Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Stolen Gun Safe Found - Kennydale 9/20/2019 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See picture for details...

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So they tried to cut in the side pannel, but somehow got the whole front door off?

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heart wrenching for the owners I'm sure.

So much for 1694 keeping guns off the streets...

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at this from a learning opportunity perspective (not as a victim blaming) it looks like it wasn't bolted down. No sign of fasteners in the bottom

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Looking at this from a learning opportunity perspective (not as a victim blaming) it looks like it wasn't bolted down. No sign of fasteners in the bottom

Not so sure you can make that dtermination. Can't see the bottom. but you can see where the side edge of the flooring carpet - where you would pull it back to access the anchor holes - is tilted/lifted up. not sure that signifies anchoring or not, though

"I love Girl Scout Crack!" ~ usrifle

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:25 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I’m just guessing here but it looks like the locking lugs are in suggesting they defeated the locking mechanism. I’d also guess the door bounced off the hinges when they dumped it, not necessarily that they busted the thing off the hinges during their attempt to open it.

Stack On. Sigh.

ETA- look at the cut out on the side. The over cut suggests it was a circular tool. Maybe a cut off wheel on a grinder or a circ saw. Didn’t take much to defeat that thin skin. Bolt your safes down boys!

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Not so sure you can make that dtermination. Can't see the bottom. but you can see where the side edge of the flooring carpet - where you would pull it back to access the anchor holes - is tilted/lifted up. not sure that signifies anchoring or not, though

Possibly I can't, but

They wouldn't have taken it if they had access to the interior to unbolt it. They'd be in, and have access to the guns

If they ripped it out there would be distortion of the floor from prying or the sides from strapping it and towing it out (like if it was in a garage)

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
I’m just guessing here but it looks like the locking lugs are in suggesting they defeated the locking mechanism. I’d also guess the door bounced off the hinges when they dumped it, not necessarily that they busted the thing off the hinges during their attempt to open it.

Stack On. Sigh.

ETA- look at the cut out on the side. The over cut suggests it was a circular tool. Maybe a cut off wheel on a grinder or a circ saw. Didn’t take much to defeat that thin skin. Bolt your safes down boys!

Maybe it's just the crappy pic but it looks like the lugs are out

With lugs on only one side I bet they cut the hinges and it flipped right open. I don't see signs of prying on the door

ETA- I see one lug on top but it's not on the hinge side

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:39 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

RocketScott wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

Stack On. Sigh.

Maybe it's just the crappy pic but it looks like the lugs are out

With lugs on only one side I bet they cut the hinges and it flipped right open. I don't see signs of prying on the door

ETA- I see one lug on top but it's not on the hinge side

The lugs definitely aren’t flush with the door but if you look inside the door frame on the box it looks like where the lugs are currently sitting would be the unlocked position. The pic shows 1 out on the bottom of the door and if you zoom in you can see something shiny directly opposite the top lug on the hinge side of the door. It looks like the hinge side of the door may have lugs too. I initially thought they’d probably just cut the hinge too until I looked closer at the lugs and their position.

Still just guessing. Wish we could see the other side of the door.

ETA- just to clarify if you look at the inner lip inside the door frame of the safe it appears the lugs would have to extend out almost as far as the edge of the door to engage that lip. Also another clue there. The hinge side of the door frame also appears to have a lip. Why put the lip on that side if there weren’t any lugs on that side of the door? Damn it to hell! We need more pics!!!!! :bigsmile:

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They put a lip on the hinge side for the fire seal

Yea, definitely hard to tell what actually happened

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:09 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

RocketScott wrote:
They put a lip on the hinge side for the fire seal

Yea, definitely hard to tell what actually happened

Well damn it that makes sense too! :frust: