Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Needed: PC Repair Tech 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, we built my wife a PC a year and a half ago and it was working great, but I bought her a new case and this is where it gets messed up. I thought we put everything where it originally was and just transplanted the guts into the new case, but her PC keeps shutting down after startup and we can't figure it out. anyone with a business or knowledge to help? here are her specs:

i7-7820x
msi x299 gaming pro carbon ac mobo
evga 1080 ti sc2 hybrid
corsair h100i v2 aio cpu cooler
corsair rm1000x psu
samsung pro 512gb m.2 (primary)
samsung evo 1tb m.2 (secondary)
windows 10

i can get it to the boot menu, but the pc randomly shuts off and is stupid frustrating. also, the corsair link software doesn't recognize the h100i v2 cpu cooler, so i'm not sure if that's the issue. i've tried lots of troubleshooting, but i'm having difficulty nailing it down. we're going to give it another shot tonight after i get home from work, like relocating some of the fan connections for all the fans and usb connection to the cpu cooler, and cleaning and then reapplying thermal paste to the cpu cooler/cpu. other than that, we are out of options. my wife needs this pc up this week to work. thankfully, i have an identical build (except my mobo is asrock x299) that she can use if we need to leave this cpu with someone to fix. help, please!

thanks, -ek

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did the CPU come off the Mb? Check out the cpu pins closely to make sure they were not bent or broke off. 1 broken pin will do what you described.

A full unplug/replug usually does the trick but that above.....^

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Did the CPU come off the Mb? Check out the cpu pins closely to make sure they were not bent or broke off. 1 broken pin will do what you described.

A full unplug/replug usually does the trick but that above.....^

hm...ok i'll check that. we didn't unplug the cpu from the mb, but i did loosen the screws for the cpu cooler, which is why we're going to clean the surface of the cooler and the cpu. but tonight, we'll check the cpu pins before we reapply the thermal paste. thanks!

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may want to look at the BIOS menu as it’s booting and monitor the CPU temperature. Some computers have default settings to auto-shutdown when the temperature gets too warm. Might save some time and effort in diagnosis, and avoid potential attrition opening the computer up and tinkering.

First convenient link:
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/check-c ... 69612.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kalopsia wrote:
You may want to look at the BIOS menu as it’s booting and monitor the CPU temperature. Some computers have default settings to auto-shutdown when the temperature gets too warm. Might save some time and effort in diagnosis, and avoid potential attrition opening the computer up and tinkering.

First convenient link:
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/check-c ... 69612.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

one of the major issues is the pc doesn't stay powered on long enough for me to get to the bios menu...but the fans for the radiator of the cpu cooler are working, so i'm thinking the cpu cooler may not be fully contacted with the cpu or the cpu may have a bent pin...hopefully not that though.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remove the motherboard, carefully check the stand-off locations on the chassis and make sure they line up with holes on the motherboard. Often the stock screw in stand-offs are not in the right place for the motherboard. This can create a short somewhere, and cause the motherboard to shut down. I have seen this a number of times.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmalleck wrote:
Remove the motherboard, carefully check the stand-off locations on the chassis and make sure they line up with holes on the motherboard. Often the stock screw in stand-offs are not in the right place for the motherboard. This can create a short somewhere, and cause the motherboard to shut down. I have seen this a number of times.

Ok, I’ll have to do this as well. From what I remember, the stand-offs were pretty spot-on, but I will make sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You didnt mention your RAM. If you got 1 or 2 sticks, put them in the other bays. Try booting with 1 at a time. Maybe a bad stick that went during this transition.

My asrock mb has this fancy code shit that displays numbers to show what its doing. Diagnostics tool pretty much. Not familiar with your board but if you got it, watch the number before it shuts down and that will narrow your search.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
You didnt mention your RAM. If you got 1 or 2 sticks, put them in the other bays. Try booting with 1 at a time. Maybe a bad stick that went during this transition.

My asrock mb has this fancy code shit that displays numbers to show what its doing. Diagnostics tool pretty much. Not familiar with your board but if you got it, watch the number before it shuts down and that will narrow your search.

Yeah, we have that as well....and it’s giving an error code of 00 which means cpu error. I’m thinking I’m cooked. Damn.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
UpDog wrote:

Yeah, we have that as well....and it’s giving an error code of 00 which means cpu error. I’m thinking I’m cooked. Damn.

As suggested before, check the pins on the bottom of the CPU, if any of them are out of place (IE bent so they don't go into their respective hole), your machine isn't going to boot properly.

Anecdotal story: while working at MS many moons ago, I came in on a Monday and started my daily tasks in my lab (installing Windows from the latest build on dozens of machines). One of them absolutely refused to boot, and was giving me similar CPU related errors. Since it was one of the newest and fastest machines in the lab, I wanted it up and running for speed tests. Took off the cover and looked inside, the CPU heat sink was in place, so it was unlikely it was anything to do with it directly unless it got cooked running stress over the weekend. Went round and round with it for a couple of hours, wouldn't boot, CPU error. So finally I decided to take the heat sink off so I could look for discoloration or whatever on the chip. Someone had stolen the CPU, and mashed the heatsink back down onto the socket pushing all the goo down into the holes. That machine never ran again. My boss was beyond pissed, and I couldn't figure out why someone would jeopardize their job and possibly their career over something that cost about 4 hours of their time in wages. My boss suspected who it was, but couldn't prove it, so the next time his contract came up he simply didn't renew him.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check to make sure you plugged in the power supply cord that connects to the motherboard near the CPU.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

downhiller wrote:
Check to make sure you plugged in the power supply cord that connects to the motherboard near the CPU.

This was my first inclination. See highlighted below. Power supply cables usually are labeled CPU, and should be plugged into this power socket.

D0 is a CPU initialization error for your motherboard, it probably looks like a 00.

Also, newer CPUs don't have pins, the socket itself has tiny spring loaded contacts. I have seen those get bent, and I have straightened them under a microscope. But, if you never removed the CPU, those aren't going to bend by just moving the motherboard to a new case. I'd not remove the CPU until you've finished troubleshooting power.

If the CPU power on the motherboard is connected. I still say, remove the motherboard and look for any metal standoffs that don't line up with holes on the motherboard.

Manual: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/ ... own-manual

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Listen to this guy, I haven't built a PC up from scratch in probably 15 years.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cpu power cable is definitely connected

EDIT: if you're wondering why i now have an asrock mobo, it's because i switched it out last night after i got frustrated with the msi mobo.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool - so are you all set now, or did the problem follow over to the new MB.

Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next