing. I didn't know that there were two types of spiders made by Ford. I found that the 2-gear spider was pre-1923 and the 4-gear spider was from 1923-27. From what I have been able to read, Ford made the change to improve durability. My truck, being 1926, uses the 4-gear spider.

Anyway, the axle is dropped through the diff housing half, threaded end first. Then the spider is placed on top and the teeth engaged with the fear on the end of the axle. Here are the axles.

Here is a closer look at the gear on the end of the axle, that meshes with the spider

Here are both diff housing halls, and associated hardware

The other half of the diff housing gets its axle same as the first side. Then the diff housing halves are bolted together, trapping the axle gears and spider inside. This is why you cannot remove Model TT axles without completely disassembling the rear axle. Here is what it looks like at this point:

Next, one of the axle housings is stood up on end and braced to receive the diff/axle assembly. Here are the axle housings

Here is the diff/axle assembly dropped into one of the axle housings

The worm gear assembly is added at this time. It consists of the worm gear, front and rear roller bearings, and thrust bearings.

First the roller bearings go into each end and the sleeves are added over the roller bearings

Next is the thrust bearings

Additional views

Here is another look at the worm installed in the axle housing

Now the other axle housing is dropped on from above, and the two halves loosely bolted together. The entire assembly is laid down horizontally and fully bolted together.

A little black spray paint to make it pretty

An oil seal is fitted over each axle and down into the housing about a foot.

Then its time for the outer roller bearing and sleeve.

The sleeve is driven into the axle housing, and a bump on the sleeve engages a hole in the axle housing. This clocks the sleeve, so a hole in its side lines up with the grease cup (old-fashioned zerk fitting) on the outside of the housing. This way grease can get through the sleeve and into the roller bearing.

The roller bearing is installed

Still some stuff to add, such as the spring perches, backing plates and the entire brake assembly. Then it goes back into the truck and the drive shaft, torque tube and radius rods must be cut to length and installed. Then all the engine electrical, exhaust, and a hundred other things need to be done. I figure I'm about a month away from driving it.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those gears and the complexity are amazing considering how old the truck is. Great pics and explanation of the whole project my friend, how many Golden's can ride in it?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed, cool stuff! :thumbsup2:

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like your pinion is splined to attach to the driveshaft... A way better setup than the model a tapered keyed setup.

Also i know you are only sending 20hp thru the drivetrain, but make sure you torque the brake drums. That taped, keyed setup likes to shear keys when it isnt. 32-48 fords run 225 ft lbs and to the next castellation(but not over 275lbs). I'm sure model t's are a lot less.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The angles on the brass ring gear are fascinating. Thank you.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Those gears and the complexity are amazing considering how old the truck is. Great pics and explanation of the whole project my friend, how many Golden's can ride in it?

The cab is pretty tight. I figure I can take one big golden and one puppy. So, a 1.5 golden capacity

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
It looks like your pinion is splined to attach to the driveshaft... A way better setup than the model a tapered keyed setup.

Also i know you are only sending 20hp thru the drivetrain, but make sure you torque the brake drums. That taped, keyed setup likes to shear keys when it isnt. 32-48 fords run 225 ft lbs and to the next castellation(but not over 275lbs). I'm sure model t's are a lot less.

Yes the worm is splined.

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
usrifle wrote:

The cab is pretty tight. I figure I can take one big golden and one puppy. So, a 1.5 golden capacity

No room in the back with the tow rig?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next