Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Is there such a thing as a "long" truss / mending plate? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
If it was me, I'd just take the old 2 by 4's off and put new ones on. And it's my thinking if it broke once it will break again. But I over build everything I touch with a hammer. :bigsmile:

This wouldn't be so easy to do (and I thought I'd both over-built and over-designed it, but I was wrong). The whole thing was put together with 3/4" x 8" dowels & Gorilla Glue. Now it's reinforced with steel triangular gussets (after the wind blew it off it's hinges twice). I took some pictures last night that I'll post in a while.

I talked to Dunn Lumber, and I can get a 2x6x12' pressure treated for about $17 (or a cedar one for about $50). Since it won't be seen (it's on the back of the gate), I'm thinking pressure treated. I plan to glue & screw the whole thing back together while holding it in place with clamps. I'll use Gorilla glue again, I'll extend the 1/2" bolts holding the gusset plates to accommodate the extra 1-1/2" inch thickness where it's appropriate.

The problem is getting a warm enough and not windy day to work on it, even cold & dry would work. 72-ish square feet of sail area doesn't sound like much, until the wind hits it. I've been hit & pinned against the bumper of my truck by it before, and it wasn't pleasant.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
I talked to Dunn Lumber, and I can get a 2x6x12' cedar for about $50

HOLY MACKEREL!! I get about $20 for a Cedar 2x6x12' and Mine are a full six inches wide by 1.75" thick.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
Quote:

HOLY MACKEREL!! I get about $20 for a Cedar 2x6x12' and Mine are a full six inches wide by 1.75" thick.

Wow, wish you were closer! I have to admit I've got some cedar from PMB that's long and thick enough, I just hate to cut up a slab to do it.

I need to talk to you about 1x6 cedar fence staves. I've got about 130' of 6' fencing that's on its last legs.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
Quote:

Wow, wish you were closer! I have to admit I've got some cedar from PMB that's long and thick enough, I just hate to cut up a slab to do it.

I need to talk to you about 1x6 cedar fence staves. I've got about 130' of 6' fencing that's on its last legs.

I can compete with almost any lumber and beat the quality except on fence boards. Fence boards are a byproduct of large mills cutting down to get the heart for beams and posts. They have the market cornered on cheap fence boards. Most big places get $2-3 for a decent fence board.

If you brought me your OWN cedar logs, it would still cost you $1.05 each for me to cut them from your timber. Now if you need a 1x6 of high quality for furniture or railing/decking I can surpass their quality, but at a higher price.

2x6 and larger is where I can really help. Garden beds, pergolas, trellis, and arbors etc. Clear vertical grain railings and trim etc.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How soon were you going to do this/need the lumber?
I may be heading up your way soon (Ill know tomorrow) and could bring you a stick if I end up going that way.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2