Rules Brads Guns RA I5 Guns & Ammo Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 HP 'virus' scammers 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Claim to be calling from HP, have detected virus on your HP computer.
Want remote access to remove it. (of course they do)
Blah, blah, blah...

This number is spoofed to look like it came from 1-800-711-2884 which really is an HP support number for post sales support.

They will even make up a fake serial number without missing a beat if you ask.
(I ran an HP service center long enough to interpret a serial number in my head with someone just telling it to me over the phone).

Guy had a think Indian accent, sounded like he was in a large boiler room with 100+ people.
Actually sounded like real HP support. Hahahahaha

I played with him for awhile until telling him I really didn't own a HP, and a typical surly goodbye.

HP sells computers. They couldn't give a shit if you have a virus or 20.

And the scammers are getting better every day.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And the moral of the story is to never trust anyone who calls you and asks you for money, information, or to open up your security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:03 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I had one of these clowns call me for the Microsoft scam. When he asked me to go to my computer and tell him what was on the screen I said Ok, I will, but it's turned off... so I wasted a bunch of his time pretending to wait for my computer to boot up. Then I said Ok, my computer is on. He asked what did I see on my screen.... and I said "tits".... I then asked if he had "tits" on his screen....he didn't seem to understand, so I asked him how he liked to cook Dog.... when he didn't understand that I asked him how he liked to cook cow.... well I don't think he liked that and some other guy came on the line. I asked him if he had titties on his screen like all of us in America do. Then he said stop talking and hang up. I politely reminded him they called me and they should hang up... it was a great time talking to Microsoft support, or HP support, Or whoever they are...

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
I had one of these clowns call me for the Microsoft scam. When he asked me to go to my computer and tell him what was on the screen I said Ok, I will, but it's turned off... so I wasted a bunch of his time pretending to wait for my computer to boot up. Then I said Ok, my computer is on. He asked what did I see on my screen.... and I said "tits".... I then asked if he had "tits" on his screen....he didn't seem to understand, so I asked him how he liked to cook Dog.... when he didn't understand that I asked him how he liked to cook cow.... well I don't think he liked that and some other guy came on the line. I asked him if he had titties on his screen like all of us in America do. Then he said stop talking and hang up. I politely reminded him they called me and they should hang up... it was a great time talking to Microsoft support, or HP support, Or whoever they are...

Those guys don't even try anymore. They still identify themselves as "Windows Technical Department" when they call my office. Really? That's the best you could come up with? I like to pretend like I'm following their instructions, waste a bunch of their time, and then proceed to ask questions related to Mac computers. Then I start to push their buttons. Sometimes I even get a laugh before they quickly hang up.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:05 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

You guys are not only wasting scammer's time, you are wasting yours as well. Not that I don't appreciate the tactic!

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've heard of people pointing them to a VM and letting them do whatever they want, when they get tired of wasting the other guy's time, they just reset the VM. I don't think I'd have the time or patience, I'd have to be in the mood to mess with them, and I just can't imagine wanting to do that for very long. I have too many other things I'd rather do, even if it's drinking a beer & playing fetch with the hound.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the same thing happen a while back laughed my ass off at him. It instantly pissed him off. Started trying to tell me that this was a serious situation that I needed to take seriously and give him the information that he needed so he could help me.

I said that's great and all but I haven't owned a hp in almost 10 years, I've owned mac since 2008. So i dunno what the fuck to tell you. He hung up on me

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:30 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

delliottg wrote:
I've heard of people pointing them to a VM and letting them do whatever they want, when they get tired of wasting the other guy's time, they just reset the VM. I don't think I'd have the time or patience, I'd have to be in the mood to mess with them, and I just can't imagine wanting to do that for very long. I have too many other things I'd rather do, even if it's drinking a beer & playing fetch with the hound.

:plusone:
If I start something like this I'd want to dedicate myself to doing a good job, and doing a good job would take a lot of time. It would be fun, but I have some things to do before the summer is over.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My standard reply is eat my dick. They pretty much always understand that.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]